Thread: Best Sketchup version for Professional

Best Sketchup version for Professional

I'm a full time furniture builder that builds the occasional (1x month) built-in or cabinets project. I have finally decided to get and learn Sketch Up, so what is the best version for me? Web only or Pro. Studio at $1200/year is out right now There are several extensions that I am interested in, so I definitely want a version that will allow me to install them.

I have been using 2017 for a while doing very basic drawings.

Thanks

The last time I looked at a web-based version (which was several years ago), it couldn't let me customize my copy with extensions. Or maybe it had a limited number of approved extensions. At any rate, that was a complete non-starter.

I suggest Pro. The web version doesn't allow extensions, of course can't be used offline, and supports fewer import/export options. Pro lets you install extensions, and lets you work offline. IIRC, they have a pretty good chart on the website that goes into more detail. I'm not really familiar with studio; the one feature it adds that I know of is support for energy modeling; probably not an issue for you.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

So many software companies are going towards a subscription model. I think it's terrible for the end user, and if you're not using the software everyday - very bad economics.

Old software works fine, and often is very mature for your typical use cases.

Honestly I would stay with 2017. Personally I use 2016 as it was the last version that worked (unofficially) in a virtual machine. I would strongly avoid web based versions and/or subscription based versions.

If you are committed to learning a design program I would also suggest looking at a CAD program. I'm using Autocad 2018 as a 2-D drafting platform, and won't ever update as it too has gone towards a subscription model. I bring up the CAD as I like using Sketchup to make rough model designs 3-D, but it's kind of a nightmare to make changes to once the model gets to any degree of complexity. Autocad is perhaps a little more complicated to grasp initially, but once you do grasp it making changes is a lot easier. It's also much more useful for actually building off the plans - you can print full size templates, etc. Save that extra money and get a larger format printer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Justice View Post
    I have finally decided to get and learn Sketch Up, so what is the best version for me?
    Given this scenario I would go with SketchUp Make 2017 or the web version for a couple of dozen fully realized (dimensionally correct, joinery, layout) projects. Make will let you add plug-ins. The web version is much better than it was when it first came out as far as navigation and tool-use reliability but, is still pretty restricted as to what you can do with files and add-on stuff.

Your experience with a few projects for free will let you make a better decision when it comes time to pay ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler