Thread: Help please

Help please

I've purchased a set of Atkin's Retreat houseboat plans it calls for 3/4×6 white cedar for the hull. Is there a rule of thumb for converting from solid wood to plywood? Could I use 1/2"ply with fiberglass instead of 3/4" plywood? To save some weight.

Robert
    Last edited by Robert Flowers; 08-20-2020 at 8:53 AM. Reason: Need to add something

Not much help other than you might want to check out " TheWoodwenBoat Forum" for starters.These folks are a wealth of experience and knowledge and willing to share. As always they'll be different ways but you can always get enough good info to get you in the right direction.

Good luck on your build, Lamar

Blog Entries
    You can take a scrap of plywood and finish it like you will the boat and after it drys, put it in a washtub of water and let it age. You will know what to do after that.

Just a thought.

Sorry, can’t help but to add some humor as I just remembered a wooden boat show I went to.
    Note the number on the boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Flowers View Post
    I've purchased a set of Atkin's Retreat houseboat plans it calls for 3/4×6 white cedar for the hull. Is there a rule of thumb for converting from solid wood to plywood?...
    The rule of thumb says to buy plans that are designed for the material you intend to use.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Flowers View Post
    ...Could I use 1/2"ply with fiberglass instead of 3/4" plywood? To save some weight...
    By the time you've used enough fiberglass I doubt that you'd save any weight. You might be worse off, considering how far you'd have to go to make sure the plywood was encapsulated enough to stay dry forever. You really don't want any water at all getting into plywood that's covered with fiberglass. Been there.

I'd stick with the original specs.

If only it was available 60 years ago

Hello Robert,

The answer to your question requires more information that should be on the plans. The first thing you should consider is the strength of a good marine 1/2" plywood depending on the frame spacing of the hull is likely preferable to white cedar. And if available some 60 years ago when those plans were drawn up, would probably have been the wood of choice.

It is also important to note that fiberglass cloth is no substitute for a quality core. Generally 10 or 7 oz cloth is more about abrasion control in a boat of that size than strength. Assuming the frame spacing makes sense, which it likely does, then consider something like a good kevlar or hybrid cloth on the bottom.

If you are concerned though, the simplest solution is to use 3/4" marine ply on the bottom and 1/2" on the sides. If you are working alone, to make it easier to work with, consider ripping the plywood into planks and bead and cove them and put them on the boat using epoxy to glue them together. Bar clamps will pull them together nicely and a couple of layers of 10 oz cloth will tie it all together nicely.

Good luck, and enjoy the journey
    Jackbat