Thread: Method To Remove Masking After Laser Engraving Leather

Method To Remove Masking After Laser Engraving Leather

I've am currently using TransferRite "low tack" transfer paper to mask the leather pieces I engrave to keep them clean.

If the engraved design does not have small details, removing the transfer paper is no problem. However, when the design has small details or is highly detailed, weeding the transfer paper is a problem and a pain.

I've also tried several methods (brushing, vacuuming, cleaners, wiping with a cloth, etc.) to "clean" the smoke/residue from the leather after engraving (in addition to engraving from the bottom up) to allow the "weeding tape" being used to "get a bite" on the transfer paper to remove it from the leather. Removing the smoke and residue is key to removing the remaining transfer paper from the leather, however, I have not found a good means/method for cleaning.

Finally, to remove the remaining "low tack" transfer paper after engraving, I've tried using high tack transfer paper, masking tape (several different types), duct tape and several other adhesive tapes with varied results, at best my results have been mediocre.

I'd like to find one or more of the following:
    A. A tape/transfer paper that has a "lower tack" yet covers the leather without lifting that can be removed with high tack transfer paper or an inexpensive mask tape
    B. A very "high tack" transfer paper or tape that will remove the "low tack" transfer paper I currently use AND that doesn't break the bank
    C. Another method to protect the leather while engraving that is easy to remove

I'm sure this subject has been discussed on this forum previously, but my searches have not found a solution to my problem.

I'd appreciate advice from anyone who has a "proven solution" to this problem.

Thank You
    Roger

I don't have a better way but I understand your pain.

I had some leather engraved last year and they used blue painters tape for the masking. There was a subtle basket weave pattern in each image (twelve total panels) and the tape was an absolute PITA to remove.

The laser folks said that weeding was not included in their quote which is total BS. They showed me how to use precision tweezers to scrape and then lift each little piece of tape. It took hours and hours.

Here's what I bought to do the job but there are certainly other options. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XXXQHS8..._tCOpFbHPHV9MV

I've bought my own laser now and hope there is indeed a better way.

Six Flags Over Texas TimberFire Studio.jpg
    Last edited by Joe Adams; 08-20-2020 at 10:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    I think Most don't mask unless they have to. For the very reason it is difficult to weed. Suggested cleaning is to use baby wipes. I'd try that if you can to see if it will maybe eliminate masking.
    The leather I've engraved has been for me. And have been where I have to shape after engraving and cutting. (holsters and other items) I just wipe or rinse off with water.....
    Obviously you can't do that to customer's items.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Roger Not sure what your making with leather. I do a lot of leather. I put 2 coats of Super sheen on before I engrave then use a damp cloth to wipe of the residue, works for me.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I use a neutral paste wax such a Johnson's floor wax before engraving. Then I can just wipe away residue with a damp cloth or a cloth with some soapy water.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I engrave a lot of leather and have never put any type of tape or finish on before it goes in the laser. Most coloured leather, wipes clean with a damp sponge, some then requires a wipe with isopropyl alcohol. Natural tan leather I use a fair bit of water on the sponge but it always cleans well.
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

Roger what type of leathewr are you engraving?????
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I apologize for the late response. I would like to thank all those who replied to my questions. I've tried most of the suggestions and have found that I've been wasting my time and masking tape.

I usually engrave veg tanned leather as well as some died leather.

Thank You everyone!!!
    Roger

Yea Veg tan if you super sheen before you engrave residue wipes right off with a damp cloth
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Transfer-Rite, I use medium tack when I cut plastics. To loosen its grip, just get it wet. Doesn't have to be dripping wet, just a little wet. It immediately looses about half its grip when you dampen it. Just a hint of dishsoap in the water you're using to dampen it further reduces the adhesive grip. How that would work on leather I'm not sure. On plastics, I've had jobs where I used the laser to cut hundreds of 1/2" x 1" tags. I just throw the whole bunch into a container with warm soapy water. After awhile about 90% of them are tape-free, the stuff just falls off...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle