Thread: Bent Drill Press rack

Bent Drill Press rack

How is it possible to bend the Drill Press rack (the geared piece that raises & lowers the table). I recently saw one bent 6 inches away from the column.
    Thanks in advance, Kevin

I could see it happening if moving it (I taped a blanket around my press column for this reason when we moved). But 6 inches is a lot.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Lock the table in place and crank it to lift wonder why nothing i moving so lean harder on that crank. The rack is 1/2 or less thick on a modern dp compared to my 1950 version. My rack has as much solid as a modern rack has solid +teeth.
    Bil lD.

The way the racks slide around the column when the table is moved sideways, could result in a bent rack too, if either end sticks in the circular collar above or below it. Particularly the bottom one, if (when) it fills with sawdust or swarf. Grabbing the end of the table and swinging it around on the column puts a lot of leverage on the relatively small rack.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Lock the table in place and crank it to lift wonder why nothing i moving so lean harder on that crank.
    Bil lD.
    What he said. DAMHIKT. (I was able to get it to lay back in place)

On another note does anyone know where to get a replacement lift handle for a Jet drillpress (JDP-17MF I think). Preferably not plastic like the OEM one. The wooden one I dabbed worked for a while but rounded out)

John

Blog Entries
    The first version of the Powermatic 2800 was famous for this. It is one of the things they resolved in the 2800B. If the column has friction from poor maintenance and the operator is committed enough, a wimpy rack cannot abide the strength of the leverage applied.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-20-2020 at 1:48 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

This probably did not happen when turning the crank. Probably when pulling on the press handle with the table not locked. (It is a drill press, not an arbor press but sometimes we forget)

Blog Entries
    I hear what you're saying but, I have a nice bent Delta rack that failed while cranking. I had used Boeshield on the column in my errant youth. It can get grippy with age and boy, did it. I wondered why the crank suddenly turned so easily. I only got about 180 degrees but, that was enough ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That reminds me - any suggestions for cleaning the rack? My drill press is getting on the grindy side. Disassemble and vacuum out? Oil? Something in between?