Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for a palm router,,

looking for a palm router,,

i have the old style craftsman router and was thinking about getting a palm router,,,i noticed that none i have seen has the clear protective cover around the bit,,my old craftsman has it and i didnt know if this was something that was not included on the newer routers,,it is kinda a pain at times but it seems like a good idea to protect you when you are using it,,

The Makita has an enclosed case. The dust control is excellent.

This is the powered version. I have attached an external light. The cordless version has an internal light.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have the Dewalt with two bases (plunge & normal ). Cant remember the model #. It is a great little router. I have looked at the Makita that Derek has and would have bought it if I did not already have the Dewalt.

I have the Makita 18 volt cordless. Great router! I haven't taken the 1/2 router out of the table since I got the Makita. It is an impressive compact router. I suspect the corded version is just as impressive. I haven't used the Dewalt router but have only heard good things about it. I suspect you would be happy with either.

I have the Ridgid palm router. I'm normally not a fan of Ridgid power tools, but I like how the switch is set up on it. It slides up from the side, so that when you set it down on its top (the natural way to set it down) it pushes the switch down and turns it off, if you forget to turn it off before hand. As far as being a router, it works as well as anything in that class of tool. I probably use it about as much as my 1/2" routers, mainly for chamfering or rounding over edges.

Blog Entries
    I have the smaller older Ryobi Trim/palm router. I received it as a hand me down. It has surprised me to say the least. I really want a reason to buy the Bosch colt (I have a Bosch in my router table and it’s a great router).

I’ve ended up with 5 routers including the large PC router which is a beast. I also have the DeWalt plunge router which has been going strong for over 20 years.

I really want a reason to buy that colt! But dang it this little Ryobi router is maybe my most used router and works great! I’ve never even looked up the cost of it but it just works. It’s probably 10-15 years old and was used a reasonable amount before I received it about 7-8 years ago.
    So if you find a great reason to buy one of the “higher end” routers let me know so I’ll have my excuse. Until then I’ll keep using this subpar Ryobi that I can’t find a fault with.

Dust collection! It doesn’t have great dust collection! So yeah - I probably would not bother with dust collection for a trim/palm router. But it’s a reason.

One more for Makita

I am plenty glad with Makita palm router. I have their kit with four different bases and accessories.
    I also consider the possibility to purchase an additional one as sometimes it can save time instead of to change frequently two bits...

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    The Makita has an enclosed case. The dust control is excellent.

This is the powered version. I have attached an external light. The cordless version has an internal light.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Has anyone tried the Milwaukee cordless palm router? I have a substantial investment in Milwaukee M18 tools, and would like to stay in the same family if it is any good.

Otherwise, the Makita palm router has my eye.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

My experience with the Colt, is "don't".
    I've found the collet to be a serious weak spot, and I've tried selling it, but no takers off Craigslist in this area.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

I have the Makita as well. It's a very nice router. Soft start. Fit and finish is excellent. Dust collection is pretty good. Reasonably priced as well.

I bought the Dewalt combo unit (has fixed and plunge base) a few months ago. The plunge base saw its first use today when used to cut 312 shelf pin holes for a china cabinet being built. The plunge option was very smooth and Has a nice lock feature.

The Makita router always have a lot of fans here. I was tempted to buy the Makita and waffled back and forth a few times before finally going with the Dewalt. I do not remember what feature (if any) was the deciding factor. Both seem to be very good choices.

i have three trim routers, including the milwaukee cordless - it's my favorite of the bunch. feels good in the hand, good dust collection, powerful, and stops the cutter nearly instantly when you shut it off.

The Dewalt cordless is my favorite. They also make a plunge base for it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Grizzly makes a knock-off of the Makita, MLCS sells the same machine. I have the Griz, I'm certain the finish isn't as good as the Makita but it seems to work fine. I've never used the Makita so can't compare them. $70 includes both bases but showing out of stock right now.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...ge-Base/T27139

I have two Colts and I would not recommend. You are right, the collet area is exposed enough you could easily get a finger in there. The collet, as mentioned is difficult to work with unless you have three hands. And you are also right, I have a Ryobi as well (garage sale find) and it's a good tool.