Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: look what they did to my dust collection

Sorry for reposting to my last post but just got the status where I could see the pictures, been a few years since I posted here.

The transition you show is problematic. You will get material build up in the large duct and that is at minimum a fire hazard and possibly a weight hazard depending on how the duct is supported. Most ductwork is designed for 50% full, but in your situation, you could easily exceed that going from a 6" to a 16" duct. The transition being eccentric with flat on top also promotes material dropping out of the airstream.

Did they do this to cut the system flowrate? Are you only using one machine at a time now? I'm curious as to what they were trying to accomplish.

Mike

Blog Entries
    This could be interesting. I be there will be no dust collecting in the drum for several hours/days/weeks of operation because it's all just going to settle out in that great huge home run duct.

This setup collects 100% of E-learning dust. Very efficient setup this year.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I’m interesting in knowing what the look on the decision makers’ faces was when it was mentioned that the changes made would trigger issues with OSHA and the resulting potential liability...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I’m interesting in knowing what the look on the decision makers’ faces was when it was mentioned that the changes made would trigger issues with OSHA and the resulting potential liability...
    I would assume that a Professional Engineer would be required to design and certify the system, that certainly doesn't look like it happened.......Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I would assume that a Professional Engineer would be required to design and certify the system, that certainly doesn't look like it happened.......Rod.
    I would think that one probably did the original design...and someone else (IE a committe) took a sawsall to that system to change it to the "cute, little pipe" when the OP wasn't watching.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I would think that one probably did the original design...and someone else (IE a committe) took a sawsall to that system to change it to the "cute, little pipe" when the OP wasn't watching.
    Probably correct......Rod.

Clearly the redesigner in this case didn't understand the difference between a dust collector and a shop vacuum. It might work if the system was changed to 10 psi of vacuum, but the cost and noise might be problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Clearly the redesigner in this case didn't understand the difference between a dust collector and a shop vacuum. It might work if the system was changed to 10 psi of vacuum, but the cost and noise might be problematic.
    I don't think they considered anything technical...this was about "how it looks" apparently...and hopefully things were returned to how the system was original designed based on technical specifications.
    --

Was it changed to something appropriate?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

This is just absolutely stupid!! No other words for it. You can't rationalize this sort of ignorance. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Blog Entries
    Playing devil's advocate, this may just be a case of some bean counter being completely uneducated in matters of dust collection systems. But management that won't fix this mess deserves some nasty name thrown their way.

I think everyone is applying far more intentional malice to the action than is due. What I have found is that most ductwork design and installation is done by HVAC firms and they deal in forced air. Yes, it is a completely different animal but 99% of their work is forced air and they don't have any complaints. (rarely does the warm or cool air settle in a duct and block the flow) It sucks (or doesn't) but at least your threat of legal action jogged the initial shut up and go away response you got initially. Hope it all gets sorted out.
    Chuck