Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: look what they did to my dust collection

look what they did to my dust collection

I left for the summer and came back to this. I had a 16" main with a 12" branch. I now have a single 6" main with 3" drops.

There is a 24" planer, 6 bandsaws, 2 tablesaws, 8" jointer,2 , 3 lathes, 16" RAS, 2 drum sanders and 2 routing stations in the shop. The planer itself could use a 7" duct although it worked with the 6" it had.

School districts, gotta love them...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Why did they change anything? Who requested it? Maybe they read 16" as 6".
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by mark kosse View Post
    School districts, gotta love them...
    I think the current fashion is to call this "de-funding", as in, "You have been de-ducted due to de-funding."

Did they do a renovation or something? Why’d they touch the ductwork?

What size dust collector is connected to call for a 16" main? Over sized ducting simply becomes a place for dust to pile up.

The dust collector was sized to the system. I never got up and sized the motor but when it was first installed it was tripping because it was pulling 500 amps. That was with the old pipe. I'm guessing it will be pulling a whole lot of amps again due to not being able to move enough air. They didn't like the pealing paint on the old piping so this is what I got. I caught wind of it in the spring, saw the plans and pleaded with them to leave it alone. They told me they would but then overrode that.

They didn't even put a drop to the powermatic 225.

Probably a good idea to advise them that they have taken a carefully designed system and pretty much crippled it with their ductwork modification. The amp draw, however, will likely go down because these systems draw the most power when they are closer to unrestricted. Close all the gates and the motor is essentially idling under no load.

Not having proper collection including drops for the machines is also a safety hazard for which they could conceivably be held liable. This is the equivalent of commercial space in many respects and there are strict rules about things like dust collection, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Yes, the current draw will go way down because of the restrictive duct. Maybe that's their way of solving the breaker problem? Pretty lame.

Blog Entries
    Site the fact that they are jeopardizing the health of their students.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

When I returned to school and questioned it I was told "It's done. Nothing we can do." I then asked how to file a grievance against the district. Now all the sudden we're looking into changing it.

Quote Originally Posted by mark kosse View Post
    When I returned to school and questioned it I was told "It's done. Nothing we can do." I then asked how to file a grievance against the district. Now all the sudden we're looking into changing it.
    Be sure to drop the safety thing I mentioned in your conversations now that they are started...over and above the compromised system design, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It is a place of employment, so OSHA standards for air quality and safety should apply.

Will the noise outside go up or down with the restrictions? I bet the cyclone will not work well so far below the planned flow rate and velocity. Blowing sawdust outside for students to breathe is also a health hazard for OSHA to look into.
    Bill D

I'd try to show I wasn't involved in the change . Limit your own liability down the road .

I would assume they changed the fan too. I’m just guessing based on experience but a fan that normally draws 500A (voltage?) will not be happy on a system with only a 6” duct