Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Be gentle-----New to bowls

Be gentle-----New to bowls

I bought a large lathe(Laguna 18/36) about a year and a half ago. I bought it to make round tops for octagonal boxes that I make on occasion. While I make mostly a variety of items that wouldn't be classified as turning, it was inevitable that I would get drawn into the vortex of turning a bowl and so here goes. This was my first attempt after reading and watching a lot of how to videos. So many different processes and step by step procedures. One thing that I like is the many different ways that it can be done.....faceplates, chucks, worm screws, jam chucks, etc. The wood is Black Limba. 7" at the widest point and 3" tall. Finish is Yorkshire grit paste and then Yorkshire Grit Microfine paste. I had a couple of 8/4 boards that I have had for awhile and I thought the grain would be interesting. Full disclosure--I had originally planned to use this piece as a top to an octagonal box so I had drilled a 1/8" hole all the way through which is eventually used as a hole for a bolt to hold on a turned knob or lift. So I do have to put a small 1/8" plug in the bottom. Good news is that my wife likes it and wants keep it so I don't have to worry about selling it with a hole in the bottom!

Critiques are welcome. I know I could have gone in a million different directions on the shape, I tried to just turn it and follow whatever happened. I think with experience I will be better equipped to come up with an idea and then execute the idea. I want to try some segmented stuff also.

Jim
    20200818_201547.jpg
    20200818_201553.jpg
    20200818_201613.jpg
    20200818_201618.jpg

Jim -- That's very nice. For a first bowl, it's spectacular! I think you hid the glue joint well. I cannot spot it in the pictures.

Now, go turn another. It will probably be even nicer than this one.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Good job Jim. An interesting shape and I really like the grain. All the little dots are an eye catcher. I have not seen black Limba before. Perhaps some of your future boxes will become round.

Looks good Jim!
    I think I'll see if I can find some Black Limba. A plan is good but it's fun to mount a piece and see what pops out.

That is a very good job for a first bowl and a difficult shape. I would strongly recommend working on more open bowls at the beginning with a gentle rounding inside at bottom and learn tool control before going to the steep side and flatter bottom. I recommend turning 2x6 lumber for quick lessons on bowl turning that helps avoid the temptation to make the more complicated styles. Turning the 2x6 will also show grain and make you sharpen your tools to learn sharpening to prevent tearout. Have fun. You got the lathe to do some great things.

Beautiful job, much nicer than my first bowl that I turned under supervision. Keep in mind that abrasive paste is not a final finish but a step to preparing the surface for a finish, like Antique oil, lacquer or whatever. It will be shiney for a while but will not hold that look after it gets passed around a few times.
    God is great and life is good!

Nice! The curves of your shape look great.

I got some 8/4 Black Limba a couple of years ago and tried a few things. The figure is nice and the color is interesting but it's a little soft/lightweight for my taste, at least the plank I got. (I generally like harder/heavier wood.) Your's has a warmer look compared to what I have, perhaps the lighting or what you put on the wood.

JKJ

Thanks for all the kind comments. I am definitely enjoying the process of learning about the lathe. I feel like I have a general knowledge but do need a lot more experience to feel more confident about what I'm doing. I also do other types of woodworking so I have to try and stay patient as I learn on the lathe.
    Thomas, I try to stay patient and go slow but at my age(70) I can't wait too long to try new things!

Mike, Thanks for the tip about the abrasive paste. I will probably go back and apply an oil finish( maybe Danish Oil or some Tried and a True wax/Oil finish.

John, The Black Limba is pretty soft and light....but it takes a finish pretty well. I, like you, tend to steer toward exotics and heavier woods but I had this handy and thought I give it a whirl(no pun intended).

Jim

If you are already into making boxes chances are you have most (if not all) the tools needed to make segmented bowls. If you haven't take a look into it. It's a good way to use up smaller pieces of wood. But be warned, it can get addictive. At first my wife wouldn't allow me to give away anything. A dozen yarn bowls has finally convinced her differently.

Alex,
    I am already hooked on that process. The possibilities are infinite. Built a wedgie jig, etc. Just been to busy to plan out a bowl yet......but soon!

Jim

Hi Jim,

Terrific first effort! Free form “going with the flow” can be fun but I find that I like to take a look at the piece of wood and think through what I am trying to accomplish and/or learn and draw out a quick sketch. It helps you be a little more directive in terms of the outcome. Not better or worse than free flow. Just something to think about.

I have recently made a few segmented pieces after a couple of years of turning bowls on the weekends and it is quite rewarding. My advice there is to get some more practice with solid pieces. Only because the segmented pieces take a lot of time to get ready and IMO you don’t want to be learning some of the basic skills on a segmented piece and possibly messing it up.

enjoy!

I suggested segmented simply because you are working with kiln dried wood and no end grain. Green wood has it's advantages but between end grain and the time it takes to dry (and the possibility of cracking) can discourage new turners. Don't get me wrong, there's issues when it comes to segmented bowls as well. For someone new to woodworking I personally think that it's best to wait until you feel very comfortable turning solid wood before looking into it. One of the biggest is the number of tools needed to get gap free glue joints. If one has most or all of the needed tools and the skills needed then it's a good way to make a finished bowl or vessel in days, not months. It sounds like Jim is hooked.

Thanks Alex. One of the aspects of turning I like is that you can get to a finished project in a shorter time frame. I am not new to woodworking , not totally new to turning, just new to bowl/vessel turning. Segmentation certainly slows that process down some but the outcome seems like it would be worth it.

Jim

Alex that is a good point about side grain. Jim, of course I am well aware of how skilled of a woodworker you are. The Windsor chair you made is so beyond my skills I couldn’t even aspire to making one like that some day. Neither am I an expert at bowl turning having only been turning for a couple of years. I was just trying to offer some friendly advice. I find that the “steps” in the segmented pieces require good tool control as well as some experience with getting the transitions in the curved line you are going for.

Dan,
    You got me mixed up with someone else. I-ve not worked up the nerve to attempt a Windsor Chair. Maybe you meant Alex. Maybe one day I might attempt.....but this lathe has my attention right now. ��

Jim