I bought a large lathe(Laguna 18/36) about a year and a half ago. I bought it to make round tops for octagonal boxes that I make on occasion. While I make mostly a variety of items that wouldn't be classified as turning, it was inevitable that I would get drawn into the vortex of turning a bowl and so here goes. This was my first attempt after reading and watching a lot of how to videos. So many different processes and step by step procedures. One thing that I like is the many different ways that it can be done.....faceplates, chucks, worm screws, jam chucks, etc. The wood is Black Limba. 7" at the widest point and 3" tall. Finish is Yorkshire grit paste and then Yorkshire Grit Microfine paste. I had a couple of 8/4 boards that I have had for awhile and I thought the grain would be interesting. Full disclosure--I had originally planned to use this piece as a top to an octagonal box so I had drilled a 1/8" hole all the way through which is eventually used as a hole for a bolt to hold on a turned knob or lift. So I do have to put a small 1/8" plug in the bottom. Good news is that my wife likes it and wants keep it so I don't have to worry about selling it with a hole in the bottom!

Critiques are welcome. I know I could have gone in a million different directions on the shape, I tried to just turn it and follow whatever happened. I think with experience I will be better equipped to come up with an idea and then execute the idea. I want to try some segmented stuff also.

Jim
20200818_201547.jpg
20200818_201553.jpg
20200818_201613.jpg
20200818_201618.jpg