Thread: Grabbing the attention of the experts.

Wallstrasse 28, Hessen, 35321, Laubach, Germany

Question Grabbing the attention of the experts.

Hey guys

I don't know if this post belongs here, but I have a few questions. If the thread needs to be moved, please do and I apologize about my mistake.

As far as i remember i bought a fixed base router Dewalt dw616 near six months back. but recently I am having problems with circle cutting and jointing so i am thinking of buying a plunge base router which is the same brand (Dewalt: dwp611pk). Let me tell you first that i am a newbie in this sector.

This video talks about the problem of balancing the plunge router
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSZUZKM45ps

After seeing this video i am getting totally confused
    That's why i grabbing the attention of the experts, What may i do or any personalized suggestion of yours would be highly appreciated.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-23-2020 at 6:03 PM.

George,

What troubles exactly are you having with circle cutting? And when you say 'jointing', what do you mean?

There's a place for a plunge base and a fixed base. It's a good idea to take a dry run if you need to run an edge on something. There's a balance point when holding the router. Keeping that balance is the key to prevent tipping.

Also, you need to not get too greedy on cut depth. Two lighter passes go much smoother. On deep cuts it could mean four passes.

Then there's regular cuts vs climb cuts. I really wouldn't recommend climb cuts until you're comfortable with regular cuts.

Hope this helps. Jeff

Blog Entries
    I will assume the trouble with circle cutting is the starting point. A plunge router will certainly help with that as it allows you to plunge to start the cut while the router base rests firmly on your material. In this situation you would have the router attached to a jig or a trammel to set the circles diameter so, no tipping problems there. Tipping issues can exist with any router. It is a matter of where the center of gravity sets on a tool that cuts (generally) in the center of its own weight.

Except for light work where the router is easily controlled or when using a lightweight router (like a trim router) I prefer a teardrop shaped base. This can be a commercial product or shop made, I use both. I use them enough that I picked up a couple more when Rockler recently had a great sale on them. Here is one I have used for many years on medium sized routers, both fixed and plunge bases.

Router Flush Trim 4.jpg . Offset Plunge Base (6).jpg

I also use them on smaller routers when not using a plunge base.

Colt-Offset-2.jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-18-2020 at 10:20 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks a lot for helping a fellow newbie. It means a lot. Seems like plunge and fixed have their own benefits. I found a plunge base for my existing router. I am going to buy that. Thank you both for your suggestions.

Some guy named Alex Shawn asked the very same questions with the very same links on Woodweb. What a strange coincidence! https://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/foru...pl?read=845266

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Some guy named Alex Shawn asked the very same questions with the very same links on Woodweb. What a strange coincidence! https://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/foru...pl?read=845266
    Hello Richard, Yes, I have shared it in many places because experts should be consulted before buying anything.
    This is my ID and Alex is my brother.

For your information, let me tell you that if you have a discussion with one person, you will get better results if you have discussion with 10 people.

Hope you understand.

Quote Originally Posted by George Gibson View Post
    Hello Richard, Yes, I have shared it in many places because experts should be consulted before buying anything.
    This is my ID and Alex is my brother.

For your information, let me tell you that if you have a discussion with one person, you will get better results if you have discussion with 10 people.

Hope you understand.

I understand, but it was just curious to see another name used to ask on a professional woodworker's site. Is he a professional woodworker? Surprised he couldn't help you with the circle and joinery questions.

No his is not. He is not interested in woodwork but me. I opened using his email.