Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tell me about Retirement...The good, the bad, the ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I dont think anyone mentioned - naps. Take one whenever you want. There's nothing on TV during the day anyway.
    You know you're an adult when you think taking a nap is a good thing.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Sadly, I can't do naps...never have been able to in my entire life. They make me feel like a truck ran over me for some reason...
    I can't do naps either. If I am so tired a nap is even possible, it ruins me for the rest of the day and keeps me up late that night, messing with the next day too. Instead of a nap, a bit of rest with a book/Kindle is best for me.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I can't do naps either. If I am so tired a nap is even possible, it ruins me for the rest of the day and keeps me up late that night, messing with the next day too. Instead of a nap, a bit of rest with a book/Kindle is best for me.

JKJ
    Yea, that's similar for me. Other than when I was really sick in April with what was likely COVID-10, but unproven, napping just isn't happening for me. So I read. Voraciously.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Some people just don’t do napping. If you need one and don’t want the hangover part, set an alarm clock for 5 minutes longer than how long it takes to fall out. For me about 15 minutes. I’ve always been a power napping expert but it’s necessary due to meds. Don’t nap after 5pm though unless it’s by accident.

I'm starting to wonder how pro-nap/anti-nap correlates to time-enjoyer/time-filler...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I fall asleep while reading sitting up in my chair quite reliably between 8 and 8:30, then I'm good for another 2 hours. If you don't intend to go to sleep does it count as a nap? Never taken a nap intentionally.

Two important areas I would like to add
    (1) Maintaining bone strength Often they breaks and fractures old people experience are different from younger people Older people the brakes and fractures often result from going from a stationary position to movement
    Example an older person steps off a curb and their ankle breaks An older person is sitting in a chair and uses thier hands and arms to lift themselves up and their wrist fractures The main factor in these types of injury is a lack of bone strength If you contrast this with young people their breaks and fractures are often from going from motion to stop Example A young person is running and trips
    I hope these examples demonstrate the importance of maintaining bone strength and this is particularly important for women

(2) Maintaining or reducing the decline in muscle strength If we ignore this area particularly with leg muscle strength then we could face a situation were all of our other life needs are met but we are unable to get out of the chair Having limited or no mobility could greatly impact on quality of life

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    (2) Maintaining or reducing the decline in muscle strength...
    (1)...the importance of maintaining bone strength..

At 70 the farm and activities, including walking an average of a 5 miles a day, seems to keep my muscle strength up, arms, back, legs.

But how does one maintain bone strength? Good diet along with exercise?

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    (

But how does one maintain bone strength? Good diet along with exercise?

JKJ
    Weight bearing exercise-- something like swimming will be great for cardio but not stimulate bone maintenance/development. Weight training certainly, but also walking, running, probably even zumba. do your squats. Getting tested for and treated as required for osteoporosis is worthwhile, though the effectiveness of the various treatments isn't fantastic.

Baling hay is probably one of the more effective things you could possibly do. I'm hoping that hefting logs onto the lathe will work.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Weight bearing exercise-- something like swimming will be great for cardio but not stimulate bone maintenance/development. Weight training certainly, but also walking, running, probably even zumba. do your squats. Getting tested for and treated as required for osteoporosis is worthwhile, though the effectiveness of the various treatments isn't fantastic.

Baling hay is probably one of the more effective things you could possibly do. I'm hoping that hefting logs onto the lathe will work.
    I would tremendously enjoy baling hay again, however no way, no how could I stand up on a moving wagon behind the baler again or walk across a hay mow carrying hay bales. Do still have the hay hooks I used when young. Got them at my Uncle Carl's Sale late 90's. Told him I wanted them as I took them out of the baler before the auction started. He refused any money and told me I paid for those a long time ago. Also have two mowing scythes from my grandfathers sale in 1984, might be able to swing one of those 2 or 3 times before I fell down.
    Ron