Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone building anything?

Hi all,

Thanks for the great thread and what a bunch of great work!

Mike, thanks-yes that's a stash of local air dried walnut I heard that air dried yucca works pretty well, but only with PMV-11.

Jeff, yes, a B-18 which I love. And I agree it is too bad they closed doors. I haven't had any issues with parts (fingers crossed)--what's gone wrong with yours?

Ken, hope you are full recovered!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

After a little over 2 years effort, I have the shop back together. Much tweaking to do, but this may be as clean as it ever gets.

IMG_7962.jpgIMG_7957.jpgIMG_7960.jpg

The last big task for the shop will be an improvement to the floor as it is a far cry from level. But that will be a while.

And, though I'm still working on the sheds and other house projects, the LOML asked for a desktop for some metal legs she bought many years ago to use as an art table. I had a 12" x 3" x 5' slab of (horse?) chestnut that had been outside for a couple years and was given to me by a friend. I resawed and found that it is a bit of a blingly piece with some nice splating. Still need to flatten the bottom and finish, but really, really exciting to be getting back to some fine work after lots of carpentry, sheetrock, electrical, and painting!

IMG_7967 2.jpgIMG_7973 2.jpg

Again, thanks to all for sharing your work and ideas.

Best,
    Chris
    --Yogi Berra

Ahhh, the obligatory purple yard sale chest ! Hey, good to see where good stuff happens! How thick is that really thick
    bench top ?!

Hey Mel,

Yeah, the dresser was one left in a house I was in grad school that we used as a changing station for one of my sons

My bench is 4" thick. The slab at the beginning of the thread is a bit over 5" !
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks for the great thread and what a bunch of great work!

Ken, hope you are full recovered!
    Chris,

Thanks for asking, sad to say the answer is no, I'm still cripping around with just one good wheel. Which is the reason I haven't started on the shop cabinets yet.

Soon I hope,

ken

Awls and Chisels

This is the time of year when I retreat into a climate controlled shop to escape the daily heat. Outdoor projects on hold until cooler weather.

I've been making awls and chisels. Chisel handles are Desert Ironwood. Awls are Olive and infused curly maple.

Attached Images Attached Images

I love the look and feel of desert ironwood Ron. It's simply gorgeous! I am, unfortunately, highly allergic to it, which is a shame.. it's cheap as chips in turning scrap boxes here.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Hey Mike,

I like to buy blanks that allow me to get all the handles for a set of chisels from the same piece. Unfortunately it's not "cheap as chips" that way.

I'm the same with cocobolo. Maybe not highly allergic but certainly have developed a sensitivity to it. If I work Cocobolo it requires suiting up and a downdraft table.

Ron

Meet Mjolnir the mortising mallet! Hah kidding aside it's large even for me (I'm 6' 2" but medium build, not barrel chested). I rather like it though, the head is persimmon wood. Can be pretty gentle by just holding it close to the head.

A few day ago I picked up 60BF of Alder to start redoing some of my shop cabinets. Yesterday I decided to repurpoise some the Alder to a kitchen trash can for MsBubba. Here are the blanks waiting to be cleaned up and glued into four panels.

woodKitchenTrashCan.jpg

This should be a quick build, glue up four panels, cut some rabbets, Glue and nail the panels together and finish with oil.

BTW, it was good to do something in the shop. It has been almost two months, I'm still gimping around on a bad wheel but it is well enough to do some work.

ken

Waiting on the 3rd Wednesday of the month for the monthly check....then I can buy enough lumber to build the new case for all my tap & dies....

Old one is getting a bit ratty..
    Next Project, tap and die box.JPG
    And will need to add a box full to the case..
    Next Project, rest of the set.JPG
    Thinking Poplar instead of the usual Ash.....

New space needs new storage, what l did bring from the old shop was spoiled by packrats. So now it's things in order of what's irritating me most.

Got more sheetrock up on Saturday, so now the bench area is pretty much ready to start building/hanging storage by the bench. Yesterday, while not hand tool specific, and since I do have a bunch or storage to build, I got the longer fence rail and an extension table built and installed on my tablesaw.

So today, I started on a saw till. I'm also fighting a fouling mouth on my old #7. I think I have it mostly solved.

BTW, Ken it's good to see you're back to working. It's nice to be back in the shop.
    Last edited by mike stenson; 09-07-2020 at 3:23 PM.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Just finished a little bookcase and I've started on a new dining table - cherry top, maple trestle frame. I'm prepping all my rough-cut stock with hand planes, so it's a lengthy process, but a relaxing one.

Sawbuck 001.jpgDoes a humble sawbuck count?
    Repurposed lumber from a potting table that was not being used as such.
    Got a chance to use it due to a squall that came through Sun. the 6th.
    Better than trying to hold branch over a knee with one hand and
    sawing with the other (and wondering why you're bleeding)
    Last edited by Mike Hutchison; 09-10-2020 at 8:21 AM. Reason: ommission

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    New space needs new storage, what l did bring from the old shop was spoiled by packrats. So now it's things in order of what's irritating me most.

Got more sheetrock up on Saturday, so now the bench area is pretty much ready to start building/hanging storage by the bench. Yesterday, while not hand tool specific, and since I do have a bunch or storage to build, I got the longer fence rail and an extension table built and installed on my tablesaw.

So today, I started on a saw till. I'm also fighting a fouling mouth on my old #7. I think I have it mostly solved.

BTW, Ken it's good to see you're back to working. It's nice to be back in the shop.
    Mike,

Thanks.

It looks like we are working on much the same kind of project. I'm in the panel glue up stage, combined with the day job it is going slowly.

ken