Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone building anything?

Bill,

Very nice. I've got a phono stage I've made that now needs a chassis, so that's going to happen fairly soon. I think you'll enjoy the stands.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Bill, guilty as charged. The new stands are looking great!

Does buying 60 BF of Alder count or do I have to saw some of it .

Two things should come out the other end, a new kitchen trash container and at least one shop cabinet. The trash container will be first.

ken

I am building a new router table ... the powered type ...

Okay, once done, I start on staked bar stools for the kitchen.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Bill,

Very nice. I've got a phono stage I've made that now needs a chassis, so that's going to happen fairly soon. I think you'll enjoy the stands.
    Interested to hear about your phono stage. Is it A2 or PM-V11?
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

Blog Entries
    Does buying 60 BF of Alder count or do I have to saw some of it .
    Got you beat on the Alder. Though mine was in pieces of 12" or less, sold by the yard and was tossed in the wood shed for heat this winter.

Though there was about a dozen or so pieces that looked very nice and are now on the wood rack in the shop.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I just finished and finally delivered a walnut table I made for a past co-worker.
    Style wise it is not a table I particularly care for nor would I make it for myself, but he and his wife had some specific ideas on what they wanted. They were both very happy with it.
    I do admit that I liked both the leg stowage and leg mounting hardware I came up with.
    It was enjoyable working on something where the walnut was payed for by someone else.

Now its time to clean up the garage and find a smaller project to work on.

20200809_170300.jpg
    20200803_202838.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I am building a new router table ... the powered type ...

Okay, once done, I start on staked bar stools for the kitchen.

Regards from Pert

Derek
    After being inundated with all the CS staked furniture for the last couple of years, I'll be anxious to see how you approach your stools. Got any innovations on mind for the router table?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    After being inundated with all the CS staked furniture for the last couple of years, I'll be anxious to see how you approach your stools. Got any innovations on mind for the router table?
    Hi Curt

They are separate. One is just a router table integrated into the outfeed of my Hammer K3 slider (replacing the previous one). There is a longer story to this, and it involves building a SOTA router table fence, and putting together a serious router table (I do not plan to build another) with lift, etc for a small fraction of retail costs. I shall post detail once it is done. (ironically, I do not use a router table much, so this is a luxury .. and a challenge to build it for as little as possible without sacrificing quality).

The K3 came with this short outfeed ...

This is the router table added in ...

I need to move the switch box inward.

Under the plate is a large Elu router hooked up to a Router Raizer and Muscle Chuck. Now to build the fence.

The stools are a three-legged design, and I post this as well at some stage.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 08-31-2020 at 1:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wittrock View Post
    I just finished and finally delivered a walnut table I made for a past co-worker.
    Style wise it is not a table I particularly care for nor would I make it for myself, but he and his wife had some specific ideas on what they wanted. They were both very happy with it.
    I do admit that I liked both the leg stowage and leg mounting hardware I came up with.
    It was enjoyable working on something where the walnut was payed for by someone else.

Now its time to clean up the garage and find a smaller project to work on.

20200809_170300.jpg
    20200803_202838.jpg
    I really like your reinforcement of the corners and the removable legs. Good work.

Have recently built 2 items for the shop (so far) since building that Tool Chest...
    Seems I bought a "new" grinder to replace the old one. Decided I didn't want to just toss it out, but set it up to polish and buff items. Needed a way to attach the grinder to the bench, and then put the grinder back on a shelf when not needed. Nothing fancy....a piece of 3/4" thick Pine Scrap, screwed to a piece of 3/4" plywood...
    Shop Improvements, Buffer Base details.JPG
    Then the old grinder screwed down to the plywood...
    Shop Improvements, new buffer, base 1.JPG
    May add a strip of foam drawer liner to the cleat, so the bench doesn't "Vibe" as much. Just open the bench vise, sit the base's cleat into the vise, clamp it down. There is a power strip behind the bench (lights, bandsaw..)
    Shop Improvements, new buffer 2.JPG
    Next....Seems an old Monarch 4" No. 215 Metalworkers' vise was sitting behind the sanding machine....in a bad spot ( sanding dust and grit piling up on it, not enough room to use the vise) Vise was my late FIL's Uncle's, bought new back in 1945, or so....been passed down to me. Wanted to keep it going. Un-hooked it from it's perch, cleaned the crud off....decided a shot of Rustoleum Black would be in order....while the paint dried.....Dug up a strip of 5/4 Ash ( seemed to be about the right size..) and cut another plywood base....3 screws to attach the base to the cleat...needed 3 holes through the base for the 3 bolts that attach the vise...
    Shop Improvements, Base details, vise.JPG
    Had to "run" the vise all the way out..
    Shop Improvements, vise base.JPG
    To access the back bolt....vise is about a 50 pounder...and about as easy to carry around as a 50 pound bag of Dog Food. Seems stable enough...close it up, to make sure it cleared the bench's vise handle..
    Shop Improvements, vise completed.JPG
    Ready for metal working, again.
    Shop Improvements, Model numbers.JPG
    Has a Lion's head logo, No. 215 Monarch....casting date stamp as 10-45...should be good to go until 2045?

Not really 'building' per-se, but I finally reorganized things a bit. Got my a rack up for my track tires (now above the bicycles, that's a lot of floor space saved), added more over head lighting, and moved some more around.. but mostly got a 45º insert made for my tablesaw on Sunday (that's been on my to-do-list since the last one got grabbed by a puppy) so I got some French cleats up in the bench area.

Now, I just need to get something down on the floor, move the bench (and eventually put up some sheetrock on the wall to the right, but I have rough electrical to finish first).

~mike

happy in my mud hut

It's been hot and humid this summer here, but have been making slow progress on bed frames for my 3 boys. I made the mistake of buying hickory when I went to the sawmill, the stuff feels like iron compared to pine. Really enjoying working on my new bench though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Mikes View Post
    It's been hot and humid this summer here, but have been making slow progress on bed frames for my 3 boys. I made the mistake of buying hickory when I went to the sawmill, the stuff feels like iron compared to pine. Really enjoying working on my new bench though.
    Steven,

Nice bench.

You have to be into S&M to work Hickory but it is pretty when finished. My kitchen cabinet's shelves are Hickory, nice but never again.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Mikes View Post
    Holy Moly Steven! What is that mallet in the second picture used for? Looks like a viking war hammer, or something to pound circus tent stakes? (Or you're a really big guy.) Darn nice bench though!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”