Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone building anything?

Richard, Fine Woodworking did a shaker writing desk and it answers some of your questions. Not sure if you can see without a subscription, but it was a desk built by Christian Becksvoort. He puts a drawer in a relatively shallow apron. The key was the drawer front was the full width of the apron. There was a drawer support frame attached to the front apron stubs at each leg that spanned the front of the desk.

His desk was 30” high with a 3-4” wide apron.

I like that idea. I could even maintain the curved bottom I think. Back to Sketchup. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    I don't know if this counts but I'm recycling some old furniture, an oak dresser and maple desk. The boards I'm getting are 13/16" thick and fairly wide. The desk is solid maple but wasn't designed for today's computer chairs so it will become stock for shop projects and secondary wood. The oak dresser supplied me with enough aged oak to build a simple desk. I'm still working on disassembling but will start the desk pretty soon I think. I posted the design beginnings in the design forum but may as well post it here as well.

I took the height from my work desk. It doesn't leave much stock for the drawer. My question for you furniture builders is, can I cut a center section from the apron and add a drawer? Can I make the desk a little taller and the apron wider?

Attachment 439743
    Richard, I posted a build here quite recently where there was a drawer inside a shallow apron.

The link to my website is here (scan down to Transformations): http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/index.html

There is a complete rundown of the construction.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I am an infrequent poster these days. Most of my activity has been in the Turning forum and even then some years back. I did recently build a comb back Windsor that I posted a few months ago that some of you may have seen. That chair has led to three more that are in various stages of completion - another comb back, a fan back, and a sack back. I will complete them in that order, but here are pics of the piles of parts. The crest for the comb back is in the kiln, but it is completely carved. All the comb back spindles have been sized and the arm rail has been carved. The comb back seat is laid out, but I am waiting 2-3 weeks until the weather cools a bit. Saddling a seat is not an enjoyable task in 90* temps!

Left to right - sack back, fan back, and comb back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I am an infrequent poster these days. Most of my activity has been in the Turning forum and even then some years back. I did recently build a comb back Windsor that I posted a few months ago that some of you may have seen. That chair has led to three more that are in various stages of completion - another comb back, a fan back, and a sack back. I will complete them in that order, but here are pics of the piles of parts. The crest for the comb back is in the kiln, but it is completely carved. All the comb back spindles have been sized and the arm rail has been carved. The comb back seat is laid out, but I am waiting 2-3 weeks until the weather cools a bit. Saddling a seat is not an enjoyable task in 90* temps!

Left to right - sack back, fan back, and comb back.
    John,

Building chairs is addictive, nice pile of parts. BTW, I wish for temps in the 90's .

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    John,

Building chairs is addictive, nice pile of parts. BTW, I wish for temps in the 90's .

ken
    I wish for those temps in January and when they arrive, I wish for January.

Blog Entries
    John,

ken
    That is understandable with today's forecast:

Tucson, AZ Forecast.png

We haven't hit 100º around here for a couple of years. We have come close recently.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

John,

ken
    This weekend! Then we'll be back to ~ 105º it seems. This summer has been, very hot.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

About to start a Dutch Tool Chest. Just getting back into woodworking after 7+ years off. Don't have a lot of hand tool storage space so the Dutch Tool Chest seems like the way to go.
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

My friend offered to help hang my air filtration unit so I had to build a safety cage around a skid. As I would be responsible for whoever was aloft, I kinda over engineered it.
    It is not fancy, but it is certainly safe and strong. Every part interlocks with the other and the bottom is banded with aircraft cable with loops at the end which I thread chain through to hold it to the tractor.
    & X 5/16 Lags hold it to the skid and a double 3/4 ply floor provides stability. Still needs paint!
    Gerg in cage.jpgSafety Cage.jpg

I'm giving a check ride today, if it does not run long I'll stop by the local woodstore and pick the first load of Alder for the new shop cabinets and start prep and layout Sunday. If it runs long, then it will be Monday before I can get the wood. Anyway within the next few days I will start on changing out the shop's cabinets. I expect it will be a PITA with pulling the old ones off, finding somewhere to store all the stuff and fitting the new cabinets into the available space. BTW, the tool trays may become more than dust and shaven catchers for awhile.

It will be good to get back in the shop doing something other than pushing iron around on stones.

ken
    So Ken, is your shop air conditioned? Mine is not. If I do not get up at 0-dark-thirty, I just cannot work (and if I do, I cannot make any noise). The humidity we have recently had pretty much floored me. Cold spell coming - temps in lower 90s here for about 3 days. Of course, today was forecast to be lower 90s and it hit 100

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    So Ken, is your shop air conditioned? Mine is not. If I do not get up at 0-dark-thirty, I just cannot work (and if I do, I cannot make any noise). The humidity we have recently had pretty much floored me. Cold spell coming - temps in lower 90s here for about 3 days. Of course, today was forecast to be lower 90s and it hit 100
    \

Curt,

I'm the same, no AC. I will usually work early AM and late afternoon this time of year. Sometimes SWMBO will fuss a little if I'm chopping something at 0300 and forget to close the door but most of the time no problem. Like Mike said above, this Summer has been a killer with temps remaining high after the sun goes down because of a long Monsoon.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    This weekend! Then we'll be back to ~ 105º it seems. This summer has been, very hot.
    Mike,

This is the first Summer I've contemplated moving back to Oregon. It takes a lot of heat to run this old desert rat off, this year may have done it, at least for the Summer.

ken

Mike,

This is the first Summer I've contemplated moving back to Oregon. It takes a lot of heat to run this old desert rat off, this year may have done it, at least for the Summer.

ken
    This is the worst summer I've been here for and I moved here in '95. It's been ridiculously hot, so I can't say I blame you. There have been days this summer when we've been able to tell it's hot out (by feel, let alone by the over-worked compressor and the puddle outside by the condenser drain that has been well loved by colorado river toads), sitting in our air-conditioned, adobe, house.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Two projects concurrent now that they're both in the glue-dry/finish-dry/wait for better weather stage.

The chassis for an amplifier for which the finish is back on track now that I added a dozen drops of red mahogany to the amber shellac (the pic is pre Transtint, blah, isn't it?)

IMG_4982.jpg

The other is done by request for those of you who poked fun at my concrete block speaker stands: Sandbox Stands. The plywood boxes now have their walnut veneer and are awaiting their solid cherry adornments which will raise them an additional 2 inches off the floor. Once the boxes are filled with sand the speakers will rest on a sheet of plywood over the sand that is separated from the box 1/2" all around.

Glass houses. Many of you guys obsess over grit and metallurgy, I, over the barely heard but audible.

IMG_4977.jpg
    IMG_4980.jpg
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be