Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone building anything?

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Erich,
    Bottom line I've been unable to walk for almost two months.

All that is one of the reasons I've spent so much time on SMC, I can't do much else.
    So sorry to hear that. Hopefully it is improving.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    So sorry to hear that. Hopefully it is improving.
    Erich,

Thanks, and I know TMI but there is a reason I'm not in the shop and building. Doesn't happen often and yes it is improving.

ken

I started building a small shed roof addition to my woodshop. It was going to just be a porch at first (hence the slightly odd framing) but I decided to wall it in. Just 8x12 but it doubles my floor space and will be easier and cheaper to heat all winter.

20200818_111333.jpg
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

working on a pair of morris chairs. Man, these things are gonna be heavy.

Resized_20200816_164115.jpeg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Until more lumber arrives...this was the last project built this year..
    July Project handle, paint it black.JPG

July Project Post, end view.JPG
    Just a tool chest...
    July Project Post. inside view 1.JPG
    And I had to resaw what scraps I had left to build it...

Erich,

Thanks, and I know TMI but there is a reason I'm not in the shop and building. Doesn't happen often and yes it is improving.

ken
    Wow Ken, glad to hear you're on the mend. I hate some dog owners
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Erich,

Not a metaphor, he was attaching Sweet Maggie Dog (my aviator). The week before I had kicked the bed post with my right foot by accident and jammed the second toe, so I was limping at the time. Without thinking I kicked the Pit Bull with my right foot. The Pit Bull flew about 20 or so feet in the air, landed and ran off. Then a few moments later he returned, crawling on his belly and totally submissive. Which was all well and good but I couldn't walk for the rest of the time we were in Oregon. To top it off after returning to Tucson and about the time the toe was healing I fell and twisted my right ankle. Bottom line I've been unable to walk for almost two months.

All that is one of the reasons I've spent so much time on SMC, I can't do much else.

ken

Hey Ken,

Let me know if you want kicking lessons.....yes, there's an art to it.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Wow Ken, glad to hear you're on the mend. I hate some dog owners
    Mike,

I need another week or two to be back near 100%. I agree it is not the dogs fault, they just act as trained.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Hey Ken,

Let me know if you want kicking lessons.....yes, there's an art to it.

-Matt
    Matt,

I think I learned the first lesson, don't kick with a foot that is already injured .

ken

This is what I’m working on. My proof of concept on top. Still have much to do. All hard maple. Hoping it will punch far above its weight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm giving a check ride today, if it does not run long I'll stop by the local woodstore and pick the first load of Alder for the new shop cabinets and start prep and layout Sunday. If it runs long, then it will be Monday before I can get the wood. Anyway within the next few days I will start on changing out the shop's cabinets. I expect it will be a PITA with pulling the old ones off, finding somewhere to store all the stuff and fitting the new cabinets into the available space. BTW, the tool trays may become more than dust and shaven catchers for awhile.

It will be good to get back in the shop doing something other than pushing iron around on stones.

ken

Blog Entries
    City delays are giving me lots of time to build more dreams into my as-yet-to-be-erected shop . . . does that count?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    City delays are giving me lots of time to build more dreams into my as-yet-to-be-erected shop . . . does that count?
    My long awaited shop should be finished this week and then several projects will get finished, fingers crossed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    A lot of work develops from dreams. A lot of my time on projects is spent in contemplative mode.

One recent project to fill up some spare time was to find a neater way two stow my plumb bobs. Now one of them has its holder:

Plumb Bob Spool stowed..jpg

The opening was cut with a forsner bit closely matching the diameter of the bob:

Plumb Bob Holder open.jpg

One down, one to go.

There are also a couple of other projects going on. The tomatoes are getting ripe so that takes precedence.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I don't know if this counts but I'm recycling some old furniture, an oak dresser and maple desk. The boards I'm getting are 13/16" thick and fairly wide. The desk is solid maple but wasn't designed for today's computer chairs so it will become stock for shop projects and secondary wood. The oak dresser supplied me with enough aged oak to build a simple desk. I'm still working on disassembling but will start the desk pretty soon I think. I posted the design beginnings in the design forum but may as well post it here as well.

I took the height from my work desk. It doesn't leave much stock for the drawer. My question for you furniture builders is, can I cut a center section from the apron and add a drawer? Can I make the desk a little taller and the apron wider?

desk.png