Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Anyone building anything?

I dropped this 40’ ash tree last month and am doing some chain saw sawyering. Also have a mid-century modern style walnut vanity that is on the drawing board for my daughter. I won’t be mitering these corners though and like my sawyering, I’ll be using mid century modern tools on that project. I dont have Mike’s patience or skill.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good thing I still have a weeks to to get this done....
    Blanket Chest,Day 6, 2nd panel fitted.JPG
    Blanket Chest in Ash....for a Christmas Present...

Derek, stools look great and build details on the project thread would be enjoyed by many.

Joe, I almost spit out my coffee at "... I’ll be using mid century modern tools on that project"

Steve, wiser than I to get started early-looks good.

The sheds are finally done

IMG_7977.jpg

That done, starting to get back to projects at the bench. LOML had some shelf brackets, so was able to make a couple walnut planks a little flatter for a couple of wall shelves:

IMG_8354 (1).jpgIMG_8357 (1).jpg

Progress is being made on the NBSS tool chest as well.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Chris, the live edge on the shelf adds to it. I like it.

I love everything about this box. The sliding door is really nice. I wish I liked tea.

My landlords have put my place on the market, so I’ve been a little distracted working out where I will move to. But, I’ve got a few good options, and won’t have to move until after Christmas, so I finished up the panel for the top of the sewing box. Mitering the inside corners was slow, I marked and sawed them out roughly, then made a paring block and slowly worked until I was satisfied with the fit. The effect is pretty subtle to me and I don’t think I’ll do it again unless something really calls for it. I’d be interested in seeing if anyone has a good method to do the miters. I re-sawed the panel and book matched it from 4/4 stock and was just able to keep it thick enough.

55032173-88E0-45F6-9753-3D4A4C1B4665.jpg

here’s a better picture of the box.
    1878154C-B014-4DB7-B922-AD8EC3F1A92E.jpg

next is to make the front rails and the runners for the three drawers, then I can glue up the box and make the bottom. The bottom will be frame and panel too, but I’ll just make a regular frame without miters. I’ll probably use maple for the bottom panel, but may stick with walnut throughout, haven’t made up my mind yet.

Hi Ben,

Sorry to hear about your impending move-never any fun, especially when unexpected.

The top looks great, I especially like your attention to the grain on the frame. No big suggestions on the miters-might be a little faster to cut prior to chamfering the frame if you didn't do that.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Cove details are done..
    Blanket Chest, Day 14, cove details.JPG
    Blanket Chest, Day 14, foot details.JPG
    Bread board ends are installed...
    Blanket Chest, day 14, lid bread boarded.JPG

Just might get this Blanket Chest done....before Christmas....

Nice Josh - looks really nice. Did you work from plans or did you just wing it?
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Nice Josh - looks really nice. Did you work from plans or did you just wing it?
    Thanks Bill...he had some measured drawings and discussion in his book, “The Why and How of Woodworking” and I made a life size drawing. I tend to make things too big and I love his sense of proportion. Hope to develop my own style some day. The box is about the size of a shoe box. The cubby behind the sliding door is about the size of a tea cup.

Blog Entries
    Spent a little time in the shop today.

Made an awl out of a piece of 3/16" drill rod and an old chisel handle:

Awl Things Pointy.jpg

Started by drilling a hole ~0.002 (0.185 #13) smaller than the rod in a piece of square pine. Used this to steady it on my disk sharpening system. It allowed me to turn it evenly to make the four bevels pretty much the same.

It isn't a true bird cage awl. It can be used to cut a hole through a piece of wood.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-23-2020 at 3:34 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Very nice Josh!

I cannot see your image, Jim.

I am making a tool cabinet for under the bench. There are too many tools on the wall, and many would be better off stored in a drawer under the bench.

The tool cabinet is inspired by the North Bennet Street version, which many here have been making. Mine is a little more complex, with more drawers, and a mitred through dovetail case.

Merbau case being dovetailed ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I cannot see your image, Jim.
    Thanks for the note Derek.

It didn't show up for me either so it was re-uploaded.

Hope that fixes the problem.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)