Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone building anything?

Two items I feel pretty OK about, though not at the level many of you have attained. I am off this weekend between two weekends of call, and have an adult child back in the house as an unintended consequence of the pandemic.

We needed a coat rack in the hallway today. This piece of cherry has been in my shop taking up space too long. It has pleasing figure, but the grain rises from both ends towards the middle. It is too pretty to bust up into one of my BBQ cookers, but too fiddly for anything time consuming or fussy. I went over both faces with a number five to see what could be done, got my edges and ends trued, did use a electric router for the border. Once I had the show face close to finish smooth I got my layout on, got all my holes marked with awl pricks, then erased by pencil marks with the final planing. I did end up with I think three cabinet scrapers in use before I called it good, finish is hemp oil and beeswax.

Also needed a stool for changing in and out of winter boots. My wife uses the foot of the stairs, I come and go through the garage during the winter, child much taller then her mother and using the front door. This is a quick piece out of the scrap bin. I used 15 dgrees as the included angle for the legs. Seat is nominal 9x14 inches (scrap of 2x10) the holes for the legs are on a rectangle 4x8" centered on the bottom. I drew my reference lines at 45 degrees out of each corner, rather than pointing at the opposite corner.

The glue dried overnight last night, so now I can saw the tips off the seat surface, and shape the feet. I was expecting to have to level it, but it is sitting evenly on all four legs as glued up - not an ordinary outcome at my shop. For the legs I drilled the seat with a one inch auger, and then hand tapered lengths of 2x2 with draw knife and spoke shave, leaving a 1" cylnder at the top of each leg.

I plan to build another stool like this in the fullness of time so that I can turn it upside down in the stove room and dry cold weather boots out overnight. First I need to live with this one a little bit and read Chris Shwarz on chair leg angles again after I get to know this piece.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The stool did not pass final QC. I cut the glue off the pieces big enough to go back in the scrap pin for prompt burning next time the wood stove gets loaded.

Three Wharton Esherick-style stools in Hard Maple making progress (not the same as the shop stool). Nine stretchers to go.

Regards from Perth

Derek

And one missing leg !

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Three Wharton Esherick-style stools in Hard Maple making progress (not the same as the shop stool). Nine stretchers to go.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek,

I've been needing a new shop stool and have been doing the "yes but" for awhile. I like your shop stool, you may have shortened the "yes but" time.

ken

Ken, the three new stools are different from the shop stool. I cannot believe how much work has gone into these so far. All hard maple, and the wood is indeed hard, where the shop stool was pine.

The idea is to used the Esherick stretchers ...

The seat design looks somewhat like the Esherick seat, however mine allows the individual to choose one of three sides, and each side will have a stretcher at a different height ... for different length legs

Just roughing out the stretchers ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ken, the three new stools are different from the shop stool. I cannot believe how much work has gone into these so far. All hard maple, and the wood is indeed hard, where the shop stool was pine.

The idea is to used the Esherick stretchers ...

The seat design looks somewhat like the Esherick seat, however mine allows the individual to choose one of three sides, and each side will have a stretcher at a different height ... for different length legs

Just roughing out the stretchers ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek,

I expect my shop stool will be more like your shop stool than the Esherick, for the shop I like the three legs with front two near vertical and what appears to be a forward slanted seat. Most of the time I do not use a shop stool for sitting but for leaning my butt against while working, the slanted seat and vertical legs should be perfect.

ken

Hi -

Not shop work - but an 8' x 13' shed with my son-in-law....

Shed.jpg

Cheers -

Rob

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek, that is lovely!

The stools are lovely and I am looking forward to the finished product and your build notes. I must say that I am equally impressed by the lack of clutter below your bench. A Moxon vise, strop, and one (maybe two) bench hooks. If my bottom shelf looked that tidy, I would swear that I had been robbed. Robbed mind you of nothing of great import, but robbed nonetheless.

Tim

Tim, I have a team of retriever dogs that catch every shaving before it lands, and then drops them in the bin. What’s the point of being a psychologist if you do not take advantage to train the family?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, Ha! That explains everything! To quote the younger generation, pics or it didn't happen! (My apologies to F. Scott Fitzgerald for the exclamation points.)

Been making electric guitars recently. #2 in walnut and maple.

Very nice Prashan. Is the design a copy of something classic, or your own?

Regards from Perth

Derek