Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone building anything?

Working on some sloyd hooks to ease myself back into the shop.B8E601F6-BE62-4522-9805-DDD37F664B5D.jpeg

Ive gotten motivated. I’m going to make a shallow table to replace these wire shelves in my garage. It will let me get my wooden toolbox for my bicycle tools up where it is easier to access. It will have a low shelf for my general mechanic’s tools. I’ll have three good sized drawers to get odds and ends put away. I’ll probably put some shelves on the wall over the bench for more storage.

the thing will be 16” deep x 34 1/2” high x 45” wide. I think it is a little on the narrow side, but the weight of the tools on the lower shelf will help and I can always giv it a little bit of a lean toward the wall if it feels tippy. I can’t make it too wide or my path in and out of the garage gets too narrow. I’m making it out of poplar and the top will be 6/4 maple. It’s kind of fun to switch gears and make something for the garage where I’m using joinery and aiming for a good standard but not fussing over it trying to be perfect. I’ve got the two sides done over the last couple days, next is to make the back and the top and bottom rail that will give me the drawer openings for the front.

16903D30-4E4A-4300-8848-422EEAA8D210.jpgBEC77834-20B7-49AC-8C41-D6D4397882AD.jpg

With that talk about a turning saw earlier this week..

~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    With that talk about a turning saw earlier this week..
    Mike, looks good. I'll wager it will be your favorite coping/fret saw. Blade thin enough to fit in a Japanese saw kirf but does not break like a fret saw blade will. With a near 12" stroke it is really fast even compared to a coping saw and blows a fret saw out of the water. It is just a great turning saw, which BTW is also a strong point.

It looks like you have good straight grain, if there is a weakness to the saw and it really isn't a saw weakness but a user weakness if you get over enthusiastic with tension you can split the upper arm. DAMHIK

ken

P.S. I like the look of yours so much I ordered a kit, can always use a second one.
    Last edited by ken hatch; 09-26-2020 at 11:15 AM.

I'm still working on the Kitchen Trash Can. Here I'm just starting to fit the base trim/foot to the basic box.

kitchenTrashFitting BaseTrim.jpg

ken

Well, that was fun. So much so, I'll probably make another bow saw soon.

~mike

happy in my mud hut

Well, that was fun. So much so, I'll probably make another bow saw soon.
    Looks great Mike, have you made a few test cuts? I know silly question but would like a report.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Looks great Mike, have you made a few test cuts? I know silly question but would like a report.

ken
    Thanks Ken. Not as much as I'd like as the owner of the dog we had this weekend showed up as I was finishing. So, I made a long wiggly line through a piece of pine after I got it assembled and played with the blade tension and called it 'good' for the time being.. Very easy to start and control, and I quite like it so far. I rather suspect I'll go out tomorrow and play with it a bit more, and will have a better opinion. I had some stock to face and edge joint today.. well, and I got distracted by replacing mountain bike tires.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

And finished..
    Project Post, tap box front.JPG
    front view..
    Project Post, tap box, back view.JPG
    And of the back...
    Project Post, tap box, end details.JPG
    View of the end....handle and the grain detail of the lid..
    Project Post, tap box, top of lid.JPG
    Top of the lid...not too bad, for being Poplar?
    raise the lid..black chain to hold it..
    Project Post, tap box, opened lid.JPG
    And take a gander at the inside..
    Project Post, tap box, inside view.JPG

Seems better than just piled into an old Ford parts box....

Nice handy box Steve.

Here's my jack plane I'm working on. I don't know why the pics always get rotated here. Anyway, you can see from picture 2 I've taken a different path to making laminated plane. This was mostly due to a mistake I made drilling the hole for the pin. I think this may turn out better than a pinned plane but that remains to be see. In hindsight, I should have carved these before gluing them it. That would have made it really easy.

20200927_211748.jpg20200928_084207.jpg20200927_211731.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    Here's my jack plane I'm working on. I don't know why the pics always get rotated here. Anyway, you can see from picture 2 I've taken a different path to making laminated plane.
    Rich, I made a couple planes like this, years ago, before I took the plunge and started making one-piece mortised planes. One thing I will suggest is that you put two pins (e.g. 1/4" dowels) through each side--cut them off flush inside and out. Otherwise, the wedge will eventually pry your abutments loose.
    The nice thing about this method is that it gives you a feel for how a traditional plane is designed. It's kind of the last "training wheels" step prior to a one-piece plane.

Oh PS, if you edit your pics before you post them--I usually just rotate them, and then rotate back the other direction--they will turn out ok here.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

It is starting to look like an object! Got the back and the front rails done. Next is to make the bottom rails, which will support the shelf, and the dividers and runners for the three drawers. This project was an excuse to get some 48” clamps since I didn’t have any long enough to clamp this when I glue it up.

im picking through my short pieces of poplar. I’ll use those running front to back for the bottom shelf. I’m thinking I’ll rip them into slats and leave 1” gaps in between. I kind of like doing that to keep myself from just throwing little odds and ends on the shelf.

A38D4F94-AE43-4B5D-B216-C2531B8BA7FC.jpgEA99BEE2-585D-48FF-ADB8-E8747556A0DD.jpg

I made a long wiggly line through a piece of pine after I got it assembled and played with the blade tension and called it 'good' for the time being.. Very easy to start and control, and I quite like it so far. I rather suspect I'll go out tomorrow and play with it a bit more, and will have a better opinion.
    ... and it took me a couple days (I now have my VW up on the lift, packrats still suck), but I did get a chance to play with it while waiting on parts. I really, really, like this saw. It's amazingly easy to turn the cut very accurately.

So the verdict is.. I'll probably make a couple more, just so I can have one set up with each blade.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

... and it took me a couple days (I now have my VW up on the lift, packrats still suck), but I did get a chance to play with it while waiting on parts. I really, really, like this saw. It's amazingly easy to turn the cut very accurately.

So the verdict is.. I'll probably make a couple more, just so I can have one set up with each blade.

Mike,

Thanks for the update. I keep singing but few listen, the TFWW 12" bow saw is a better saw than any fret or coping saw I've used and that includes Knew Concepts. BTW, I have a kit in the mail, your saw inspired me.

What would we do without Pack Rats, I hate to think how much time and money I spend repairing their damage and hauling trapped ones off. But without Pack Rats I wouldn't have the random "art installations" made of rocks, dog turds, and cholia pods scattered around the yard.

ken