Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Anyone building anything?

Mike, you're likely right that this tool cabinet will add a goodly bit of weight to the bench

Well, this is about the fourth mitred through dovetail case I've built in about 18 months. I must be getting the hang of it now, since this was straight off the saw. No tweaking needed. The wood is Merbau, which is hard and has no give at all ... did I tell you that I love that I can re-fresh my chisels on the power buffer? What a different it makes to chop and pare with really sharp chisels.

Just to prove to myself that it was no fluke, it happened again ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

I’m enjoying following your build of the tool chest. I’ve got a somewhat related question about your bench. How stable does it feel when you put weight on the tail vise end?

My current bench is under 5’ long, and I’ve thought a 6’6” long bench with a bench crafted tail vise would be really nice for the kind of things I like to make. I think yours is about that long.

When I sketch out a 6’6” bench with ~18” overhang for the tail vise, it looks like a long overhang. A rough estimate shows that it would take over 200 lbs down at the tail vise end to tip the bench, so I think it would be ok, but it would be nice to get some confirmation.

Ben, the bench is extremely stable. The base is hefty, and Jarrah.

Note that all I have are stub tenons. Just enough to locate the 3 1/2” thick European Oak top. That is heavy too.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks, it’s nice to get that confirmation. I did a rough estimate for a 24” x 6’6” bench with a three inch top and got a total bench weight of around 200+ lb for hard maple, before you add any hardware. Every extra inch in top thickness adds about 40 pounds. It seems like that should be pretty solid.

of course, then I go back and forth and think that I’m getting by ok now without a tail vise, so maybe the extra hassle of adding one isn’t worth it...

Ben, this is a personal choice. You can get by without a tail vise. I use mine all the time.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek,

The chest looks great. Curious-your plan for drawers does not include any shallow drawers to hold chisels and measuring tools and such. Will those remain elsewhere or will you have trays in the drawers?

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Thanks Chris.

My plan is to reduce the number of drawers by building in sliding trays. That will not only lessen the build time, but also lower the clutter and enable tools to be grouped together.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Nice, will look forward to seeing your progress and design. I suspect your progress will be faster than mine...I've been working on a tool chest for a couple years now!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Well, apparently....I MUST be working on something...bench is filled up..
    December project, start up.JPG
    When and resawed all the Ash scraps worth saving....
    December project, thin stock.JPG
    1/2" thick and some thinner stuff...
    December project, jointer plane.JPG
    Jointed a few edges....for a glue up...
    December project, last glue up.JPG
    or..4..
    December project, 4 sides glued up.JPG

Have to wait and see just WHAT will happen with these.....finger joints, by hand? A tray....couple of handles? Some sort of lid?

Might be another "Build-along" thread in the works?

We'll see.....

A little update.

All four sides are dovetailed. Through dovetails with mitres at each corner. And every one went together off the saw ... well, almost - one mitre required a smidgeon of a mm pared away to close tightly. All tight and square. I am quite chuffed.

This is the difficult part - to get the mitres to close along with the sockets ...

Inside the bench ...

I am not sure if anyone here wants another tool chest build. Let me know if you are interested in creating a separate thread. It is being recorded on my website.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Have a box made..
    December Project, outside is done.JPG
    And a tray for the inside...
    December Project, tray complete.JPG

Currently working on the lid....
    December Project, lid glue up, topside.JPG
    And..have ordered a handle and a couple latches from Hobby Lobby....

Lid sits on 4 dowels...
    December Project, inside detais.JPG
    Just a small tool box, to carry household tools around in....and use up a stack of scraps...

getting there...
    December Project, lid is attached.JPG

All hinged up...
    December Project, hinged up.JPG
    Last edited by steven c newman; 12-06-2020 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    ......I am quite chuffed....

Regards from Perth

Derek
    For those of us whose lexicon is absent Aussie slang, that's a good thing?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Rob ...

chuffed

/tʃʌft/

adjectiveINFORMAL•BRITISH

• very pleased.

Definitions from Oxford Languages

Where did chuffed come from?

Etymology. 1957, from dialectal (northern England) chuff, originally meaning “puffed with fat”.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek, I'm a little smarter now. In addition, I am apparently a bit Chuffed as well. The Thanksgiving feast left me a bit puffed with fat.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    A little update.

All four sides are dovetailed. Through dovetails with mitres at each corner. And every one went together off the saw ... well, almost - one mitre required a smidgeon of a mm pared away to close tightly. All tight and square. I am quite chuffed.

This is the difficult part - to get the mitres to close along with the sockets ...

Inside the bench ...

I am not sure if anyone here wants another tool chest build. Let me know if you are interested in creating a separate thread. It is being recorded on my website.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I see you spliced some short boards to make the bottom and left side of the case. How are they joined? Butt, biscuit, or domino?