Thread: Cracked Plate on My Best Dozuki

Cracked Plate on My Best Dozuki

Hi,

I have been buying a few different Japanese saws over the last few years. I splurged and spent $250 on a Dozuki saw about 5 years ago that has been absolutely my best saw. It was so nice to use. However yesterday I broke the plate while sawing - I dont know how it happened but there is a crack in the plate that is about 25 mm long vertically about the middle of the plate along its length. The break does not hit the actual teeth, it is vertical, about 5 mm up from the teeth running towards the backer bar.

So - is this saw now trash? Is there a way to repair this fine saw? Is the repair worth doing? If anyone knows where to send it, please let me know? I hate to just throw away a saw that cost this much and has been so fantastic to use. I would be very appreciative of any help.

Thanks for your time.

Joe

Blog Entries
    While living in the East Bay many years ago my source for replacement saw blades and other Japanese tools was Hida Tools at 1333 San Pablo Ave, Berkeley, CA 94702.

You might give them a call, 1-510-524-3700

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Beaulieu View Post
    Hi,

I have been buying a few different Japanese saws over the last few years. I splurged and spent $250 on a Dozuki saw about 5 years ago that has been absolutely my best saw. It was so nice to use. However yesterday I broke the plate while sawing - I dont know how it happened but there is a crack in the plate that is about 25 mm long vertically about the middle of the plate along its length. The break does not hit the actual teeth, it is vertical, about 5 mm up from the teeth running towards the backer bar.

So - is this saw now trash? Is there a way to repair this fine saw? Is the repair worth doing? If anyone knows where to send it, please let me know? I hate to just throw away a saw that cost this much and has been so fantastic to use. I would be very appreciative of any help.

Thanks for your time.

Joe
    The metal on those saws can be very brittle. I would start by finding a way to drill a small hole on each end of the crack so that the crack doesn’t spread. This would be preceded by a period of fasting and prayer. I’ve done it on other metals to stop cracks from spreading, but not a presumably handmade dozuki. Good luck! I’m sure others can elaborate.

Thanks for your time.

Joe
    Jay Van Arsdale still lists contact info at Lainey College in Oakland. If anybody knows how to repair this, he'll have them on speed dial.

Jay van Arsdale
    jvanarsdale@peralta.edu
    www.californiadaiku.com
    510-464-3355

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Jay Van Arsdale still lists contact info at Lainey College in Oakland. If anybody knows how to repair this, he'll have them on speed dial.

Jay van Arsdale
    jvanarsdale@peralta.edu
    www.californiadaiku.com
    510-464-3355
    ‘Outstanding Jim, thank you! I will call him shortly. Thanks all.

I am very familiar with Hida, been there a bunch. As far as stopping the crack, I dont plan on using the saw. I have it immobilized pretty well. Thanks for the suggestion, but the crack is too large to consider using the saw. Unless you are in the market for a cracked Dozuki, then I will work with you :-)

Joe

Investigate both Jay and Hida above. It may be that it could be sent back to Japan to a saw maker to repair. It wouldn't be cheap, but if you really love the saw it might be worth it to you. -Howard

I am very familiar with Hida, been there a bunch. As far as stopping the crack, I dont plan on using the saw. I have it immobilized pretty well. Thanks for the suggestion, but the crack is too large to consider using the saw. Unless you are in the market for a cracked Dozuki, then I will work with you :-)
    That’s a shame. While the metal is brittle, these saws can sustain huge damage and still be functional. I’ve been using them (including the artisanals) for many years, and I’ve seen some stuff.

FWIW, here in modern times many of the cheaper machine-made Japanese saws are as functional as the artisanal ones. But don’t often share the character.