Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone building anything?

I have too many projects going at once. I think I need to build a plane til before I do anything else.

I started a little bookshelf for a friend two months ago. I hadn’t done dovetails in cherry in over a year, so I struggled fitting them and ended up splitting both the side panels. I set the whole thing aside for a while, used butterflies to patch the splits, and just need a little sanding and wax to call it done.
    E1BBFE05-650C-4638-A6A3-7BD69AECC000.jpg
    it isn’t perfect, but I think she’ll like it. Also, since I’m a glutton for punishment I decided to make a little tool tote out of the excess cherry we got for this project and use it to learn how to do compound dovetails. Since I occasionally learn from my mistakes I’m making a little tray out of pine first to figure out the technique.

9E2CB281-44B0-45EE-A1F8-8451A4F3A64C.jpg867E7B30-05D2-443C-8E0F-7439D07DDC06.jpg86389A4A-57F3-4812-9462-BDFC1B0423DA.jpg
    Also, I finally knocked up a clamp rack, so now I can buy more clamps.
    5ACD486D-1B36-4AE8-B3B7-EF0437C6CC59.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

.... I built a saw till out of excess plywood I had laying and pocket holes (shh&#129325. I've been moving plywood I've had for five years and was tired of all my saws in a pile. I forgot how quickly one can build something out of sheet goods and pocket holes.

I made progress on my saw till.

Comments about the entire thing... the previous owner left a bunch of random cuts of doug fir when he left, along with some 4" wide rough hewn pine boards. My stupid self decided to use this found wood for this project. I say stupid because the fir was either rock hard (and seriously tough on the chisels and irons) or would warp and twist very shortly after it was dimensioned. I didn't quite get it together fast enough, so one side's a couple degrees out of square. Oh well, it's shop furniture and really was also a project to 'get back into it' after having tools packed away for a couple years.

It did let me use the 'new to me' #45 I have though, that was cool.. Oh and if Ken reads this... I did kind of enjoy sharpening all those irons, and yes.. it was all freehand after I ground them square and to a 30º bevel angle. That was my weekend, I hope everyone else also had some fun.

~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I made progress on my saw till.

Comments about the entire thing... the previous owner left a bunch of random cuts of doug fir when he left, along with some 4" wide rough hewn pine boards. My stupid self decided to use this found wood for this project. I say stupid because the fir was either rock hard (and seriously tough on the chisels and irons) or would warp and twist very shortly after it was dimensioned. I didn't quite get it together fast enough, so one side's a couple degrees out of square. Oh well, it's shop furniture and really was also a project to 'get back into it' after having tools packed away for a couple years.

It did let me use the 'new to me' #45 I have though, that was cool.. Oh and if Ken reads this... I did kind of enjoy sharpening all those irons, and yes.. it was all freehand after I ground them square and to a 30º bevel angle. That was my weekend, I hope everyone else also had some fun.
    Mike,

Good on you for getting your cutters sharp, the correct way.

I've just one gripe, your shop fixture is too nice. To do it correctly it needs to be put together with biscuits and/or pocket screws and cheap plywood. For reference on how to do it see mine .

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Mike,

Good on you for getting your cutters sharp, the correct way.

I've just one gripe, your shop fixture is too nice. To do it correctly it needs to be put together with biscuits and/or pocket screws and cheap plywood. For reference on how to do it see mine .

ken
    Ken, that's how my last shop was. This time, I haven't been building in a while.. and I'd rather goof up (and relearn) on shop furniture
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Making a cherry tool tote. More fun with compound angles. The side you carry near your leg is vertical and the ends have a little more splay than the other side. Plus I decided to use slips to hold the bottom in. Since the sides are 1/2” I didn’t really want to plow a deep groove directly into them.

it will have a central divider that I’ll attach the handle to and I’ll put some smaller dividers in one half of it to keep smaller items organized.

126CC8E6-B3A1-48AD-8BFE-B8AC5F72F9AF.jpg

"Lumber" has been bought...at least enough to start building a case for the taps & dies....
    Next Project, Lumber supplies.JPG
    Once I can clear enough room to sort through all the taps....table is full of GrandBRATS' school stuff..
    School desk....JPG
    Then figure out a good layout...and wait on Moose & Squirrel to deliver a Paper Plan.....also, need a case for the Pipe taps..
    Thursday rehabs, pipe cutters.JPG
    Also out of Poplar....

Finished this little tool tote. It was a fun experiment with compound angle dovetails and miters. I set the bottom in to a mitered frame so I could keep the sides full thickness. That ended up being pretty fussy and the end result wasn’t perfect. I’ve got a few ideas about how to do better next time.

5872AE09-C3DA-496F-80BA-818FB79D40CD.jpg156EE0E7-5F53-4173-BB1C-589FAD424D0C.jpgEF308AB0-9C1C-48D9-A93B-90B3E021B821.jpg

Ben, nice tool tote. Would be interested to see it decked out with kit.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

About halfway done on the first box..
    Next Project, all drilled.JPG
    Glue ups are underway.....

Thanks! I made it for a friend who likes working on motorcycles, so I think he’ll use it for small mechanic’s tools. I left it pretty un-divided since I’m not really sure exactly how he’ll end up using it.

Starting a little tea box for my daughter for Christmas, copying a Mike Pekovich piece. 81D7EA92-E332-4952-AD29-2AB935F3431D.jpgCD0712C4-E2D0-4C48-89D6-A38DFD862CD2.jpg272D7FA5-CEEB-48D1-A8AE-D807F886A49D.jpg

Thanks all for keeping this thread going.

Looks good Josh, I like Peckovich's design sense.

I've been set back with more sheetrock-but for good cause. My house had a small climbing wall that my boys were a bit too big for but not big enough to let go for the first two years. I sold it and had to throw up another sheet of rock and now have a bit of painting.

I did manage to make a 'one-joint' desk using some metal legs my partner had. I'll post details separately; here's the finished desk:

IMG_8067.jpg
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I have been building a TV cabinet for the kids apartment.
    cabinet door (1).jpgcabinet door (2).jpg