Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone building anything?

Anyone building anything?

Hi all,

Me, not so much ....It is high summer here, so I have been letting several long languishing projects languish (a NBSS tool chest and a jewelry box). The good news is I'm nearly done with the shop refurb. I've been told that I have a 'wood problem' to which i've always replied that I simply have a storage problem. A big part of the summer has been an effort to fix my problem as part of the refurb, with some level of success:

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 1.47.46 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 1.48.09 PM.jpg

For better or worse, I still have a pile of a couple hundred bf that I'll have to still keep under tin and tarps...maybe I do have a problem.

Yesterday, I was also able to help my friend with his slab roubo project. He scored a massive ~34"x5"x8' red oak slab from a mutual friend for his top, which migrated to my house right before covid. The slab had the pith in the middle, so we cut into two sections when we picked it up using a combination of circular saw and rip saw. We were able to cut the two slabs close to final width yesterday on the bandsaw.

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 1.29.59 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-08-17 at 1.30.32 PM.jpg

I'll post some shots of the new shop soon, I promise..

Have fun and stay safe out there!

Chris
    Last edited by Christopher Charles; 08-17-2020 at 5:12 PM.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I'm still working on getting my shop sorted. Still shuffling things around, and right now more importantly.. stalled on installing insulation because (irony) it's too hot in there. Although I did get a barn fan, that'll help and this weekend I replaced my (now broken) saw vise.. so I suppose I did make a mounting bracket for the new one. I cheated, and used power tools to make the mount because well.. plywood, but it does work so much better than my last saw vise, and I finally got one mounted at the right height.

~mike

happy in my mud hut

The saw vise looks like a great upgrade. You'll be glad to get the insulation done-I insulated and it has made a huge difference as my shop has two west-facing garage doors.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

My shop is my 2 car garage, and though I can use the whole space for projects, of which I can only permanently use half of. Lumber storage is a big problem right now.

It never occurred to me to store in an out building. My yard is a tiny suburban lot with 5' of side yard, but there is enough room in the back... an interesting idea (albeit a 100+ foot hike to retrieve boards... and I was going to do a BBQ covered area there... decisions decisions...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Hi all,

Me, not so much ....It is high summer here, so I have been letting several long languishing projects languish (a NBSS tool chest and a jewelry box). The good news is I'm nearly done with the shop refurb. I've been told that I have a 'wood problem' to which i've always replied that I simply have a storage problem. A big part of the summer has been an effort to fix my problem as part of the refurb, with some level of success:

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 1.47.46 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 1.48.09 PM.jpg

For better or worse, I still have a pile of a couple hundred bf that I'll have to still keep under tin and tarps...maybe I do have a problem.

Yesterday, I was also able to help my friend with his slab roubo project. He scored a massive ~34"x5"x8' red oak slab from a mutual friend for his top, which migrated to my house right before covid. The slab had the pith in the middle, so we cut into two sections when we picked it up using a combination of circular saw and rip saw. We were able to cut the two slabs close to final width yesterday on the bandsaw.

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 1.29.59 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-08-17 at 1.30.32 PM.jpg

I'll post some shots of the new shop soon, I promise..

Have fun and stay safe out there!

Chris
    Chris, congrats on the shop rehab and the new wood storage!! I'm jealous of your lumber stash- is that rough sawn from local trees? I'm not exactly sure what those are but I've read about them in books here in the hardwood desert of So. Cal.

Cheers, Mike

I built my son a Shaker writing desk for graduate school. Threw it together quickly out of poplar and stained it. Used Charles Neil pre-stain conditioner and General Finishes medium brown dye stain. It looks great to me. Might use poplar more.

Should not have used poplar for draw bore pins.

Picture isn’t the best, but I hadn’t planned on posting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Was building all year....until I ran out of lumber to build with....may start back up this fall....

Finishing up a reclaimed pine siding hall table for friends. Finally the lumber folks opened for walk in business and was able to score some lumber for legs for a table that has been on hold since April. A co-worker brought in a basket case oak circular “antique” table he’s asked me to work on. Top is split, dowels that connect legs to shelf are broken, horrible orangish stain...frankly, not worth fixing, but it has sentimental value to him. Gonna be a challenge, and I gave him no guarantees...so yeah, a few projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Hey, I have an Aggazzani bandsaw. Love that thing. Too bad they went out of business. I'm having fits finding parts.

Cedar side table

Finished up a little outdoor side table for the deck recently (I'm aware of the irony that these pictures are indoors). Made from scraps from a cedar fence project, felt good to use offcuts destined for the compost heap to make something useful spur-of-the moment. Also felt good being the first project that I used all unplugged hand tools except for hitting the top with a ROS before finishing. I usually justify firing up the table saw, chop saw, router, etc. for some part of a build, but resisted this time and am glad I did. A bandsaw would have been nice though, probably one of those in my future...

Cedar was interesting - so soft that you can almost rip it with a good karate chop, but also dents if you look at it wrong.

(Sorry for the meh photos, snapped them as an afterthought.)

C56D2311-D318-41D6-911D-E1C60A39138D.jpg AFC10960-48E8-4AEE-A11F-48EAB41530E3.jpg
    Last edited by Daniel Culotta; 08-18-2020 at 11:35 AM.

Just finished a small end table for my wife. It’s a take on a CS piece. First shot I tried a sliding dovetail to house the runners but gave up, the top is some very curly maple and it was a slog removing the waste and I messed up the first one so I ended up gluing and screwing the runners to the underside. I liked it better left natural but she wanted darker so....

5110387F-3F8D-4FE5-9592-CBAE7EDD166D.jpg515FCC45-72E9-4078-97B9-AFF771D44FD4.jpg

A hunt board currently in production:

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Chris,

I wish I were building something. Ever since I tried to kick an attacking Pit Bull through the goal posts of life a couple of months ago my right wheel isn't allowing me to walk or stand for more than a minute or so. The sum total of my shop time is some clean up and a little work on the sharpening bench.

There are plans, once I can work I'm replacing all the shop wall storage with new cabinets that hopefully reflect that I'm a woodworker and not a total hack.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Chris,

Ever since I tried to kick an attacking Pit Bull through the goal posts of life a couple of months ago my right wheel isn't allowing me to walk or stand for more than a minute or so.

Damn, Ken! This is not a metaphor, but an actual pit bull? I hope you sent it to the garbage heap in the sky. (Or the police did).

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    Damn, Ken! This is not a metaphor, but an actual pit bull? I hope you sent it to the garbage heap in the sky. (Or the police did).
    Erich,

Not a metaphor, he was attaching Sweet Maggie Dog (my aviator). The week before I had kicked the bed post with my right foot by accident and jammed the second toe, so I was limping at the time. Without thinking I kicked the Pit Bull with my right foot. The Pit Bull flew about 20 or so feet in the air, landed and ran off. Then a few moments later he returned, crawling on his belly and totally submissive. Which was all well and good but I couldn't walk for the rest of the time we were in Oregon. To top it off after returning to Tucson and about the time the toe was healing I fell and twisted my right ankle. Bottom line I've been unable to walk for almost two months.

All that is one of the reasons I've spent so much time on SMC, I can't do much else.

ken