Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone building anything?

Making some progress on a long neglected project to convert an amplifier from a Printed Circuit Board build in a metal box to being point-to-point wired in wood. Neanderthal only in the use of vacuum tubes. All the machining by way of table and chop saw except for hand-planing the faces and chopping the opening for the AC power/Fuse module at right rear with mallet and chisel. The wood is Sapele, which, translated from the Urhobo means, "must wear mask while machining".

I'm debating whether to add splines or 1/8" dadoes all the way round for some visual interest. Other than that, ready now for the wire-up.

IMG_4997.jpg
    IMG_4998.jpg
    IMG_5000.jpg
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

Three Wharton Esherick inspired stools ....

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Three Wharton Esherick inspired stools.
    Regards from Perth

Derek

You're a brazen tease.

*can't wait*

Jim, a few more teases ... not much hand tool work yet ... coming ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Been making boxes, lately...
    Tool box Project Post, full set.JPG
    Mainly to hold small tools..
    Tool box Project Post, label holders.JPG
    SAE Tap & Dies...and
    Tool box Project Post, Front view.JPG
    And one for Pipe Thread stuff...
    Tool box Project Post, opened lid.JPG
    Otherwise, just puttering around in the shop...

I'm still just replacing previously chewed/otherwise damaged items. This weekends task was moxon. Although, I did get irritated (since my bench is no longer against a wall) and add a French tool rack, with rose head cut nails.. just to stay in topic (yep, I split one).

~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I'm still just replacing previously chewed/otherwise damaged items. This weekends task was moxon. Although, I did get irritated (since my bench is no longer against a wall) and add a French tool rack, with rose head cut nails.. just to stay in topic (yep, I split one).

Mike,

Easy to do, and usually the last one. I think you will find the rack handy, mine is almost full length, great for temp storage of saws while using them.

ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Been making boxes, lately...
    Tool box Project Post, full set.JPG
    Mainly to hold small tools..
    Tool box Project Post, label holders.JPG
    SAE Tap & Dies...and
    Tool box Project Post, Front view.JPG
    And one for Pipe Thread stuff...
    Tool box Project Post, opened lid.JPG
    Otherwise, just puttering around in the shop...
    Very Nice Steven!

Blog Entries
    Small pine box to hold carving tools. Got tried of sorting through gouges all over bench to find the one I want- went with color coded handles.

DSC_0068.jpgDSC_0069.jpgDSC_0070.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]442684

Also a giant Mid century Modern sideboard out of walnut plywood for my brother in law - must be punishment for talking about woodworking too much! plywood is miserable to work with hand tools!!!

[/ATTACH]DSC_0072.jpgDSC_0073.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice pine box for organization Mike. And I do feel your pain working with plywood using hand tools. Sawing dulls teeth, so I use a discardable impulse hardened Stanley. Smoothing edges or ends are the same and they are brutal on plane irons, with toxic dust rising about. Ugly, ugly. Good luck!

I like the sliding front panel to capture the drawers for traveling.

Looks like I'm not the only one making a Moxon vise. I've been using the shoulder vise on my workbench for years, but my back is getting pretty bad. This extra 5 1/2 inches of height will make a difference.

PXL_20201007_211903511.jpg

After studying Derek Cohen's vise, I added the 1/2 flip-up spacer. A couple magnets keep it in place when flipped up.

PXL_20201007_212054722.jpg

Wallstrasse 28, Hessen, 35321, Laubach, Germany
    Wide Dresser
    IMG22121657.jpg

Finished gluing up drawer #2 today. One more to go. I seem to be good for one drawer a day. I had fit the three drawer faces a few days ago, but I rough cut and prepped the sides and back for the drawer today, along with cutting the joints.

also, I’m unreasonably excited about my new discovery. When I’m getting toward the end of my glue bottle I can stick into a dog hole upside down as I glue up. That way I don’t have to keep tapping and shaking to get glue out after every time I set it down. Maybe everyone else had already figured this out, but I felt quite clever.

AAC614D5-5351-4C0F-AFB2-9F70A112DA58.jpg9E8E313B-2FD6-4AFB-A7A8-8C284116E53B.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ellenberger View Post
    Finished gluing up drawer #2 today. One more to go. I seem to be good for one drawer a day. I had fit the three drawer faces a few days ago, but I rough cut and prepped the sides and back for the drawer today, along with cutting the joints.

also, I’m unreasonably excited about my new discovery. When I’m getting toward the end of my glue bottle I can stick into a dog hole upside down as I glue up. That way I don’t have to keep tapping and shaking to get glue out after every time I set it down. Maybe everyone else had already figured this out, but I felt quite clever.
    Ben,

LOL, welcome to the galoot club where everyone has figured it out before you. I'm there with you, been that way for most of my life.

ken