Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Anyone building anything?

Working on this solid cherry wall cabinet. Door panel is spalted maple. I'm gluing together the case and dividers at the moment. Then final fitting. Offset knife hinges installed. Afterwards, the 5 dovetailed drawers (3 inside, 2 outside)

IMG_0875-1600.jpgIMG_0849-1600.jpg20201113_154827-1600.jpg20201120_101550-2200.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    I dropped this 40’ ash tree last month and am doing some chain saw sawyering. Also have a mid-century modern style walnut vanity that is on the drawing board for my daughter. I won’t be mitering these corners though and like my sawyering, I’ll be using mid century modern tools on that project. I dont have Mike’s patience or skill.
    Joe, Can't wait to see how your project comes along. Nothing cooler than building something for your daughter with a tree from your land! Very impressed with your tree milling to date - do you have some kind of chain saw Alaskan mill ?

Best of luck with the Mid century modern vanity. you're already leagues ahead of me - working with solid ash, versus plywood is huge step in the right direction IMHO. look forward to your progress!
    Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Very nice Josh!

I cannot see your image, Jim.

I am making a tool cabinet for under the bench. There are too many tools on the wall, and many would be better off stored in a drawer under the bench.

The tool cabinet is inspired by the North Bennet Street version, which many here have been making. Mine is a little more complex, with more drawers, and a mitred through dovetail case.

Merbau case being dovetailed ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Uoooh, this should be good! Derek can't wait to see your progress, the design looks like an excellent opportunity for your joinery and drawer making skills to shine! Thanks for sharing - separate build thread? Good thing there is a concrete slab under that bench because when your done I'm guessing your bench will be a true "heavy weight"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Pirollo View Post
    Working on this solid cherry wall cabinet. Door panel is spalted maple. I'm gluing together the case and dividers at the moment. Then final fitting. Offset knife hinges installed. Afterwards, the 5 dovetailed drawers (3 inside, 2 outside)

IMG_0875-1600.jpgIMG_0849-1600.jpg20201113_154827-1600.jpg20201120_101550-2200.jpg
    Very, very nice Norman - I LOVE the spalted maple panel- very Krenovian! I look forward to seeing more of your work. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Robinson View Post
    My first shot at kumiko....copying a Mike Pekovich tea box for my daughter for Christmas
    Attachment 444723Attachment 444724
    Congrats Josh, it turned out great!

How was making the Kumiko? I know I should read the article for details, but broadly how hard was it to get everything to fit so nicely? Are the pieces saw or cut with edge tools to final dimensions for fitting?

Thanks, Mike

It's been nearly 2 months since I ventured into the bedroom/shop but now the total hip replacement is nearly 2 weeks behind me and I actually felt well enough to play a few records today. Quite a triumph to cue up, sit down and listen then get back up again rather easily.

Taking the non-narcotic Lyrica, an anti-convulsive that works well on nerve pain. The one side effect is that I'm just this side of La-La Land and wouldn't trust myself to cut a Popsicle stick. Looking forward to making a longer version of the Firmi-rack to hold my amplifiers and A/V components. Milling, planing, and gluing up 6/4 Maple for the shelves should get my upper body strength back in short order.

Stay tuned.
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

Thanks Mike! I'll post any upcoming projects. Have another planned early in December once this one is complete. My roots are Krenov-based furniture pieces, you have a good eye.

Norman

First coat of varnish was brushed on last night...
    Blanket Chest, handles, varnished front.JPG
    Checked on it this morning...lid was stuck, of course....popped it loose, and installed the handles...
    Blanket Chest, handles, varnished lid.JPG
    One on each end. Centered in the top rail....
    Blanket Chest, handles, lid opened.JPG
    So...I need to fix a couple "white spots", sand the rest to 320 grit, wipe this down...and get coat #2 done.

Tools for the handle installs..
    Blanket Chest, handles, install tool kit.JPG
    Couple of cordless drills, a VIX bit. MK1 Eyeball to center the handles....long screws were shortened down and have a new point ground on. Handles had a fake screw head ground off, and a new hole drilled in it's place.

Until the finishing is done, I can't do a whole lot, without raising dust...so....
    Stay tuned...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Congrats Josh, it turned out great!

How was making the Kumiko? I know I should read the article for details, but broadly how hard was it to get everything to fit so nicely? Are the pieces saw or cut with edge tools to final dimensions for fitting?

Thanks, Mike
    Thanks Mike! The Kumiko surprisingly isn’t as hard as it looks. And it’s hard to understand an explanation of it, but it’s fairly intuitive once you get into it. The strips are cut on a block shaped to get the angles and trimmed with a sharp chisel (45, 22.5 and 67.5 degrees in this case). Photography hides some sins but it’s okay for first try. Like anything, the more you do it the better you get.

Glad to hear you’re doing well, Bill. Smart to stay away from power tools for the time being. Might be time to pick up a hand saw and a bench plane and start milling. Now there’s a path to upper body strength

Started a dresser yesterday, milling the legs from some nice 8/4 walnut. They have a slight curve to them, and I wanted a cherry end panel to follow the curve, so routing the dado for the 1/4" panels was interesting. I screwed a a section of the cutoff from bandsawing the curves to my router base and used that as a guide. Worked out nicely. And that little Makita router is the nuts. Tomorrow I'll get to the walnut top and bottom rails for the side panels. The inside will get a 3/8" poplar panel, and I plan on making a secret panel at the bottom so I have a little hiding place in the interstitial space.

20201124_170913.jpg 20201124_150812.jpg 20201124_151721.jpg

The cherry end panels are book matched, and the front legs are cut from the same board and match - not that anyone will notice since they'll be 4' apart. But I'll know and that's half the fun.

20201124_201346.jpg 20201124_201436.jpg

So far so good, but you know what they say: so it goes.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Looking forward to the build Bill...I like black walnut...the smell, the workability, the deep color.

Bill,

count me in as another person who’s interested in your dresser. It looks good so far!

I got the top panel for my sewing chest glued up and the frame for the bottom panel cut and fitted. Originally I was going to use maple for the bottom panel, but this is fir my mom and I think she’ll prefer the case if it is solid walnut, so I’ve got another piece of walnut to re-saw and bookmatch for the bottom. I got the front rails cut and the sliding dovetails cut and fitted. Before I had done any sliding dovetails they seemed kind of intimidating - like they might be more fiddly than normal dovetails. My experience has been the opposite, every time I do them they seem to be pretty straightforward. You end up with a lot of ability to fine tune them as you go, and can get a good fit without too much effort. I cut the tails with just a chisel, no sawing. I cut the very back of the tails off, so I could over-cut the socket slightly and the cut would be covered by the rail. Chopping and removing the waste went quickly and I used a small router plane to get the bottom flat.

I took a couple of pictures during the dry fit, just to get more if an idea how this will look when it is done. I glued up the case but haven’t glued the rails in yet, I’ll glue those in after I take the clamps off from the main part of the glue-up. I’m not completely happy with my joinery on the case, I have a few gaps in the dovetails that I’ll have to fill with glue and sawdust, but I think it will look pretty good once it is cleaned up.

503B1600-7724-43C7-964E-C8FB68E76816.jpgC36AAECD-8A6E-45CE-9929-549A9156C43F.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Joe, Can't wait to see how your project comes along. Nothing cooler than building something for your daughter with a tree from your land! Very impressed with your tree milling to date - do you have some kind of chain saw Alaskan mill ?

Best of luck with the Mid century modern vanity. you're already leagues ahead of me - working with solid ash, versus plywood is huge step in the right direction IMHO. look forward to your progress!
    Cheers, Mike
    Mike, I’ve seen enough of your builds to know I am not even close to your level of skill. The vanity is being built from walnut that I purchased from a retired Purdue University forestry professor . He operates a Christmas tree farm and lumber mill in Tippecanoe county. The sides and top will be solid walnut. I’ll use ply wood with a walnut edge for the bottom. Maple,or poplar will be used for the drawer boxes. Drawer runners will probably be oak or hickory. The ash probably won’t be dry enough to work for at least a year. When the build is done, I may post some pics in the projects forum. The top will be made from this 6/4 live edge slab. I will mill 5/4 lumber for this I almost have the 4/4 stock milled to 3/4 for the sides and front. I will use 1/4” sheet goods for the back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Mike, I’ve seen enough of your builds to know I am not even close to your level of skill. The vanity is being built from walnut that I purchased from a retired Purdue University forestry professor . He operates a Christmas tree farm and lumber mill in Tippecanoe county. The sides and top will be solid walnut. I’ll use ply wood with a walnut edge for the bottom. Maple,or poplar will be used for the drawer boxes. Drawer runners will probably be oak or hickory. The ash probably won’t be dry enough to work for at least a year. When the build is done, I may post some pics in the projects forum. The top will be made from this 6/4 live edge slab. I will mill 5/4 lumber for this I almost have the 4/4 stock milled to 3/4 for the sides and front. I will use 1/4” sheet goods for the back.

Sounds like a good plan Joe. Interesting that you and I posted to the same thread about walnut projects (#236 above) we just started and we both got the lumber from Dan. Small world here on line I guess. I've been buying from him for several years now and he goes out of his way to show me the "good stuff". Great guy. I picked up these 4 slabs a couple of weeks ago along with some cherry and some poplar for the dresser and a beautiful 6' piece of 8/4 x 8" clear walnut for $8/bf.

2020-11-28_08h52_28.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.