Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone building anything?

Did a "class project"....using just some Pine scraps..to learn how to make a Double lap Dovetail joint
    Dovetail Class Project, front view.JPG
    remember, this is just out of a scrap of Pine..
    Dovetail Class Project, inside view.JPG
    And, more about learning to make the dovetail corners...won't win any Beauty Contests...not out of any fancy wood...
    Dovetail Class Project, Hinges.JPG
    Just a "Dovetail Class" project...3-1/4" tall, by 7" across the front, by 6" on the sides....

Just something to do, between building other projects...

Tony, very cool design, would be interested to see it installed.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    Have been working on a cherry entry shelf for our mud room. Have a couple drawers, one for me and one for my fiancee. The idea is we will put our car keys in these drawers and can leave each other love notes from time to time. The drawer fronts are some wenge I have had laying around for a while. I'm currently applying finish and will post pics after the finish is done. The first coat of finish has really transformed the piece and has elevated the contrast between the cherry and wenge. The cabinets in our mud room are stained black hence why I chose such a dark wood for the drawer fronts.

Attachment 444109 Attachment 444110 Attachment 444108
    Very Nice Tony! I love the details: through, wedged M&T's with contrasting wedges, the "bowl" depression carved in the top shelf and the cool drawer pull openings! Definitely a project fellow woodworkers will notice and admire. Well done!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Did a "class project"....using just some Pine scraps..to learn how to make a Double lap Dovetail joint
    Dovetail Class Project, front view.JPG
    remember, this is just out of a scrap of Pine..
    Dovetail Class Project, inside view.JPG
    And, more about learning to make the dovetail corners...won't win any Beauty Contests...not out of any fancy wood...
    Dovetail Class Project, Hinges.JPG
    Just a "Dovetail Class" project...3-1/4" tall, by 7" across the front, by 6" on the sides....

Just something to do, between building other projects...
    Steven, can you help me understnad what the double lap DT is? Would love to see how it goes together. Thanks for the lesson.

Had a how-to thread going...
    Dovetail Class, Day 2, four chopped.JPG
    Pins first seems to work best on these...makes it easier to lat out the tails..
    Dovetail Class, Day 2, four tails done.JPG
    Then slide the two together...
    Dovetail Class, Day 4, dry fit #4.JPG
    And you wind up with a corner like this..
    Dovetail Class, Day 4, better gap.JPG
    From the side/top....and from the edge..
    Dovetail Class, Day 4, end grain showing.JPG
    And...if you don't over cut...the insides will look like this
    Dovetail Class, Day 2, dry fit 1.JPG

making someone else wonder how it is all held together....with just glue....

Working on a Stickley #603 taboret. Should have it done in a week or so.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Aside from working on my rabbet plane, I finally fixed this and can start moving forward again. Brazilian rosewood and cherry center strip.20201031_155834.jpg20201031_155827.jpg

Well that's going to be a beauty!! I'd love to learn to make a guitar. I started one a while back, 3 or 4 years ago, and haven't finished. I got a little overwhelmed as I hadn't been woodworking that long. Even with more experience I am still intimidated on picking it back up. The Brazilian Rosewood will be spectacular. I still remember when guitars used to have all Brazilian Rosewood back and sides.

Progress shot ...

The stretchers are all turned. The remaining legs need to be morticed. Then final shaping to be completed.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I'm loving this thread – lots of super inspirational projects! For example, I never thought about building a guitar but seeing the pictures here I'm super inspired; I love music, I love beautiful wood, I want to be Eric Clapton – therefore I should build a guitar. Forget about the whole pesky concept of "learning to play the instrument" – Bah humbug! I would be happy to hold it and make some noise – baby steps.

Cheers, Mike

Finished the carcass and I’m working on the top panel. I’m going to miter the shoulders, so I’ve made a paring block to help get the angles correct. After I took this picture I started in on the first few shoulders. I’m definitely going slow and leaving everything a little over-sized. I’ll get all four corners close then sneak up on the final fit. There is probably a better way to do this, but it’s the first time I’ve done this detail on a frame, so I’m kind of figuring it out as I go. I made a middle rail, but I haven’t chopped mortises for it. I’ve gone back and forth on whether I think it will look good. I think i need to settle on the wood I want to use for the panel then decide whether it will look best broken up in two parts or left as one continuous panel.

i have a bit of rough grain on the carcass and on the frame, but nothing deep. I expect everything will look really good after I glue up and do the final planing, scraping, and sanding.

27580F9D-C18E-4BED-83FD-43E6030ECB45.jpg

My first shot at kumiko....copying a Mike Pekovich tea box for my daughter for Christmas
    E1AF1397-662B-43F7-AFF9-C0C635EAA604.jpgA3BBBE0A-FF5C-425A-B83B-4628FE6B1E10.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Progress shot ...

The stretchers are all turned. The remaining legs need to be morticed. Then final shaping to be completed.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Really liking the stools Derek!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Robinson View Post
    My first shot at kumiko....copying a Mike Pekovich tea box for my daughter for Christmas
    E1AF1397-662B-43F7-AFF9-C0C635EAA604.jpgA3BBBE0A-FF5C-425A-B83B-4628FE6B1E10.jpg
    Looking good Josh

The completed build is in the Projects forum: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....e-sided-stools

Regards from Perth

Derek