Thread: Used Laguna 18BX

Blog Entries

Used Laguna 18BX

Good afternoon everyone,

Thank you for all of yalls help in finding my first bandsaw. I found a used Laguna 18BX for sale with mobile base for $1725. The owner says that they have made 2 cuts on it and have decided to leave the hobby. What are your thoughts on this? Thank you so much for your feedback. I’m just trying to make a good decision.

Todd Sebek

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Sebek View Post
    Good afternoon everyone,

Thank you for all of yalls help in finding my first bandsaw. I found a used Laguna 18BX for sale with mobile base for $1725. The owner says that they have made 2 cuts on it and have decided to leave the hobby. What are your thoughts on this? Thank you so much for your feedback. I’m just trying to make a good decision.

Todd Sebek
    It reviews well and the Mobile base sells for $175.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2017...ts-big-brother

So I guess that you get a $2175 + Tax saw for $1725 and you have no warranty. So a $400 savings. Not bad. Did you verify that it works? Remember that the warranty is probably over.

Laguna tools often have a 10% off sale a couple times a year. If as new as the owner says it's not a bad deal but I would see if you can get him down a few bucks more.

Unless some carbide blades come with it , it’s not tat great a deal.

Unless, you need one today.

My target price on used machinery is 60% of retail.
    Leave yourself room in the price for moving it, and upgrading your electrical panel to supply 220v.

I agree with Dave. Not a great deal unless it comes with some good blades. Usually Laguna has a sale in the early fall sometime. I would wait till then

Laguna just ended their 10% off sale just over a month ago. I just bought that combination on sale for 10% off - $1956 plus tax. Now that the sale is over it would run $2174 plus tax. $1725 is over 20% off, not including tax, which would add another 7% to 8% or so. Sounds reasonable to me. And the saw is available now. It's going on the second month and I'm still waiting for delivery with no idea when it might come in.

Cliff
    Last edited by Cliff Polubinsky; 08-19-2020 at 11:58 AM.
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

People often throw out roughly half price for used equipment as a starting point. But I usually use about 35% for equipment that has been in a commercial shop and about 65% to 75% for tools owned by a hobbyist. Something that's almost new I would go higher. I do keep in mind sale prices, shipping charges, taxes, etc. and if I can wait (for example often Grizzy doesn't have the tool I'm looking for in stock). Then there's the fatigue of looking for something used. I didn't get back into woodworking to spend my free time searching for the best price on a tool. Months from now you may find another used BX18 for $1200 that has more use and is further away. When figuring in gas it could be $400 less but only you can answer if it's worth it to wait not knowing how long it will be vs having it and focusing on being creative.

Todd only you can decide if this is "the one". As others have said it is there now. Time to make a decision...

I have an 18 BX, and I will say that I have been exceptionally happy with it. I do keep a 1.25" resaw king on it most of the time, and also have a spare one to rotate when I need to send one out to be sharpened. I also have a variety of timberwolf blades and lenox diemaster 2 bimetal blades for it. I think it is a great saw, and I have resawn close to near the capacity, and it actually scares me a bit how easily it goes through that much wood. I also have the bow resaw featherboard for it, which I think is a great addition for resaw work. Changing blades can be a bit tedious, but I don't think it is too bad.

I would ask the seller if you could bring by a piece of wood to test on the saw, and ask what blades they have for the saw (keep in mind if you test it, the blade may be in poor condition). You will want to check that there is very little vibration when the saw is running, that the table is flat and square to the blade and fence. Check that the foot brake and microswitch are in working order. Check the tires and make sure the tension adjustment works smoothly. Look at the guides to make sure none of the ceramic is chipped, and that the vertical adjustment moves smoothly.

If you decide to buy it, I would recommend removing the table from the trunnions so that you aren't tempted to use it for lifting or strapping, as that could easily damage it.

As for value, I don't typically see laguna bandsaws coming up for sale very often, and the used market can vary by location. Considering I paid retail for mine, plus the mobility kit, and the many blades, that price does sound nice for no tax, especially if it is in nearly new condition.

If there are any problems that you notice though, make sure you are willing to walk away. Also, if there are things that you will need from customer service (like if the table wasn't square, or the fence was twisted for some reason, etc.), keep in mind that Laguna is currently moving their warehouse, and many customers have had lengthy delays with shipping for new machines, and especially small parts. I bought a second banjo for my 12/16 lathe to put on my outboard side, and it took a month for me to receive it, and I consider myself lucky. The move and the pandemic has done a number on their staffing, and it seems like right now they aren't able to keep up with what customers need. If it is in perfect working condition though, consider yourself lucky, as I have heard of some that are still waiting 2 months after ordering!