Thread: Good wood pairing with white oak?

Good wood pairing with white oak?

I will be making a Stickley 110 nightstand for one of our daughters. If I used white oak as the primary wood, but wanted something else for the side panels, what would look good with the white oak?

Full disclosure: I may end up with cherry as the primary wood, with curly maple for the panels. But the oak is definitely in play.

Walnut is one of my main choices. Deer antlers are walnut, body is maple on white oak20200527_212418.jpg

I would probably go with something lighter - plain maple in a natural finish. But taking the maple up the entire side panel might be too much. I might think about a Mackintosh - ish negative space in the lower part of the side panel, but with the maple sandwiched between 2 thin QSWO panels. So the interior could be all QSWO but the outside has this nice detail / geometric shape / pattern that shows the maple - or whatever accent wood you decide on.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I prefer walnut with white oak as well. The contract appeals to me.

Although you didn’t mention this combination, I have found ash and cherry to be very pleasing together.

In the context of your project, perhaps not a good fit, but I've seen Walnut used as an accent wood with white oak and it really looks nice. This is with the White Oak left natural.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I do like the contrast black walnut offers when used for relatively small accents. I have my doubts about using it for the entire side panels. I might play with Bill’s idea.

If we decide to go with cherry as the primary wood, I will take a look at ash as a possible alternative to maple. I do have a little ash on hand.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Aubuchon View Post
    I do like the contrast black walnut offers when used for relatively small accents. I have my doubts about using it for the entire side panels. I might play with Bill’s idea.

If we decide to go with cherry as the primary wood, I will take a look at ash as a possible alternative to maple. I do have a little ash on hand.

Thanks!
    Walnut looks nice with Cherry too (example below). But I'm not sure about using it for the entire side panels.

Another option would be to go all White Oak and prefinish the end panels for a different look. Perhaps fume them prior to assembly and finishing so they wind up darker to contrast the rest of the piece. Or do the opposite. Here's a little box I made where all the wood except the panels was fumed prior to assembly.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

If you find that piece kinda oppressive you could lighten it up by making the panels from poplar and either painting them or carving something into them. A little creativity can make the piece.