Thread: Refrigerator Door Seal Repair or Replace?

Blog Entries

Refrigerator Door Seal Repair or Replace?

A quick search on Google on repairing a refrigerator door seal pretty much only provides information on replacement.

Our Frigidaire refrigerator is a dozen years old and a crack has formed in the plastic of the door seal. The Mr. Fixit in me wants to find some kind of method to just seal the crack instead of having to go for the full replacement of the seal.

Currently it is only about six inches on one side of the seal.

Anyone have any ideas?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

While I can appreciate the idea of trying to just fix the existing seal, it's likely that the rest of the seal isn't in great shape no matter how it might appear visually given the age of the appliance you mention. Flexible stuff like that gets brittle over time. Personally, I'd replace the whole seal for that reason.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Be prepared for sticker shock when pricing a new door seal. Replacing it isn't a big deal.

If the refrigerator is a dozen years old, still working, and the only problem you've had with it is the seal, that refrigerator is most likely worth keeping. The percentages, as I've heard about, and had experience with working for that long trouble free is not good. Also, I don't think fixing the seal is going to be a win all the way around, any kind of way. I'd replace the seal.

Just like TV's, they're getting closer, and closer to figuring out how to build refrigerators out of nothing. It used to be that the appliance weighed a lot more than the food in it. It's gone the other way now.

Replace the seal... any repair will not last..

You might try Goop glue for a short term repair; it sticks to just about any and everything, and it's very flexible. However, it should dry undisturbed for about 24 hours.

I recently replaced the door gasket on our Amana fridge. I had to use the heat gun to soften it enough so it would seal properly. The gasket was around $175.00 CAD plus shipping.

Blog Entries
    Thanks all for the replies. Sounds like there is a reason all the hits on refrigerator doors with cracking door seals is on how to replace them.

Just like TV's, they're getting closer, and closer to figuring out how to build refrigerators out of nothing. It used to be that the appliance weighed a lot more than the food in it. It's gone the other way now.
    My experience of delivering appliances at my folks store taught me older refrigerators had insulation in them that would absorb water from condensation. That is why the old refrigerator we often removed from a house was so much heavier than the new one we were bringing in. Over the years the insulation has been improved and doesn't absorb as much moisture. Of course they are also made of less and lighter materials.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Been many years ago that my sister replaced her fridge due to a bad gasket. Said she didn't think it was worth a the price. At that time I was setting up a household so I took it home. I didn't have much income to work with and being a shade tree mechanic the thought came to mind "It's Just a casket" So i wiped everything down with lacquer thinner, applied a film of Vaseline to the fridge side and put a healthy bead of Form A Gasket on the door and gently closed it. Came back 24hrs later and it had frozen everything in it. That home made seal was still working five years later when I relocated and gave it away.

I'm a cheapskate who would just cut some clear shipping tape to fit the cracked space plus a few inches either way, clean the seal with some alcohol, and apply the tape. Probably 2 layers.

If you want something a bit more substantial:
    trexclr.jpg
    Good stuff, but not without a bit of sticker-shock itsownself

If you're patient, have some slickback (like signage-vinyl leftover backing), a straightedge and a fresh razor knife, you could cut enough strips to cover the entire seal with this stuff
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    A new seal should save on energy consumption as well. We replaced the seals on our refrigerator and I was amazed at the improvement in the refrigerator. The ice cubes are fresh and hard.

My sliding glass door seals were making loud squeeks when closing he door.

Armor All protectant worked well for that, and it works well on the door seals on our vehicles, along with protecting any vinyl in the car.

I think it would help prolong the life of the refrigerator gasket also.

A few different thoughts:
    1. Use a thin layer of silicon rubber (GE type 1 not type 2). It is pretty flexible.
    2. Consider getting a rubber seal from Home Depot. It comes on a roll. Perhaps it would work good enough.
    3. Try Googling Frigidaire refrigerator door seal. Some replacements are expensive and some are not too bad.
    4. Try Googling Universal refrigerator door seal. These are pretty cheap (like around $20).

I am with the crowd that suggests ordering a new seal and replacing it. My luck with internet suggested temporary fixes hasn't been too good.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 08-20-2020 at 11:31 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lamar Keeney View Post
    Been many years ago that my sister replaced her fridge due to a bad gasket. Said she didn't think it was worth a the price. At that time I was setting up a household so I took it home. I didn't have much income to work with and being a shade tree mechanic the thought came to mind "It's Just a casket" So i wiped everything down with lacquer thinner, applied a film of Vaseline to the fridge side and put a healthy bead of Form A Gasket on the door and gently closed it. Came back 24hrs later and it had frozen everything in it. That home made seal was still working five years later when I relocated and gave it away.
    Brilliant!!!!!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”