Thread: Black Cherry Tree Free Blanks

Black Cherry Tree Free Blanks

I lost two trees in the storm last week, one of them was a black cherry tree that had three risers from the stump and all three were fair size. The tree has been cut into logs, anyone who lives in my area that is interested in some turning blanks please contact me ASAP. I have a friend who owns both a lumber mill and a kiln for drying lumber, he is supposed to drop by in a few days and pickup some of the logs to mill and dry them for me.

Unfortunately I am not a turner other then a few pens now and again. So I am offering anyone in my local area the opportunity to drop by and cut a few turning blanks for free. Call me to arrange a time and you must bring your own chain saw.

Hayes Virginia in Gloucester County 23072
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-16-2020 at 11:19 AM.

Wish I lived closer.... I do have some 2 year old black cherry in pots waiting to get planted this fall.... Don't get much of it out west here, and I doubt I will live long enough to harvest any of it...

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Wish I lived closer.... I do have some 2 year old black cherry in pots waiting to get planted this fall.... Don't get much of it out west here, and I doubt I will live long enough to harvest any of it...

robo hippy
    I have about a dozen that are about 18" in diameter and I can't bring myself to cut any of them unless damaged by a storm. Funny how that works. I even have one on my neighbor's property (that he said I could have) with a 3' in diameter burl that I've held off cutting down. It's not just the cherry. I have some real nice beech trees that I'm dying to get on the lathe. Never turned it yet I still haven't cut a healthy one down yet.

I have a 30 inch diameter avian cherry with some 12 inch branches that I need to take down soon.. Bottom part of the stump is hollow. I tried to get folks who were interested in free wood to just help me drop it. They don't even have to help clean up. It have equipment to even load the logs. Can't get anyone interested. If I end up taking it down myself, I will get it all milled into slabs Had a 22 inch black walnut and no body interested. Let a guy have it for firewood on condition he clean up. All he had to do was put the branches in a pile to be burned.

BTW, I am 45 miles north-northeast of Baltimore, MD ( about 20 miles north of the MD-PA line) Should any one be interested. Just PM me.
    Last edited by Perry Hilbert Jr; 08-18-2020 at 9:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I have about a dozen that are about 18" in diameter and I can't bring myself to cut any of them unless damaged by a storm. Funny how that works. I even have one on my neighbor's property (that he said I could have) with a 3' in diameter burl that I've held off cutting down. It's not just the cherry. I have some real nice beech trees that I'm dying to get on the lathe. Never turned it yet I still haven't cut a healthy one down yet.
    Same here - I have acres of trees but don't cut them unless necessary or nature brings them down. Even then, most of it rots.

But even then, in this part of the country there is so much hardwood it's hard to give it away, especially since the woodturning clubs are not meeting. I have holly, cherry, dogwood, pear, and magnolia headed for the burn pile. I process what I can into turning blanks and into boards with the Woodmizer but I'm seriously running out of room for even small turning blanks. Too bad we don't have a cheap and easy way to get wood across the country to places where good hardwood doesn't grow like weeds.

JKJ

It's not just shipping wood. I have a friend who was always buying Harbor Freight tools for his jobsite tool boxes. That includes T handle hex wrenches. He assumed that the guys were loosing them but it turns out the handle is plastic and while working on ladders occasionally they would fall and the plastic would shatter. I talked him into getting a set of American made Bondhus. Being all steel they lasted so he bought 5 more sets. They have no use for the 10mm one so he gave them to me. They fit the Vicmarc 120 chuck (and probably other sizes and brands). I thought I would offer them to people here for free but the shipping charge makes it more worthwhile to just buy the whole set.

I bought all Bondhus hex wrenches for my Vicmark chucks. The plastic handles all broke, some from being dropped on the floor, and some from use... If I had a welder, I would have welded a piece of round bar stock on the end.... I don't think I will be able to break them...

robo hippy

Yesterday I finally had the time to pick up the black cherry lumber from my friend who milled and kiln dried it for me.
    I received about twice as much lumber as I had expected.
    Temporarily I will have to store it in my cargo trailer until I can find the time to move it to my lumber racks, but they are limited to eight foot lumber. The twelve foot boards will have to go elsewhere.

Black Cherry_sm.jpg

I don't use a lot of lumber anymore since I started making commercial signs so these boards will last me a long time.
    I will have my planner out this afternoon though, getting a couple boards ready to use for some Christmas presents

You sure got some nice looking pieces out of those trees and Christmas gifts from the wood will be appreciated all the more because they were made from home grown lumber.

I just planed about ten short boards of the black cherry (pics later). Now its on to the wooden gifts production and at least one hundred custom Christmas ornaments this year. This will keep my busy for about ten days along with leaf mulching and other chores. Any time left over before Christmas will be spent making some CNC Routed Christmas yard decorations.

Can't remember what the brand of food safe oil finish I used in the past, its been a long time.

Ted I still have some huge stump pieces in the back yard if you want some for turning blanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    ...Ted I still have some huge stump pieces in the back yard if you want some for turning blanks
    Thanks Keith. Appreciate the offer and would love a piece or two if they are still available in a few weeks.