Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plumbing Rants past week - 4 issues

Plumbing Rants past week - 4 issues

The past week was full of little plumbing issues that should have easily been handled.

1. Toilet running needing to change the fill valve. Bought the replacement fill valve at Walmart, Fluidmaster 400AH, the later version of original valve in the American Standard toilet. Waited several days wanting to have time with hardware store open if additional parts (gaskets, etc ) were needed. Found that the supply valve replaced when bought house 8 years back worked fine and hose had a finger tight wing connection and easy removal. The lock nut under the toilet was in a recess and not visible but looked at the replacement nut and it had wings. First bought a universal tool for the fill hoses that worked with socket drive, but it would not go in the recess. Next bought a "shower valve socket wrench" that I could cut slots in side to fit the wing nut, but it did not fit either. Last resort, used cell phone camera to take a picture under the toilet and found that it was a hex nut but no way to get a measurement. Went back to Ace and bought a set of the "shower valve socket wrench" that went up to 1 5/32" which fit the nut and I could get the old fill valve removed. I had to use the same nut for replacement since the furnished lock nut with new fill valve would not fit the recess. I called American Standard and talked to the tech but that was a worthless call since he kept saying I bought the wrong fill valve and did not acknowledge the poor design by American Standard. Lesson learned - take a photo if you cannot see up in a blind area.

2. Had a leak under kitchen sink. Checking I found that the drain basket on side without disposal had a leak in the putty joint. Had to use my Dremel with cutoff wheel to cut the locknut since the locknut was frozen to the basket and the cross inside was too weak to hold basket. New basket and putty from trip to Ace, and then had granddaughter hold the basket while I tightened underneath. Had to do several tries to get basket centered (next time need to give better instructions) and the paper gasket next to lock nut got wet and I had to cut a new gasket from thin cardboard cereal box. Leak fixed only to find additional leak at faucet #3.

3. The single handle kitchen faucet with pull out spray was leaking at the connection to the hose. I am pretty sure it is a Pfister fixture, but could not find any identification marks on the fixture and only a paper tag on hot water line that said"Caution……". There is a special plastic hose connection from the valve tube to the hose and leak is at the valve side. A call to Pfister and then sending them photos of the fixture and connection resulted in the tech saying it is not Pfister. I looked at all the different kitchen faucets available at Lowes (where purchased almost 9 years back) showed that only Pfister used a special connection to hose and rest just used a nut compression connection. Still have a small leak but have pan under trying to get resolved. I did not have the paperwork on the original faucet when I had it installed.

4. Had wet floor by central air unit in house. Found the condensate drain line had plugged up and the unit does not have a drain pan with emergency drain. Need to use drain cleaner on condensate line twice a year without fail - my bad but bad installation also.

I am still glad that I did not call a plumber and use my experience from working 60+ years back, but next time...……..
    The toilet repair should have been 2 finger tight connections and simple repair. The drain basket should have used a plastic washer for better design. The sink hose should have been a simple connection. There should have been a secondary pan with the air handler unit for condensate drain plugging. Glad to get the rant off my chest

Feel your pain. Out of all the home maintenance/repair/remodel areas, I've found plumbing stuff to be the most likely to not go smoothly. Despite my many years of accumulating tools and "stuff", plumbing tasks almost always seem to require a trip to one store or another.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    Back in California plumbing was always one problem or another.

Here in rural Southwest Washington there have been only two or three in the twelve years living here.

The difference may be we now have water from our own well without all the "city water" chemicals.

Usually home repair projects take three trips to the hardware store. First to buy all the stuff you think you need. Second to buy all the stuff you really need. Third to return all the stuff you didn't need.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

One tip is warm the plumbers putty in the microwave.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

The difference may be we now have water from our own well without all the "city water" chemicals.

jtk
    I have the opposite experience.

Town water near the Adirondacks never silted fixtures, or corroded copper pipes. It absolutely destroyed sacrificial anodes in hot water heaters.

Our (current) well occludes shower head nozzles, sink aerators and the copper pipes sprout pinhole leaks.

The trace, nearly immesurable mineral content of water makes a huge difference in system longevity, nevermind seismic stress on supply lines.

Not much worse stuff to work on, than old plumbing. It used to be that the older it was, the worse it was to work on. Somewhere in the last few decades, that has reversed.

Talking about water heater anodes. I asked my dedicated plumbing supplier if they carried replacement anodes, specifically the flexible ones. His answer: "We sell the water heaters."

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    and the paper gasket next to lock nut got wet and I had to cut a new gasket from thin cardboard cereal box.
    Surprising - I haven't encountered a paper gasket in installing sink drains.

Kitchen sink strainer. I think Bill posted that on the wrong thread. The cardboard washer is to keep the rubber washer from binding on the big nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Kitchen sink strainer. I think Bill posted that on the wrong thread. The cardboard washer is to keep the rubber washer from binding on the big nut.
    That is correct and works well the first time if dry. When wet if there should be a leak and you have to reseat, it falls apart. A thin plastic washer would be a better product and probably only add a couple of cents to package cost. I expect it was made in China, but then there was not much choice and I got the best that Ace had at store.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    That is correct and works well the first time if dry. When wet if there should be a leak and you have to reseat, it falls apart. A thin plastic washer would be a better product and probably only add a couple of cents to package cost. I expect it was made in China, but then there was not much choice and I got the best that Ace had at store.

Make your own plastic washer from a milk jug, or bleach jug. Use some silicon grease on both sides. I used to keep a couple of premade washers in the truck during working days. A drywall circle cutter can be used to make them. Be sure to cut outer diameter first, then inner diameter

"Make your own plastic washer from a milk jug, or bleach jug."

That's clever.

Sounds like it is time for a new house!

I did home inspections for 13 years but last 6 was mostly all new construction Predrywall and final.
    The items bad on almost every house between 10 and 17 were a multitude of toilet problems, disposals, leaks under sinks, kitchen faucet falling apart, shower head issues, shower pans leaking, tub/shower controls loose in the wall and internal parts installed wrong, GFI outlets bad, outdated or bad smoke and CO detectors, HVAC condensate drainage problems and many more but those were rampant. People are more scared of a plumber than a dentist. The reasons the houses between 17 and 20 being better were because most problems got so bad they had some things fixed or already sold the house.

This sounds like the typical house maintenance items. These are not fun but need to be done.

My solar roof vent motor was going out this week and I had to replace it. It was HOT and I had to put down some mats on the shingles.

They are building a large number of homes here in Indiana as people leave Illinois. My understanding is that the components are really on the low end and will require repair/replacement in a few years. Does this younger generation have the skills to do home maintenance or will this become a big demand for repair people. Can you imagine the cost to fix a faucet or clean a condensate drain?
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 08-22-2020 at 7:39 AM.

I received the following comment from American Standard after sending them my thoughts about the problem changing the fill valve on toilet:
    "With concealed trap way toilets, changing out parts can be difficult. Unlike the regular gravity flush toilets, the concealed tray way hides the back of the bowl for a clean look, but it can be difficult when changing out your valve. If there is anything we can assist you with in the future, please feel free to contact us at ……………...Advisor will be happy to assist you."

Feel better already. Still a bad design and should not be out there. Almost like pulling the car engine to change the oil filter level of poor design.