Thread: Where to get blades?

Where to get blades?

Good morning all,
    Wondering where everyone has found to be the best source for bandsaw blades? I recently stumbled into a enercraft Silva saw 30. He had lots of blades for it, however they have all been sharpened several times, I figure it wouldn't be a bad idea to order more not knowing what the lead time is on them.
    Thanks Evan

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Meier View Post
    Good morning all,
    Wondering where everyone has found to be the best source for bandsaw blades? I recently stumbled into a enercraft Silva saw 30. He had lots of blades for it, however they have all been sharpened several times, I figure it wouldn't be a bad idea to order more not knowing what the lead time is on them.
    Thanks Evan
    Where do you live? A local bandsaw shop in Knoxville TN (Holston Gases) makes bandsaw blades to order, any size, any type. They use Lennox stock. I have them make up 1/2"x3 tpi blades for my shop saw and larger blades for my Woodmizer bandsaw. Sometimes they can make them while I wait, sometimes I have to pick them up the next day. Prices are good.

There may be a shop near you. The Lennox web site will identify their dealers and those dealers which have a shop and can make blades.

Note that your existing older blades may have some more sharpenings in them. I typically sharpen my 3tpi blades at least 3 or 4 times, by hand, with a Dremel. The cut is not as smooth as a new blade but that doesn't matter a bit for how I use the saw.

JKJ

I plan on resharpening the ones I have. The mill came with an automatic sharpener and setter. I will check the lenex website. Have you ever ordered from cook saws? They come up predominantly along with woodmizer when just searching online

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Meier View Post
    ...Have you ever ordered from cook saws?...
    No, the Lennox from the local shop are all I need. I usually order 8-10 blades at a time.

JKJ

I have been very happy with Kasco bandsaw blades. I tried about 7 different brands and they came out ahead for life/cost on my mill. WoodMaxx blades at www.Kasco.com They have common sizes listed but I call and get the size I need for my mill.

Woodland Mills bandsaws come with Lennox blades and I like them a lot. But Woodmizer was (still is?) having free shipping on their blades so I ordered 5 of them; $106 to my door for 5 blades. They are the same size and pitch as the Lennox blades (1-1/4 x 7/8) but clearly made from different stock. Out of the box the Lennox Blades from Woodland Mills cut longer before needing to be sharpened compared to those from Woodmizer. After sharpening the Woodmizer blades cut more BF than when new and maybe more than a resharpened Lennox. In the end, both blades cut well and cost less than $25 each which is an incredible bargain - unless you hit metal on the first cut. Ouch.

John

I have had great service and performance from Timber Wolf blades. Both on my sawmill and on the saw in the shop.
    https://www.timberwolfblades.com/

What size blade? What horsepower? What pitch? What mix of woods? All have a direct effect on what pitch, hook, and so on, you should look at. Some blade manufacturers simply dont offer a wide variety of options. Others are just back-dooring from manufacturers like Morse. You will order a batch of blades and they wont even be fabricated from who you buy them from.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 08-17-2020 at 1:26 PM.