Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: PM-V11 on Lie-Nielson Planes?

In some discussions about the advantages of the LN and LV planes it is pointed out the level of precision machining these planes receive. The depth adjustment yoke is one of the components that benefits from that, it is said that these planes have minimal or no backlash. Screwing around with the cap iron fitting may add backlash to the depth adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    I have been to around ten Lie Nielsen hand tool events. I have never seen a LN plane perform like an old Bailey. I don't know whether their problems are with the steel or the sharpening media or the one who is sharpening.
    Don't want to start something but you have me curious. From my recollection of previous posts it seems like you're not a big LN guy (which is fine), but that being the case, why would you spend your time going to 10 Lie Nielsen events?

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I'm also in a different position where I do not find sharpening enjoyable. It's just necessary for me. So, while I understand the difference in feel etc.. I don't get excited about it, which makes me very pragmatic towards sharpening
    Mike,

It isn't just feel but both stone and iron are getting too deep into the weeds to be interesting to anyone other than a sharpening nerd and guilty as charged . But for those that wish to change from LN cutters to after market iron for whatever reason there are issues that may need dealing with.

BTW, I'm in the process of re-evaluating my whole process, world view, whatever, and when it is over may require a healthy serving of Crow. At this time I think it will just confirm what I've thought for ages but is a different way to get there or could be just a improvement.

Whatever, it still comes down to what blows your skirt.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Mike,

It isn't just feel but both stone and iron are getting too deep into the weeds to be interesting to anyone other than a sharpening nerd and guilty as charged . But for those that wish to change from LN cutters to after market iron for whatever reason there are issues that may need dealing with.

BTW, I'm in the process of re-evaluating my whole process, world view, whatever, and when it is over may require a healthy serving of Crow. At this time I think it will just confirm what I've thought for ages but is a different way to get there or could be just a improvement.

Whatever, it still comes down to what blows your skirt.

ken
    Yea, the unicorn edge method has my interest.. but playing with it will have to wait until I'm far enough in my project to get the grinder out (I'm still in the shuffling things around to be able to work on sections bit).
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Hillestad View Post
    Don't want to start something but you have me curious. From my recollection of previous posts it seems like you're not a big LN guy (which is fine), but that being the case, why would you spend your time going to 10 Lie Nielsen events?
    There is usually more than just Lie Nielsen at these events. Ten years ago I met Matt Bickford at an event at Ball and Ball. It was his first show, early on the first day. I remember telling him that most people needed education. They could not look at a complex molding and plan how to make it with hollows and rounds. He was skeptical that day, but soon was writing a blog and a book on how to make moldings. I met Mark Peet, wood collector. He said "Rhamnus cathartica, common buckthorn" as soon as I pulled a sample from my pocket.

I have also met Steve Voigt (planemaker), Dan Schwank (Red Rose), Raney Nelson (Daed), Isaac Smith (Blackburn Tools), Jim Leamy (plow planes), Paul Peters (Acer Ferrous), and lots more. It is very stimulating.

6. Fair enough, makes a lot more sense framed in that manner.

Blog Entries
    There is usually more than just Lie Nielsen at these events.
    Yes, on my first attendance at an LN Tool Event, Thom Lie-Nielsen was met along with Ron Hock and Glenn Drake. It was also in a foundry/art studio so there were also demonstrations of non-woodworking interests.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've got more than my fair share of LN and LV planes (what can I say, SWMBO buys them for me as presents and better than ties or shoes). Yes I use a few of them, but not all of them. Once you get used to a certain plane, it is very hard to move to another. For me (since mid 2019), it is my MF #3, my 5-1/2 Bailey and my LN jointer.

Now to the unicorn edge: The power buffing makes this very easy (I tried it last week!), but the fact is, many of us have been doing this for quite a while, though with a strop. I've had problems how many seem to think a low angle grind is bad, and it might very well be. But my stropping of the edge changes the angle with which the chisel enters the wood. I'm not a sharpening aficionado and I don't really think a bunch about the sharpening angle, some might be very low, some not so low.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Tage Frid buffed chisel edges on a buffer (see his dovetailing video) so this is of course nothing new though I take it from your post that there are some who think it is. With regard to a bench chisel, stropping on leather produces the same effect if you go at it vigorously as the leather rolls up in a wave in front of the chisel - Paul Sellers comes to mind though he by no means owns the particular stropping routine he demonstrates on his website. Stropping vigorously on something very firm is likely to product facets rather than a smooth curve at the cutting edge.
    Last edited by Charles Guest; 08-17-2020 at 4:56 PM.