Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PM-V11 on Lie-Nielson Planes?

PM-V11 on Lie-Nielson Planes?

I see Veritas has PM-V11 blades for non Veritas planes.

Do any of these fit without modification in LN planes?

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post

Blades yes; chip breaker no. The Stanley plane replacement blades of appropriate size pretty much fit.

Erich,

The Veritas PM-V11 iron fits a LN plane with no problem. The problem is the cap iron on some LN planes. Because the Veritas iron is thinner than the LN the adjuster may keep the cutter/cap iron from seating properly. It can be fixed by grinding the hole in the cap iron until it seats. Not a big deal other than being a PITA. BTW, none of my LN planes have LN A2 cutters and most needed modification of the chip breaker for the replacement chip breaker/iron to seat on the frog.

ken

The problem lies with the positioning of the slot for the Y lever, that is, where it pokes out of the chipbreaker.

Here are three chipbreakers: Veritas, LN and Stanley. The slot for the LN is 1/4" higher than the other two ...

So, use the LN chipbreaker with the PM-V11 blade.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post

So, use the LN chipbreaker with the PM-V11 blade.
    No modification? Just works?

No modification? Just works?
    Yes.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Yes.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Should be maybe. What I posted above still applies. Sometimes yes, The LN chip breaker with a PM-v11 cutter will work without mods. Most of the time no, The hole in the LN chip breaker will need enlarging for the prong on the "Y" lever to fit and allow the PM-v11/LN cap iron set to mate with the frog.

There are two problems with using after market cutters with LN planes. The first: All other cutters that I know of with maybe the exception of Clifton are thinner than LN iron. Because the cutter is thinner the prong on the "Y" leaver will need to set deeper into the cap iron. Often it can not set deep enough to allow the cutter/chipbreaker to mate with the frog. If that is the case the easiest fix is to slightly enlarge the hole in the chip breaker. The second problem, also an easy fix, is the different location of the hole for the adjuster vs. other chipbreakers, as Derek pointed out. The fix is to use LN chipbreakers with your PM-v11 cutter.

BTW, I could be wrong, but I think the newer your LN plane is the more likely you will have the problem. One of the reasons the LN plane has very little backlash with their adjuster is because the fit of the prong and the hole in the cap iron is so tight. The prong is angled which means as the prong engages it can only go so deep. With a thinner cutter that limit may keep the chipbreaker/cutter from mating with the frog.

Sorry to get so deep into the weeds, but bottom line is maybe.

ken

On mine (4, 6, 7) I needed to treat the opening in the chip breaker as above and in addition widen the slot to fit over the lateral adjustment wheel. A thou or two does it. Dremel tool.

Using the LN chip breaker, I needed no blade alteration on my 2014 build (iirc) #4.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    Using the LN chip breaker, I needed no blade alteration on my 2014 build (iirc) #4.
    Tony,

That has been my experience, again I'm old and forgetful but I think I've only had the problem with newer planes. In a way it makes sense, the tighter the fit of the "Y's" prong with the chip breaker the less backlash of the depth adjuster. LN's "improvement" of their planes makes fitting an aftermarket cutter harder.

ken

Blog Entries
    I have never had an issue with Lee Valley. Contact them and you will get an answer.

Rob Lee reads this forum, maybe he will repond.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Tony,

That has been my experience, again I'm old and forgetful but I think I've only had the problem with newer planes. In a way it makes sense, the tighter the fit of the "Y's" prong with the chip breaker the less backlash of the depth adjuster. LN's "improvement" of their planes makes fitting an aftermarket cutter harder.

ken
    Meanwhile at LN HQ, employee goes to boss: “Mr. Lie Nielsen, the latest design tweak means that the Lee Valley blades won’t fit on our planes.”

Tom, secretly smirking, “Oh, darn.”*

*I have never seen that there is much of an adversarial relationship between the brands.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have never had an issue with Lee Valley. Contact them and you will get an answer.

Rob Lee reads this forum, maybe he will repond.
    Lowel,

It is not a Lee Valley problem. It is a compatibility problem between the chip breaker, cutter and frog when trying to use a cutter that is thinner than the LN A2 cutter.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    Meanwhile at LN HQ, employee goes to boss: “Mr. Lie Nielsen, the latest design tweak means that the Lee Valley blades won’t fit on our planes.”

Tom, secretly smirking, “Oh, darn.”*

*I have never seen that there is much of an adversarial relationship between the brands.
    Tony,

Thanks for my morning laugh ,

ken

Main problem...IF the yoke's tab that adjusts the depth of cut can not REACH that slot in the chipbreaker, because the iron is too thick....doesn't matter who's chipbreaker you use on a plane....because you will be adjusting with a small hammer, instead...