Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new favorite work light

My new favorite work light

I've always kind of hated my halogen work lights. The typical dual head lights on a tripod with 500 watt halogen lamps in each head. They heat up a room quickly, there's a lot of glare from them, the light color and color rendering is lousy. They take up a lot of room and it's easy to blow out a lamp if you jar them when on.

I picked up one of these from menards: http://www.gtledlighting.com/shop-li...t/gt-98a-cri/?

What a difference: Bright, even, 5000k light, with a 90 CRI, lightweight, small, very sturdily made, adjustable angle, don't throw off too much heat (60 watts). It checks all the boxes for me. All of my halogens are going to Habitat.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Looks good. How much does it cost. I’m doing some flooring in a room right now and man those halogens heat up that room fast.

I have seen replacement halogen stick bulbs with LED's no idea on wattage or color.
    Bill D.

first link that popped up. Please let us know if these are ballpark lumens and color needed. If they are I will have to look closer at the yard sale lights like that.
    https://www.wish.com/product/5dfaedb..._BwE&share=web

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Looks good. How much does it cost. I’m doing some flooring in a room right now and man those halogens heat up that room fast.
    I think it was about $72 at menards with their 11% rebate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I have seen replacement halogen stick bulbs with LED's no idea on wattage or color.
    Bill D.

first link that popped up. Please let us know if these are ballpark lumens and color needed. If they are I will have to look closer at the yard sale lights like that.
    https://www.wish.com/product/5dfaedb..._BwE&share=web
    For 7 or 8 bucks they might be worth a try. They put out a lot less light than the halogens, and less than the unit I linked to. They're available in 5000K but the CRI is only spec'ed at >80, which usually means 80.1. That's ok for general work, but not great for painting. At only 25 watts, it's going to throw off a lot less heat than the halogens. The general issue with this style lamp is that even though it's only 25 watts, the heat is generated in a very small space, so they run quite hot, which is hard on the electronics in there. The unit I linked to has a the LEDs spaced out on a large panel heatsink so the leds run a lot cooler.

I changed the heads on my dual head Halogen worklights to Snap On Led's. I think it was 2014, or '15 when they were sold at Costco. I thought it very strange that Costco was selling Snap On, but for the $25 they were selling them for, I decided to try one. I went back the next day, and bought 4 more. Now, I wish I'd bought more. They're all still working.

About six months later, they were selling on ebay for 50 bucks, but they all sold quickly. Amazon had them for 45 a couple of years later, so I bought two more.

The biggest trouble with them is that they are too bright for some things.

https://www.amazon.com/Snap-922261-W...85700779&psc=1

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    I've always kind of hated my halogen work lights. The typical dual head lights on a tripod with 500 watt halogen lamps in each head. They heat up a room quickly, there's a lot of glare from them, the light color and color rendering is lousy.
    I more than kinda hate those halogen lights. So many burns. But actually, the CRI of halogen light is 100, better than any LED or fluorescent. The color temperature of halogen isn't that great though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I more than kinda hate those halogen lights. So many burns. But actually, the CRI of halogen light is 100, better than any LED or fluorescent. The color temperature of halogen isn't that great though.
    I stand corrected, thank you; I just never liked painting while using the halogens. Maybe it's the color temp or glare that gives me trouble.

I stand corrected, thank you; I just never liked painting while using the halogens. Maybe it's the color temp or glare that gives me trouble.
    I bought one of those 2 headed halogens when I painted our house 5-6 years ago. I used it on the first day and turned it off after about a half hour because the glare was so bad. And hot. Never used it again. Trashed it some months later when it was in the way of a basement rearrangement.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I did an LED conversion. It’s not as bright as the halogen it replaced but a heck of a lot cooler and cheaper to run.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....eat&highlight=
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    I agree. I've always hated those halogens for just about everything.

Hi Paul,

I actually have a bit of a favor to ask. I am glad to here you are liking the GT-98A-CRI because I have been thinking about buying one myself. I am interested in this product for the purposes of lighting in videography due to it's high CRI. However, one thing I have not been able to confirm through searching online is whether or not the light will flicker on camera. Is there anyway you could take a video of something with this light shining on it and upload it and/or just confirm that it doesn't flicker on camera? I really would like to know this detail before I pull the trigger on the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hatten View Post
    Hi Paul,

I actually have a bit of a favor to ask. I am glad to here you are liking the GT-98A-CRI because I have been thinking about buying one myself. I am interested in this product for the purposes of lighting in videography due to it's high CRI. However, one thing I have not been able to confirm through searching online is whether or not the light will flicker on camera. Is there anyway you could take a video of something with this light shining on it and upload it and/or just confirm that it doesn't flicker on camera? I really would like to know this detail before I pull the trigger on the purchase.
    I'll give it a try later today and let you know.

Much appreciated! Thank you!

I'll give it a try later today and let you know.
    I made a short video (Iphone) with that light as the only light source and saw no evidence of flicker so I think it should work for you.