Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remake of an old (My Dad's) Railroad Bench

Blog Entries
    Just fantastic.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

OK...last couple of pictures. Put the bench in it's spot today. Also the rains came hard and heavy but the water beaded up like on a waxed car finish.
    Jim
    20200814_175115.jpg
    20200814_175105.jpg
    20200814_175057.jpg

Beautiful job, Jim. Love the design and the metal arm rests. Enjoy it!

That's a really nice bench! Was it teak originally? Is "railroad bench" a style or was it used by a railway? If the latter, do you know its history?

Fantastic job. Love the bench and the fact that you restored it to life.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    That's a really nice bench! Was it teak originally? Is "railroad bench" a style or was it used by a railway? If the latter, do you know its history?
    It wasn't teak originally. The wood is old and greyed. I'm planning to try and reuse some of the old wood that was in it to make a planted to go beside the bench.
    As for the style, it was a bench that my Dad had in his "railway car" ( like a boarding room that he stayed in while working out in the middle of nowhere when he was operating a pile driver. He was one of 2 Pile Driver operators for the ACL. It was a huge steam powered machine that drove pilings(poles) into the river or swamp beds so they could lay track for the train. He worked in some isolated areas.
    I seem to remember benches like this in the Railroad station for people to sit while waiting for a train. This bench was in his car in the 1950's so I'm not sure when it was made.
    I also have a couple of old walnut chairs that came out of his railway car that I am still "in process" on. They were built to last also.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    It wasn't teak originally. The wood is old and greyed. I'm planning to try and reuse some of the old wood that was in it to make a planted to go beside the bench.
    As for the style, it was a bench that my Dad had in his "railway car" ( like a boarding room that he stayed in while working out in the middle of nowhere when he was operating a pile driver. He was one of 2 Pile Driver operators for the ACL. It was a huge steam powered machine that drove pilings(poles) into the river or swamp beds so they could lay track for the train. He worked in some isolated areas.
    Jim
    Like these?: (I don't have any inside pictures that might show the furnishings)

20180902-20180824-DSC_2226_HDR.jpg

Similar in size/shape but I remember his being pulled off on a side rail from the main track. It had rail wheels on it, not tires like those seem to show.
    They were usually in the same general spot for awhile when they started building a trestle so I think the crew put in a side "parking pad" when they started.
    Jim

Beautiful jim looks great

Really nice. I am sure the original was almost this well done.
    Charlie Jones

Very nicely done Jim.

12. Well that's pretty cool! Nice work!