Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remake of an old (My Dad's) Railroad Bench

Remake of an old (My Dad's) Railroad Bench

I've been working on this old Railroad bench that was my Dad's. The original one was rotted and falling apart(except for the iron armrests). I asked and got some advice (Thanks) on the Teak I used over on the Boatbuilding Forum.
    I decided awhile back that I would remake it as close to original as possible out of some Teak that I had on hand for the last 20 years. My purpose was to recreate the old bench, not to make/design a new one. Over the last few weeks, I ordered and received stainless steel screws, clear coating that is supposed to protect the raw metal on the 3 armrests and some teak oil to put on the wood. I also had to buy some additional Teak to finish.....$OUCH) Now, it is finally completed and I am happy with the final project. The pictures are of the old bench (this post), a few in process pictures(next post) and the new finished bench (3rd post).

20200705_154128.jpg
    20200705_154135.jpg
    20200705_154206.jpg
    20200705_154439.jpg

Well done! And I noticed you have the grain of that nosing oriented properly. Bark side up. That is a must with conifers,
    and a good idea most of the time with hardwoods. Keeps the grain from from becoming "razor blade" like when exposed
    to weather.

Epic.

It's a beauty.

Kudos

Jim, superb recreation. Like the gentle curve of the seating and the beading on the slats.

Blog Entries
    Great job... That would make your Dad proud.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Jim, very nicely done. So, how does it sit? Ie, comfortable?

Thanks for all the nice comments.......Haven't t gotten it off the bench yet......pouring rain here everyday. Plan to get it out tomorrow. I have no preconceived notion that it will be very comfortable. One of the thoughts I struggled with was whether to make major changes to the design/curves or stay true to the way it was made. I opted with original design. It's going out in our front yard area so It will get sat in, but not for hours on end.

Jim

Beautiful work!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    An excellent job. I'm sure it will last a long time.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Beautiful work and result. Did you ever consider eliminating the bead detail?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Mike,
    I kept virtually all design elements except the use of nails in joinery. I liked the beads on the old one and thought it was one of the unique features to keep.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    Mike,
    I kept virtually all design elements except the use of nails in joinery. I liked the beads on the old one and thought it was one of the unique features to keep.

Jim

Well done Jim - I agree about the beads - wonderful detail.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Very nice, and it will remind you of your father when you sit in it. I like projects with a story behind them.