Thread: What is this definite purpose contactor wire? And wireless remotes. PIC

What is this definite purpose contactor wire? And wireless remotes. PIC

The definite purpose contactor used on my dust collector install had the red wire shown in the photo below connected from the numbered 3 terminal. I disconnected it not knowing its purpose. Any idea under what circumstances it's used? Also, as a side note I couldn't be more pleased with the wireless remotes used to turn on my DC, rotary phase converter and air cleaner. The one purchased was from Home Depot and cost less than $20 for 3 stations. The air cleaner was hooked up only because of the extra station. So far the remote worked flawlessly from any place in the shop and hasn't been lost yet. Anyway, here's the photo of the contactor.
    Dust Collector 001.jpg

If disconnecting it did nothing then it was not needed. It may have been a plan to add a pilot light? The picture is not clear did it go under the same screw head as the red wire in use?
    Bil lD

1- control power to stop and start
    2- stop to N.O. aux
    3- start to load side of N.O. aux/ X1 on coil.

fcdf12c1356f2457658b51c16c82a507.jpg

This shows a motor starter with thermal protection, but it's the same principle.

That is not a definite purpose contactor, it is a NEMA size 1 contactor, which is a quality product, DP contactors are throw away products and are rated differently. If it is just a short length of wire attached to the contactor terminal, simply remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    That is not a definite purpose contactor, it is a NEMA size 1 contactor, which is a quality product, DP contactors are throw away products and are rated differently. If it is just a short length of wire attached to the contactor terminal, simply remove it.
    Thanks for the correction Rollie and advice. I should also ask since this was brought up in another thread, should the white and red wires on the line and load terminals be taped black to indicate they are both hot wires from a 240 VAC circuit?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Thanks for the correction Rollie and advice. I should also ask since this was brought up in another thread, should the white and red wires on the line and load terminals be taped black to indicate they are both hot wires from a 240 VAC circuit?
    White wires on a line or load must be marked in some way. Red does not need to be marked.