Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving Machines Long Distance

Quote Originally Posted by David Davies View Post
    rent a truck and JLG drop deck trailer.
    Dave Davies
    This is what I’d do if I were in your position. It’s obviously not required that you have your own towing / OWWM moving rig to acquire said machinery, but it sure makes it less stressful and logistically simpler to be able to handle this type of stuff yourself from a hauling and moving perspective and adds some piece of mind compared to trusting freight companies with precious cargo.

I do realize this is one of those things that can become a thing just to acquire the other things, but for me having a few different trailer options helps me out in a lot of other areas outside of moving woodworking tools so it’s worth it for me (and others) to invest in such setups. Doesn’t have to be complicated. I use a low decked 6x12’ tandem axle utility trailer that can handle machines up to at least 3k pounds, though I don’t know how much I’d want to deal with a machine much heavier than that without a hydraulic loader / forklift of some kind.
    Still waters run deep.

Blog Entries
    Depending on what you bought ill 3rd or 4th the truck and drop deck trailer (they say keep to them under 55 but can confirm they tow fine at 80-85 assuming the load is balanced. )

Sounds like I’m renting a truck with a trailer and spending a day on the road. Can’t remember the last time I drove a trailer, had to be high school or college, so this aught to be fun.

Do the drop deck trailers lay directly on the ground when lowered? I assume it’s pretty easy to wheel a pallet jack onto them if that is the case.

They are as close to the ground as is practically possible and yes, you should be able to roll a pallet jack on and off with it lowered.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    They are as close to the ground as is practically possible and yes, you should be able to roll a pallet jack on and off with it lowered.
    take a come along and 6' strap with you, in case you need help getting the pallet jack and machine on the trailer.
    Deal with a drop deck at work hauling a Genie lift around. Takes two people or a younger in shape person to load it over the ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Takes two people or a younger in shape person to load it over the ramp.
    This is a key, overlooked point.

If you have difficulties, or strain something on site you're effectively stranded.

Poll the OWWM faithful. If the consensus is "Go get it."
    There should be a checklist of what you must have and where to acquire them.

Your exposure to liability hauling something like this is considerable. A call to your car insurance carrier is in order.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post

Your exposure to liability hauling something like this is considerable. A call to your car insurance carrier is in order.
    That seems a bit alarmist especially considering we don't actually know what it is. Also I'm not sure how this carries any more liability that hauling anything else on a trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Yeeeeaaahhhhh..... no.

Agreed about the come along and straps. Also be prepared to remove parts so you’ll need all your metric sockets and Allen keys and such. Also be prepared for weather - either tarp it or use those big plastic stretch wrap deals. You’ll of course also need straps to secure the machine in place. Harbor Freight is good for those, and come along and lifting straps. And don’t forget snacks for the road and hand sanitizer and your mask!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Agreed about the come along and straps. Also be prepared to remove parts so you’ll need all your metric sockets and Allen keys and such. Also be prepared for weather - either tarp it or use those big plastic stretch wrap deals. You’ll of course also need straps to secure the machine in place. Harbor Freight is good for those, and come along and lifting straps. And don’t forget snacks for the road and hand sanitizer and your mask!
    My dad impressed that on me back in the ‘60’s, showing me a newspaper article.
    Apparently a guy was hauling a heavy piece of equipment on a trailer behind his pickup. I can just imagine him after he finally got it loaded and tied down with some rope, “With all that weight, it’s not going anywhere.”
    Off on Interstate 69 he went, speed limit was 70 mph. All was good, till the deer showed up. Went over the bed, through the cab.

My dad said, “When you secure a load, the question isn’t how do you keep it from moving. The question is how do you get it to stop moving when it’s traveling at 70 mph right at your head.”
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

moved all my machines with a car and trailer up to 2,600 lbs was the heaviest.

Mortise machine got delivered from the dealer for free which was nice. 1,800 lbs and top heavy that one I didnt want to move cause of top heavy and could not lay it down at the time. The Wadkin Bandsaw at about 2,600 lbs I took the top off and lay both sections down. Guy that sold it to me was really mad I did it that way. Told him min not driving six hours with a 9 foot tall bandsaw, it makes no sense.

I dont see relying on other people, every pickup is different in terms of time and adcess and how it unfolds.

I mcgiver stuff and sometimes drill machines on the bases for chains. Way overkill. I like to lift from the bottom and not the top. Back here have mostly had help from one farmer to lift things off the trailer.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 08-17-2020 at 1:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    That seems a bit alarmist especially considering we don't actually know what it is. Also I'm not sure how this carries any more liability that hauling anything else on a trailer.
    "Is there a service i dont know of that can independently handle a 1300+lb machine pickup, or go crate a machine for a national freight carrier to later pick up?"

From the OP.
    I've cleaned up after loads shifted through the cabs of professional haulers. It's a terminal physics lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    My dad said, “When you secure a load, the question isn’t how do you keep it from moving. The question is how do you get it to stop moving when it’s traveling at 70 mph right at your head.”
    It's the Dunning-Kruger effect; those that think accidents only happen to other people don't know how much they don't know.

Some of them are dying to get a Darwin award.

About to move my shop. Some 800# equipment is the max weight. Plan to rent a lift gate truck.

I wasnt thrilled with the idea of driving a trailer in congested areas full of traffic, but i dont think people should be fearful of moving machines. We arent talking big rigs with 40' gooseneck trailers loaded to the gills with 15,000lbs of machinery. I was 95% committed to going to get it this weekend, but someone ended up taking my bid on Uship last night and should hopefully have it safe and sound in my driveway tonight. That is the issue with long distance hauling when you have zilch for equipment. Renting a drop deck trailer and F-250 for 800+ miles and two days was going to be close to $500 once gas and tolls were factored in. For another $50 im getting someone else to do it for me and im not stuck driving 12 hours. This is why i rarely move stuff myself, it never makes financial or rational sense.