Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving Machines Long Distance

Moving Machines Long Distance

Tried to message Darcy about this, since he has a fair amount of experience buying and moving stuff, but it appears he cant receive PMs. Also wanted to let him know about a Bentel and Margedant jointer on Facebook. Anyway, i just purchased a machine about 6+ hours away from me, and the seller doesnt have a forklift/means of moving it onto a trailer. Ive shipped 6 900-1600lb machines across the country in the past, but in each instance the seller was able to bolt it to a pallet, or they had a forklift to lift and load the machine. That left me to wrestle the machine off a trailer on my end with a pallet jack. It wasnt always easy, but it worked. Now, i am facing a situation where the seller doesnt have any means to put the machine on a pallet jack, and he doesnt have a means of loading the machine. This makes it difficult for me to work with a national carrier to pick up and deliver a machine. They are picky about how freight is packaged--understandably. This leaves me to think Uship is my only route, but ive never dealt with a ushipper in the past that was capable of loading and unloading a machine on their own. It always involved the seller on a forklift loading the ushipper and the ushipper watching me unload it on my end. Is there a service i dont know of that can independently handle a 1300+lb machine pickup, or go crate a machine for a national freight carrier to later pick up?

IDK if they are all this way, but our local UPS Store offers crating and shipping services. It has worked well for me in the past.

You might look into a rigging and transfer company if what you want moved is heavy.

What did you buy?
    Still waters run deep.

You can always look for a rigging company. You can hire them to remove the tool and put it on your trailer, have them deliver it to you, or even have them move it into your shop. Obviously the value of the tool in question comes into play and the more you have them do the more it'll cost you.

I wouldnt trust any shipping company to process shipment of a large machine. You can probably track darcy down quickly at 'https://thewoodworkforum DOT com/
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-14-2020 at 8:08 AM. Reason: removed direct link

Those are good suggestions for the rigging company. I will see if i can coordinate them to show up and load it. I will have no problem getting this off a trailer with a pallet jack.

I hear you, Mark. I typically avoid shipping companies when i can. The prices arent bad, but im so wary of damage--specifically, catastrophic fell 6' kind of damage. Also, lift gates arent practical once you get to a certain point. I just prefer low trailers for unloading stuff at my house. With that said, Uship carriers can be very spotty and ill equipped.

Another suggestion for a rigging company - they specialize in moving high-precision and/or high-dollar big and/or heavy equipment. They are expensive, though. On the other hand they are fully insured and know what they are doing.

Only 6 hours? Just go pick it up yourself, why risk it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Agreed.

Or, tell us where it is and maybe someone lives close enough to lend a hand. And if it’s vintage, post on OWWM and you’re sure to get help.

And you should be able to rent a fork lift for a few hours at a reasonable cost. I have done this several times moving milling machines.
    David

I hear you, but I prefer spending some money versus saving a few peanuts to be behind the wheel for 12 hours, probably struggle like hell to load this myself, and then get it off by myself at the end of the day. If i do this myself, i know i am signing myself up for some suck. A full day of suck. My biggest issue isnt the time, it is that i dont have the equipment. I dont own a truck. I dont own a trailer. My wife and i have mid-size SUVs, and the last time i drove a trailer, i was 19 working a landscaping job during summer break. If there was a means for renting a pickup from Enterprise and loading/unloading this bugger from the bed, then i would have no problem making the drive. I think a trailer is the only way to move it without having a forklift on site. Im down for suggestions if people have ideas how to lift 1300-1500lbs into and out of a truck by myself. Oh and finally, id prefer not to do a road trip during Covid if i can help it.

It is an OWWM. I will stop being so coy once the seller gets my payment today and holds the machine. Missed out on a PK 1-2 years ago for $300 in a similar situation.

rent a truck and JLG drop deck trailer.
    Dave Davies

'Nuther vote for moving it yourself. I ship brand-new, crated machinery for a living and shippers still find ways to crunch/drop/spear freight on a pretty regular basis. Good luck whatever you end up doing.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Being out in the country means figuring out how to do things by yourself whenever possible. 1500 lbs is about the max I can handle with my set up. I have a cheap 2 ton engine lift and I made jig that's adjustable for it. It does take a little trial and error to figure out the balance but I've lifted my PM66, 8" jointer, 4 post planer, shaper, and drum sander without any problems. It took a bit of research to make sure it would work. The main eye bolt is rated for .78 tons SWL. The 4 U-bolts are rated for 1100 lbs each. The chains are 2600lbs each. Before I made it I swear I was always needing to lift something and struggling to find a way.

rig.jpg