Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hand Plane - First time buying

Tried that...site will NOT show the photos above what I am posting now....been going through that BS for the past year..and...this IS the only site I will need to size the pictures like that....all others I am on, re-size large photos down to what will fit their site....but not here.

Question was more about what planes I posted...NOT a "Photo Class 101" It is what it is....thanks to this site..
    August Rust Hunt, .JPG

I have things to clean up....have fun....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Tried that...site will NOT show the photos above what I am posting now....been going through that BS for the past year..and...this IS the only site I will need to size the pictures like that....all others I am on, re-size large photos down to what will fit their site....but not here.

Question was more about what planes I posted...NOT a "Photo Class 101" It is what it is....thanks to this site..
    August Rust Hunt, .JPG

I have said it before, but it bears repeating. Steven’s photos look “dungeon-y”. It is his brand. I like it. I read every post that Steven C Newman shares. He wins Post-of-the-Day almost every day in my book. Thanks, Steven.

August Rust Hunt, .JPG

If you use PhotoShop Elements you can choose "Save for Web" when saving and it will minimize the size of the file, while allowing larger pixel images. I have no problems posting pictures that are 1500 pixels across and even larger here on the forum. Look here to see some examples of pictures posted here that are about 1500 pixels across

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries

August Rust Hunt, .JPG

The image is unusually sharp compared to many of your images. One of my best photographic investments was a good tripod almost 50 years ago. Back then my favorite film was Kodachrome 25 ASA.

BTW, these two #4 planes are over 130 years old and still taking decent shavings:

If Shavings Could Talk.jpg

Not as fancy as a shiney new plane, but still able to do the job.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Go to a hardware store and buy whatever is the latest iteration of the Stanley #4, $53.23 at Home Depot. Buy a couple of stones and use these pages and You Tube to tune and sharpen it with a slight camber. When it works like a dream, as mine does, you've learned all you need to know to move on to any of the 64, so far, recommendations here.
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

Yep....THIS site ....

Shows up fine on mine....
    That must not be the case anymore. Everyone else's pics can be opened for more detail.

I'm new here and learning. I'd love to see more detail in your pictures. For example, you posted a pic of the tools you put in the top of your new tool chest. There wasn't enough detail to really see the tools. You sometimes circle a detail for emphasis. But there is no way to really see what you are trying to point out.

Have you tried clicking on the image? Works for me....

And yet,, not a word is said when I do the "Build Threads"? Strange....

FYI: I just went through the size of photo issues a few months back....to where I had to drastically SHRINK what I was trying to post....above a certain pixel count..it would only show up as a series of blue letters and numbers, and IF you did click on them....you were told it was an invalid...whatever.....I post the size I feel will show up on THIS site....have zero issues on all the other sites I go to.....

I have just a hobby level workshop...have not the time, money, or inclination to also run a photo studio just to satisfy 3-4 more people.....out of how many?

Steven, you have managed to make this thread about you. Congratulations!

I usually post photos from an external site. This is just a photo chosen at random, which has been posted here previously ....

That pic is 121 Kb in size.

I have added the photo again, this time from smc’s server.

3FC394D6-150C-49D2-9C00-85D2DA6A3D6C.jpeg

Does that work for everyone? Same quality?

I agree with both Mikes. It is not difficult to take decent photos with a phone, as I do. Part of the process is automatic, since the camera does the work for me. I do take the time to compose the shot, and then I take the time to edit it so that it displays the information in a manner which I believe others will appreciate it. I use Photoshop Elements. Sometime the big picture is best, but often one needs to crop out the background so that detail is presented, as in the above example.

It is not just the artist in me that seeks to get the best out of a photo, as I would the best out of a build in wood, but it is about communication, and this is a reciprocal process: to get the best reception from others, I must give the information in the best manner I can.

Steven, you are good at giving advice. You are just not good at taking it. Please recognise that advice is given on the forum to help one another, and a polite reply is preferred over some snarky defensive growl.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Have you tried clicking on the image? Works for me....

And yet,, not a word is said when I do the "Build Threads"? Strange....

FYI: I just went through the size of photo issues a few months back....to where I had to drastically SHRINK what I was trying to post....above a certain pixel count..it would only show up as a series of blue letters and numbers, and IF you did click on them....you were told it was an invalid...whatever.....I post the size I feel will show up on THIS site....have zero issues on all the other sites I go to.....

I have just a hobby level workshop...have not the time, money, or inclination to also run a photo studio just to satisfy 3-4 more people.....out of how many?
    Don't get your knickers in a bunch. You asked a question and I answered it. If you don't like the answer, put me on ignore and continue doing what you're doing. I read your posts, but don't bother with the images.

I clicked on your image, and it opened in a separate window slightly larger than the thumbnail, as all uploaded images here do. I clicked on it again, as I do with all uploaded images I want to see, and the size didn't change. As an example, I grabbed a random 2MB image from my computer that I took with my cell phone. The only editing I did was to crop the image to get rid of the door and frame that was in the original image. It is 3,024 x 4,032 pixels. If you click on it once, it will open in a larger window. If you click it again, it will open with a black background (on all of my machines). If you click on it again, it will open to its full size. Your images don't change size no matter how many times I click on them after the first click.

37559653491_742940d7eb_o.jpg

I don't have any idea why your uploading is different than mine. I use any of five computers at home, which includes two Mac laptops, one iMac, and two Win10 laptops. They all behave the same on SMC when it comes to uploading and viewing images.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Victor,

If you are confused now, wait for this thread to run for a few days .
    Ken, you are a prognosticator. I didn't log into the creek for one day, and this is already 4 pages long. I guess I'll get my popcorn ready for the reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Does that work for everyone? Same quality?
    Wow, this thread went a bit off into the weeds...

But to answer the question, actually this particular post (of yours) is weird. The inline image is high quality. When I click on the SMC thumbnail image it pops up a bigger image, which seems to be the same size as the inline pic (though it appears of lower quality... but could be just that the background is now grey vs white and affecting my perception).

However, when I click it again, the "zoomed" image is actually smaller. Really strange. For my own posts, I don't edit the photos with desktop software, I take them on my phone, they automatically get uploaded to my Dropbox Camera Uploads, which are now "on" my PC. For posting, I use the "insert image" button from the advanced editor to put in photos.

When I click on my post thumbnails I get a bigger image, clicking again yields the exact same size. It does all seem inconsistent.

PS I've learned to hold my phone in one orientation only when I take pics I intend to upload here so they don't show up sideways. I have no interest in editing things before posting. (I just try to take a good picture up front, and call it a day).

PPS Some people's photos are the exact same size though this click progression (Stephen's being in that group). Thumbnail -> Click on it -> Click again (all same size/resolution).

PPPS (I wish the forum software would get updated as I think VBB is some of the issue).

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Price Jr View Post
    Hi David,
    I think you asked the perfect question, since I didn't explain this. A majority of my work will be done on Table saw, Jointer, Planer. I'm looking to use hand planes to extend my ability with the jointer, and probably 90% of what I will be doing is cleanup and assembly prep on the work pieces.

I will start here. There are plenty of power tools you already own which makes the job a lot faster. If I was to work with this setup I will go with the following tools

1) Block plane. Either power or purist this does not fail. I own the DX 60 and a Luban Low Angle block plane. I would say that either choices will not fail you. Just that Veritas has better steel for their blades.
    2) Stanley #4 or Veritas BUS. Veritas has all the blade configuration to managed very stubborn wood here.
    3) If you do go with Veritas bevel up go for the Low Angle Jack plane. Will be an excellent choice for it versatility.

I would skip the Jointer as your power tools does very well or not specialize tools like the Scrub plane. Plow planes are another item which you can get as I do not see any router you are having on the list.

4) Plow planes from Veritas or old Stanley like 45,50 or 55
    5) Stanley 71 or Veritas/LN router planes.

The list goes on and on. Really depends on your choice and usage.

Just a quick update. I've gone ahead and purchased a #4 from ebay. I've got it cleaned up, now trying to get a camber on the blade, it cuts well enough, but leaves a line/ridge. Anyway, Thanks for all the help. I've got to go read the sharpening posts now...

Originally came like this:Original01.jpg
    Cleaned up to this : Cleaned01.jpgCleaned02.jpg

14. Quote Originally Posted by Victor Price Jr View Post
    it cuts well enough, but leaves a line/ridge.
    There must be a dent somewhere, positive or negative, on the blade or the sole. Most often a dent in the blade. Nails and sand are the usual suspects.

The corners can leave marks on heavy cuts too.

Nice restauration anyway, have fun o/
    Last edited by Jerome Andrieux; 08-18-2020 at 5:35 PM. Reason: S

Very nice cleanup on the #4 Victor. As Jerome says, has to be something on the iron and a close looksee should show something. This is when a powered grinder is nice to have and you can just take an 1/8" off the front edge of the iron and re sharpen. Once that is fixed, I believe that the #4 is a very good starting point and will be a useful addition to your tool kit. Show us some "curlies" when you can.
    David