Thread: Really Neanderthal, Really Clever, Really about actually using tools

Really Neanderthal, Really Clever, Really about actually using tools

I laid out a design I liked for storing my chisels on the bench that was removable and was halfway through prepping some stock when I realized that the larger one's would require holes that would allow them to fall right through to the floor! I don't like holders with leather that wears or holders with wood catches that must be turned. I wanted a "holster" that required minimal work to make and use.

This one is the one and soon will grace my bench: https://youtu.be/GvpZnkpNNzY
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

That was a little painful to watch, but the final result is attractive.

Bill, mine is essentially the same design, but attached to the wall behind the bench. A variation of the box construction for interest ...

The slot continues the full length, and is home to gauges and similar tools.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mine is incorporated into the tool tray that sits at the head (opposite the end vise side) of my bench. It is basically the same thing, but the holes go all the way through, which is fully intentional. If they don’t go all the way through, then they will fill up with debris that would be very difficult to get out. It’s fairly tall so the edges of the chisels don’t stick out below, but other tools like backsaws and the combo square do.
    toolrack.jpg
    toolrackbottom.jpg

Hmm good ideas by all. I took a scrap about 12"l ,x 3" w x 1" thick. Marked a line about 1.5" all the length wise down the face. Measured ferrule thickness, used wood augers and bored appropriate sized holes and then sawed two lines to meet the edges of circles. Sawed lines looked like this =o
    Chisels cannot fall out, blades are fully exposed so I can easily see each size and it's mounted on the wall directly above and behind my bench.

Quote Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
    Mine is incorporated into the tool tray that sits at the head (opposite the end vise side) of my bench. It is basically the same thing, but the holes go all the way through, which is fully intentional. If they don’t go all the way through, then they will fill up with debris that would be very difficult to get out. It’s fairly tall so the edges of the chisels don’t stick out below, but other tools like backsaws and the combo square do.
    toolrack.jpg
    toolrackbottom.jpg
    Chris I like you solution here and may have to copy it. Especially for the backsaws.

I notice your bench is away from the wall. I thought this was a YouTube kind of thing. Is there much benefit to working from both sides? It sure looks like a long reach to your tools if you're working from the vise side.

Richard, if you are referring to my bench ... generally it is positioned about 12" from the wall. I can lean over and reach tools without any difficulty.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 08-14-2020 at 11:18 AM.

Thanks Derek, yes I was talking about your bench.

These stay in the drawer most of the time but come out as a set.
    Chisels in Drawer.jpg Chisels.jpg