Thread: How can I bend this wood?

Blog Entries

How can I bend this wood?

As some of you know I like to make models. I am currently making a Conestoga wagon.IMG_20200813_044122.jpg
    As you can see there are supports for what would be a canvas cover for the wagon. The supports themselves are 1/8" thick and 1/4" wide and basically shaped like the letter U. The U , at the bottom open part, is about 5" wide and about 5" in height. Can anyone suggest how to bend this wood into the required U? I tried just soaking the pieces but when I tried to bend them they broke. I don't have a steamer .
    Thanks
    Dennis

Search : Basket making material.

It's basically a group if handles.

Sounds like a good excuse to buy or make yourself a steamer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post

Thanks for a great idea, I just ordered some☺
    Tis website is amazing, I never would have thought of that.
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    You could try getting some "green" wood of the same type. If you ca split the wood while green it will follow the grain and bend more easily. You could also try bending some hickory.

Sometimes a steel backer pulled along the outside of the bend will prevent splitting and cracking.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I'd make them as a bent lamination, using standard sliced veneer as the basic material. It is about .02" thick, so six layers would get you an eighth thick. I'd make the lamination wider than I need, and trim it to width after.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 08-13-2020 at 9:14 AM.

Try a heat gun. I would cut a form to bend around. Clamp one side and start heating while applying some force. Work your way up the strip. I have used this method for cedar strip kayaks and on a 5" wide piece of 1/4" thick oak to form a curved corner. Stay far enough away that you don't burn the wood.

Boil them in a pot of water fully submerged under a brick. Find a tree with the right size branches and bend the branch to shape while it is still attached and alive. You can bend it with a loop of wire or rubber strapping Increase the bend every day for a week or two until it looks right. then cut it off the tree and debark it and bend it to final shape as it dries. Isn't Bonsai fun?
    Bill D

For some reason I was gifted an egg poaching pot and tray when I bought my house. Never had any use for it, but its Revere Ware ... can't throw it out.

I used it to steam some saw cut 'veneers' to bend them. Worked half decent I think.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post

Jim
    Here is the Conestoga wagon using your excellent idea for the supports, thanks againIMG_20200818_191539.jpg
    Dennis

Google "engels coach shop steam bending". This guy is a real craftsman, I find it fascinating how he makes wagon wheels.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pPKUgpn0CI
    Last edited by Mike Monroe; 08-19-2020 at 11:15 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Sounds like a good excuse to buy or make yourself a steamer.
    ive had a wallpaper steamer for a long time. I’ve never used it to steam bend but that should work, right?
    you ought to be able to pick one of those off CL for cheap.