Thread: I decided I would Save money and make my own wooden Shoulder plane.

I decided I would Save money and make my own wooden Shoulder plane.

Like most wood workers I’ve spent a butt load of money over the years on tools and felt it was time to give back and make one for myself, and in the process I figured what the heck I’d film it too. So here is my little video on how I made a wooden shoulder plane out of black walnut and curly maple, it works great and has made me realize its not that hard to make your own tools.
    Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/dg1CDpOOCk4

Gopher Woodshop, where wood goes to meet its maker.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Vendryes; 08-13-2020 at 4:50 AM.

Hi Mike. Welcome to SMC. Glad you have joined us!

That's a nice tool. Many of us are like you and find that we enjoy making tools and using them to make things. For some, the making of tools can become an actual business - for example, Steve Voight makes superb planes and Ron Bontz makes wonderful saws. And there's an Aussie (Derek Cohen) who's tools are so pretty and functtional that he could be selling them if he wanted.

If you enjoy hand tools, be sure to come visit us in the Neanderthal forum here on SMC.

Enjoy!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Nice looking plane. In the photo it appears that the cutting edge of the iron has the corner toward the the viewer nicked off. Is that actually the case or just an optical delusion?

I've made two identical small chamfering planes out of wood. One I kept and use frequently to take off the sharp edge of finished boards. The other I gave to a friend many years ago.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-13-2020 at 4:40 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

That’s cool Fred, I’ll take you up on that, lol

Hey Lee, thanks dude, probably my bad photograph.
    I need a chamfering plane, Sounds like it was a good project?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Vendryes View Post
    Hey Lee, thanks dude, probably my bad photograph.
    I need a chamfering plane, Sounds like it was a good project?
    It was in Wood Magazine #162 from April/May 2005.
    plane 003.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-14-2020 at 8:56 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Nice video and beautiful plane. Thanks for posting.