Thread: Question for using green wood for turning and insects

Question for using green wood for turning and insects

Hi,

am new for doing "green" turning. I've picked up some freshly cut logs from a storm and have sealed the ends with a wood sealant. All the logs still have bark on them (and some moss). I've noticed that there's been ants crawling on the logs still.

Does anyone ever treat the logs the collect for wood turning with any insecticide? I am not bringing any of these into our house due to the ants.

Appreciate your expertise on this.

thanks

'mark

Some tree sap is sweet (birch, maple, sweet gum/gum amber, etc.) and it attracts ants. I suspect that once the moisture content of the wood drops enough the ants will lose interest in it. BUT, if you have big black carpenter ants, I'd suggest using an insecticide. I think that boric acid has low toxicity - - but I'm not an expert at that.

A funny situation: I was turning a nice piece of gum amber that had a bunch of insect holes. It appeared dry. I filled the holes and put a finish on it. Then I put it aside and stacked it on top of another piece. I put a piece of paper towel between the two pieces. After a period of time, I looked at the gum amber piece and noticed the paper towel had a hole in it. And the hole matched the new hole in the piece. Oops. In retrospect, I probably should have put the piece in the microwave before finishing it.

Quote Originally Posted by mark ahlenius View Post
    Hi,

am new for doing "green" turning. I've picked up some freshly cut logs from a storm and have sealed the ends with a wood sealant. All the logs still have bark on them (and some moss). I've noticed that there's been ants crawling on the logs still.

Does anyone ever treat the logs the collect for wood turning with any insecticide? I am not bringing any of these into our house due to the ants.

Appreciate your expertise on this.

thanks

'mark
    I brush off ants crawling on the surface. Carpenter ants in voids at the sawmill, common in the centers of some logs, get a serious dose of something to kill them. It may not be environmentally responsible but pouring in a little gasoline from the can that powers the mill works instantly.

If the bark is loose I try to remove it first with a hatchet or chainsaw. Or I cut away the bark when processing into turning blanks and burn the scrap. Insects that live under half-rotted bark won't reinfest wood but if you dislike bugs you can debark outside.

Be far more concerned about tiny holes that may indicate powder post beetles inside. When I cut turning blanks from wood and expose insect holes I store them in a tightly lidded tub in a shed for a few months. If I find PPBs, dead or alive, in the bottom of the tub I either burn the wood or if it looks worth keeping (wood with insect holes can be fantastic) I coat with borate-based PPB killer and store the tub in a shed for a few years. And beetles that emerge will be poisoned before the wood can be reinfested. A bonus - wet wood stored in a tight container sometimes spalts nicely!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Some tree sap is sweet (birch, maple, sweet gum/gum amber, etc.) and it attracts ants. I suspect that once the moisture content of the wood drops enough the ants will lose interest in it. BUT, if you have big black carpenter ants, I'd suggest using an insecticide. I think that boric acid has low toxicity - - but I'm not an expert at that.

A funny situation: I was turning a nice piece of gum amber that had a bunch of insect holes. It appeared dry. I filled the holes and put a finish on it. Then I put it aside and stacked it on top of another piece. I put a piece of paper towel between the two pieces. After a period of time, I looked at the gum amber piece and noticed the paper towel had a hole in it. And the hole matched the new hole in the piece. Oops. In retrospect, I probably should have put the piece in the microwave before finishing it.

- Thanks much for the info.

'mark

Thank you for your suggestions/help.

'mark