Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If money were no object , How big of a woodworking shop would you build ?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Jones View Post
    If you had one of these huge commercial size shops with all the goodies, would you do more quality projects? Would you produce more and get more satisfaction from your hobby? I can see where a commercial shop would need a lot more room. Pretty soon you are producing near factory furniture and have employees doing the work while your watching those dovetail videos. Dreams are nice but reality maybe not so much.
    I'm sure you're right Charley. Still a nice dream though.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I'm actually pretty happy with my little 14x24 shop. I expand into the adjacent car garage at times for assembly or finishing, however. I have to move tools around regularly but I build some good sized cabinets and furniture. My current project is a 7 foot built in cabinet for my great room, for instance. I had to do it in stages but I'm retired and doing this as a hobby so breaks are not all bad. I've also made several queen sized beds and a bunk bed in my little shop. I bump into my 8 foot ceiling and get tired at times about having to move the planner again to use the track saw to cut up a full sheet of plywood. But I've worked without a dedicated space and even a 14x24 dedicated space is great compared to sharing a garage with cars. A smaller space also makes me think more seriously before getting more tools. I'm going to add a bandsaw but that will probably be the last big tool. I might change out my planner and jointer, however. But I probably won't.

I am still discovering the way I want to do things, however. I like my SawStop, I like my track saw (a DeWalt), I like my Domino XL. I like my old Craftsman drill press. I wouldn't mind a sliding miter saw but I am unimpressed by the space required and the deflection of current models. So I use a 12 inch CMS. I plan to sell my hollow chisel mortiser - not because it doesn't work but because the Domino works better. I like my HF half blind dovetail jig with the Grizzly template guide I changed it to. I have a second HF dovetail jig stripped down for making domino drawer joints - which I prefer in plywood.

For me bigger isn't better, necessarily. I like finding cheap tools that work well but, as you can tell from my list, I have some fairly expensive tools too. If they work enough better, they can be nice too. It takes me awhile to get new tools integrated into my shop. I would be a bit lost in a big new shop full of new tools. I think it would take me awhile to get comfortable.

There are a few versions I could think of and to keep it realistic (as in not the size of the research laboratory I used to work in), I'd say something like the aesthetics of Ben Thresher's shop but maybe half again larger, with the attached blacksmith's shop, but also an attached machine shop with WWII vintage machines (with DROs) and a Bridgeport. Then there would be a spray booth (or two -- one for water and another for solvent) in the dedicated finishing room, as well as climate controlled lumber storage, I am not opposed to a loading dock and forklift also.

Naturally we would need the additional amenities of a 25 x 50 greenhouse, sound insulated music studio, and "break" room, with TV, Lazyboy, fridge, sink, etc.

I probably would keep a fair number of machines that I already have, and I definitely don't need many more hand tools, but since 3 phase power would be available (from the hydro generator powered by the mill pond) I would have a wide belt platen Timesaver and some other goodies.

I would definitely be a better woodworker, because if I had all that, I would definitely be independent wealthy and have much more available shop time to get better and stay in shape and practice

I do woodworking and machine work strictly for my own satisfaction. I'm about to retire, and have been thinking a lot about improving my shop {which right now is 14' X 24' and relatively low ceiling). I could afford pretty much whatever I want in building and equipment, as long as I stay in the low to mid six figures. Right now I'm thinking about 600 ft^2 additional space, and an open sided shed for air drying wood.

That's what I'm thinking, but I know myself well enough to know I'll probably build less than that. I've lived my entire adult life in a 1000 ft^2 home, where we raised 2 kids, home-schooled them, and accomodated my wife's weaving studio and my "office" (I've worked out of my home, modulo a lot of travel, for decades). I kinda like compact spaces.

My shop is about the size of Jim’s. I am in the process of adding a four foot toit. That is a big deal for me. Like him I have done a lot of projects in this little shop and finally have my machines arranged for max efficiently. I to have used my garage for an assembly room. I just did a king bed and made the sub assemblies in the shop and put the whole thing together in the garage. It makes you a bit more careful if you can’t assemble as you go. I am a retired hobbyist but I do a commission here and there. My latest client wanted to introduce me to some designers but I declined because I really like retired. Walking into the shop always brings a smile. kinda like the church does.
    Last edited by Charlie Jones; 08-13-2020 at 8:49 PM.
    Charlie Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Friend’s 1-man shop on 7th Ave just above 23rd Street. Not shown in that photo are a Martin slider, thicknesser and a Striebig Compact.
    I would imagine the cost to lease that much space in Manhattan would be about the price of a nice cabinet saw every month. Good for him, though. Very cool shop

I think something about the size of a two car garage would be fine. I'd like room for a bigger bench plus an assembly table, and the ability to keep my table saw at the ready. My small basement shop has very limited space and limited power. Nearly everything is on wheels so it can be pulled out and used, then stowed.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Curry View Post
    I would imagine the cost to lease that much space in Manhattan would be about the price of a nice cabinet saw every month. Good for him, though. Very cool shop
    True, although if the individual has had the space for a very long time, it may still be way below "market rent" for that area which is uber-high I'm sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have about 700 sq ft now, and with the exception of material storage, it is adequate. I figure 1000 sq ft would be plenty, as I still would prefer the "biggie" tools stationary and the remainder mobile for use as needed. I like a compact shop with lots of cabinets and great lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Curry View Post
    He actually owns that floor in the building, bought long ago when real estate wasn’t so outrageously high. Leasing something comparable below 42nd street would be in the range of a new Martin slider every month.

My shop is the size of 2 double garages in tandem, plus a single-car garage sized storage room attached. And it is way small for the number of machines I have and for some of the projects I take on. Of course it includes metal working machinery (lathe, mill, bandsaws, tube bender, etc) and welding equipment as well as woodworking. Some of my projects require that I move most of the machines into a cluster so I have room to work on the assembly.

Ideally a large airplane hangar should be adequate.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

2-3 car garage, plus a finishing room, plus material storage. Big enough to walk around freely. Have an assembly area for bigger furniture projects. 1/2 bath. Small enough that it wouldn't seem wasteful with climate control. I'm full in this two car garage. Anymore stuff and I won't be able to walk around. Hopefully no more radial arm saws mysteriously appear in here.

I would have a bigger wood shed full of my favorite boards. I don’t need a bigger shop I almost have all my quest machines.
    I could never have enough wood to choose from.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martinn View Post
    Suppose money were no object, and you could afford to build your DREAM WOODWORKING SHOP , and have the best of tools that money could buy! LOL What would your shop look like ???
    If money were no object, I might just buy our local Woodcraft store. All the tools I could ever want in rotating stock; a large, clean, and well-lit shop; seminars by experts IN MY SHOP; tool demos for all kinds of exotic gear; plus a diverse parade of respectful and interesting visitors with shared interests.

Not sure how a guy could go wrong with that setup.

Something that really helps in a small shop is to practice a hobbyist version of Lean Manufacturing. Put everything back in its place. Store everything where you can find it and get rid of leftover when you finish a project. The last is hardest for me. I am at about 80 percent.
    Charlie Jones