Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edge trimming but on the top not the side, what is this called?

post pics for us

I will once I get there. i'm just preparing things now as i know this edge treatment will come up.

I've never used a hand plane (crazy right?). i'm not sure if this task is the right time to try it out.

I recently did this same procedure. I thought I would use a router but then decided that a handplane would be faster and easier. The process was indeed easy and the results were perfect. If you end up going this route, put some pencil marks on the MDF adjacent to the edging. It can be difficult to see when you're starting to cut the smooth surface of the MDF.

While researching the best way to do this with a router, I came across a recommendation that said to use a bowl bit because it gradually digs into the cut and reduces tearout. I have not tried this, but it sounds reasonable.

My preference for flush trimming critical pieces is a cabinet scraper, such as is available from Lee Valley.
    I find I have much better control, and can make the edging perfectly flush with the substrate, without the worry that the router bit or plane blade will gouge the work piece.
    Router bits and hand planes do work quite well, but for me, I just feel the cabinet scraper is the best tool for precision results.
    That is, as long as there aren't hundreds of edges to trim.....

Another option, if you've got a lot to do, is the Festool MFK700 router. I've never used it but it is designed for this exact application. I has a special base that lets you run the router horizontally to flush trim the edging. Here is a more in-depth explanation:

https://youtu.be/nB9WhNdgP0k?t=421

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    Another option, if you've got a lot to do, is the Festool MFK700 router. I've never used it but it is designed for this exact application. I has a special base that lets you run the router horizontally to flush trim the edging. Here is a more in-depth explanation:

https://youtu.be/nB9WhNdgP0k?t=421
    I have one of these and use it most of the time for trimming my edge banding. You have to make sure the over hang, of the edge banding is not more than about 1/8", otherwise it gets a little awkward to use with the base. It also will only accept a 5/8" just length router bit, which rules out making a 3/4" edge banding strip, without the base, which a guy on Youtube demonstrates how to do (Half Inch Shy, I think, is his Youtube channel).

I also has a choice of base that allows for a 90 degree cut, as an option, but comes with an 89 degree base (I think that's the angle), so it taper the edge banding. Not visible to the eye, but Festool did it that way for a reason.

I should add, it's a nice tool, as are most Festool products, but it's not a game changer by any means.
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 08-13-2020 at 7:32 PM.