Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edge trimming but on the top not the side, what is this called?

Edge trimming but on the top not the side, what is this called?

i'm wrapping my torsion box in solid wood, I was thinking of having it sit proud to the top of the table so I can trim it perfectly flat with the table. What is this cut/process called? Is it still edge banding?
    edge banding.jpg

also, WHAT BIT SHOULD I USE?

a straight bit like this
    straight bit.jpg
    or some kind of flat bottoming bit like this?
    dishcut bit.jpg

or this kind?
    45560-bottom-cleaning-spoilboard-med-1.jpg
    Last edited by Jon Steffen; 08-12-2020 at 9:53 AM.

The process is trimming or flushing off the edgebanding. Any of those bits will work. Climbcutting (carefully) will prevent spelching.

I'd be using a flush trim bit -- the kind with a bearing at the tip. In your pic above, the axis of the bit is horizontal. I'd stand the torsion box on one edge, so the router rests on the other edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I'd be using a flush trim bit -- the kind with a bearing at the tip. In your pic above, the axis of the bit is horizontal. I'd stand the torsion box on one edge, so the router rests on the other edge.
    This is how I used to do it before I bought a dedicated tool. Be very careful holding the router vertically as any wiggle will show on the top face. for a critical project I made an aux fence for the router to ensure it was referenced to the top of the table or in your case bench.

There’s no need for a router. If you keep it proud a 3/32 or less use a file to level it. At the end of the file wrap some tape so you don’t scuff up your Mdf. I use blue tape for stuff like this but what ever tape you can find will work.
    Aj

I'd just use a plane. I'd be done before I setup a router to do it safely
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    I made my own addition to a commercial teardrop plate. I just use a straight bit. You could certainly use tempered hardboard or MDF instead of plastics.

Router Flush Trim 009.jpg

It is easy to set the height. Just rest the router on a flat surface and lower the bit until it just touches the surface.

Router Flush Trim 4.jpg

Dust collection help keep spoil from getting "run over" while you are moving the router along which can result in a spoiled edge.

Mil DC.JPG
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've used a little lipper for similarly trimming solid edge banding, which does make it easier to avoid tipping the router when horizontal.

https://www.fastcap.com/product/little-lipper

Charles beat me to it.

Cheap and cheerful, that lipper.

Thanks for posting about the Little Lipper - haven’t seen that before. Fast Cap has some great products, I have a few and have been happy with them.

I usually do that on the shaper, but of course this may well be the Rolls Royce option: https://produkte.mafell.de/en/mortis...router-kf-1000

B

Thank you on that Little Lipper info, simple, but ingenuous.

I use a Festool MK700 router as my edge band trimmer, but it's not always the best tool. Then I go to my Bosch palm router, so this Little Lipper will be a great addition for that.

If I were doing production work, I'd buy a lipping planer. But that makes the Mafell look cheap
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

nice. Think i'll buy a little lipper and practice a few times before I use it on my torsion box project.

big shops use a power planer set up for that. Either custom made from an existing manufacturer or like this. if the one shown above is a router bit working off the outside edge id have no interest in a router bit tool. The lipping tool will do small or a big honking solid edge.

You are doing one top or a quantity? a hand plane is fine if its not production stuff.

1.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 08-12-2020 at 9:40 PM.