Thread: Unhandled Tool Storage Ideas Wanted

Unhandled Tool Storage Ideas Wanted

I've shifted most of my turning tools to utilize removable handles, really liking the Robust Collet system. Before this i stored all my tools on the wall and it worked well for handled gouges, see pic. I'm looking for ideas on how to store unhandled tools, as the racks I have on the wall now don't make good use of space for unhandled tools.

Any thoughts, pics, or suggestions welcome.

IMG_0196.jpg

Well I still use my racks, but make handles for my removal tools. I make my inserts from aluminum found on Ebay. I turn them with HSS on my mini lathe. I can make 9 inserts for about $20.00. Y?ou can also purchase inserts.

638240F3-5FA5-4756-A57F-7F8B344BDD36_1_201_a.jpg
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I use a rack, similar to what you have except the hole sizes are smaller and closer together. I have collet adapters on many of mine to fit my 5/8" Jimmy Clewes quick release handles. To keep from making the holes real big for the collet adapters I insert from the bottom and swing in onto the lower shelf, which has a little stop ledge to keep them from falling off. My holes are 3/4" diameter on 3/4" centers or so, which works for all but the largest of skews and scrapers.

What works for me

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heely View Post
    I've shifted most of my turning tools to utilize removable handles, really liking the Robust Collet system. ...I'm looking for ideas on how to store unhandled tools, as the racks I have on the wall now don't make good use of space for unhandled tools.
    Paul,

Most of my tools now are unhandled. I don't like the cost and limitations of most collet systems so I make my own tool adapters and handles, the problem of storing unhandled tools is the same.

I use what is the perfect solution for me. I have a work bench immediately behind where I stand at my primary lathe so I can reach it with a simple turn. Under the workbench I built three drawers and two shelves. The drawers are shallow, about 2" deep. These, for me, are perfect for storing tools wiithout handles. The shallow drawers make it easy to locate the exact tool I want.

In this drawer I store a variety of gouges, skews, and Hunter carbide tools without handles. I make protectors from clear plastic tubing for vulnerable cutting edges. There is also room for the taper shank drill bits I use the most and some accessories in this drawer.

tool_drawer_unhandled.jpg

In other drawers I keep calipers, compasses, markers, and other small tools.

tool_drawers.jpg

The shelves below have often-accessed things like dust masks, paper towels, Renaissance wax, anchor seal, spare dust masks.

Two steps to my right is a mechanic's toolbox with other, smaller shallow drawers for things like small measuring tools, cheap vernier calipers, diamond paddle hones, live centers, small hand saws, and a bunch of other things I use often. Two shallow open shelves in the center of this stack keep additional handled and unhandled tools close - negative rake scrapers, special scrapers, parting tools, bedan, texturing tools, and overflow for tools I access less often. All these are laid flat with the points out so I don't have to guess which is which.

Shelves above keep bulky supplies, tools, and jigs less frequently used but readily accessed.

Sorry, I don't have close-up pictures of this but I could take some if you are interested. This is an overall picture of the turning "alcove" showing the work bench and general layout, in use by a 2-student class. It does show the mechanic's toolbox on top of the "chuck" cabinet in the background. The two shallow shelves mentioned above are sandwiched between. (These are so handy I plan to rebuild them to add more shallow shelves and raise the toolbox some.)

WVR_IMG_5458.jpg

Adjacent to that stack of is a wall rack with tools with handles and a handy place for large handles, all stored horizontally so I can see at a glance what is what. An additional rack under the workbench keeps a variety of large bowl gouges, those I rarely but don't want to hide away where I might forget about them.

This is my 4th iteration of lathe tool storage over 20 years. Works for me.

JKJ

Thank you all for your ideas. I'm thinking a tool chest of some sort will fit my needs nicely. Also like the idea of using some clear tubing to protect the cutting edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heely View Post
    Thank you all for your ideas. I'm thinking a tool chest of some sort will fit my needs nicely. Also like the idea of using some clear tubing to protect the cutting edges.
    I went to the hardware store years ago and bought a 4' of every size of clear plastic cubing they carried. Besides the tool end protectors, I've used pieces in numerous places in the shop and around the farm.

I used to use a propane torch a heat one end of a tool protector piece to near melting temperature then squeezed it together with pliers to close it off. I still use these on a couple of tools but mostly I just find a diameter that fits snugly enough on the end to keep it from falling off. With these end protectors I can fill up a carrying case with loose tools to take to a demo and not worry about dinging edges.

If I didn't already have the variety of tool boxes and cabinets I use I'd consider buying one of the roll-around mechanics tool boxes from HD or such. (I have 4 of these in my shop for other tools, fasteners, etc.) Some of the drawers are fairly shallow and the deeper drawers could hold respirators, chucks, and larger tools. I would probably build a open-shelf layer to go under the upper tool box for several shallow "cubby" shelves to hold a variety of tool since I find that so handy and quick to access.

JKJ