Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose new ROS-please

I think it's probably time to just lock this thread
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Before they do, let me make my request once again.

I suggest a simple way to distinguish hobbyists from professionals. It could be as simple as another line under the 'member' or 'contributor' designation.

This would allow both groups to not waste time getting involved in a simple hobbyist question, or a professional discussion.

Another thing to consider is having a 'Pro's Corner', for involved discussions.

OR: Just tell me to get off my soapbox.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 08-18-2020 at 1:09 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

You didn't read the original posters question, which enumerated a very specific conditional requirement. One that isn't very common in consumer grade tools, as operation without vibration and improved ergonomics are not generally a concern in that demographic.

That is why there was the recommendation for tools that are generally sold at tool supply places.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    If you contact the Lee Valley site, you will get specificity. Rob Lee often responds to questions.

I wasn't following this thread but read it this morning. The AirVantage people are not far from my house - I drive by it when I go to my niece's place. I'll stop by and look at them next time I pass their place. Thanks for the reference - I had not heard of them before.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    You didn't read the original posters question, which enumerated a very specific conditional requirement. One that isn't very common in consumer grade tools, as operation without vibration and improved ergonomics are not generally a concern in that demographic.

That is why there was the recommendation for tools that are generally sold at tool supply places.
    This was what I was just going to point out. The OP had specific requirements.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy D Jones View Post
    Wow, how did we get off on this exit to Snobbyville?

Almost all of my cordless tools, and my router, (all Milwaukee) were purchased at Home Depot. They are all excellent tools. For me. Just be cause these tools have a bigger market, doesn't mean they are inferior, or worse, unsuitable, for the rest of us.

This thread seems to have turned into "Who can justify spending more for a power tool than anyone else?" I'm sure those choices are good ones, but not necessarily the best ones for all members here, especially for those that don't make a living with their woodworking, yet strive to do the best work they can, within their respective budgets.

-- Andy - Arlington TX
    I don't think it's in "Snobbyville", people are just expressing their valid opinions & experience. It's just a fact that there are places that have better quality choices than the big box retailers. Nobody said that you can't get good stuff there. If it meets your needs, that's great.

And as far as justification for spending more money, my point was that I can get better pricing elsewhere, which is why I don't buy power tools there.

I don't make my living, or any earnings, from woodworking. That's why I have to get the most bang for my buck.

Everybody makes their own choices depending on a set of factors. For me the edge and vibration are at the very top. I have wrist and hand issues and the Festool works great for my needs. With a sander you have to get it in your hand and try it.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    If you contact the Lee Valley site, you will get specificity. Rob Lee often responds to questions.

Enough with the Lee Valley sales pitches already !

You try and steer everyone their way on practically every thread you comment in. Including this one a while back. Lisa has already made her choice and has the sander in hand. ANd much faster than Rob & Co. could have delivered to her.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 08-19-2020 at 11:52 AM.

I'm a hobbyist.

When someone asks about a tool, although some of the suggestions might not exactly meet the needs of the OP, I like to see diversity and options that are available for this type of tool, regardless of price.

Many times, I'm not even aware some of these tools or brands exist. This lets me do a bit of research and then make a decision if this meets my needs or budget.

So although many of the responses probably don't meet or target the OP, it does help broaden the knowledge of many of us on this forum.

Thank you all.

P.S. I have PC and Makita (big box sanders). I don't think I've used any of these since I bought a couple of Festool sanders.

I actually did post with regards to the customers needs, fatigue. Hence my contribution to (as painful as it is) spend a little more and be done with it. As I said to you in a past post, had these sanders been 500-600 dollars in the past I would never have made such a suggestion. But at 319, they are a considerable option.
    Well..........................not really. $319 is more that $200. So, while your sander may be good and wonderful, it didn't meet Lisa's criteria. By that same token I could make a case that the Mirka on which your sander was copied, uh, I mean based would be a considerable option too. It's just a bit more money than yours, from the company that designed the product in the first place.

And what If Lisa didn't like the ergonomics that you do so much? Not everyone cottons to the paddle switch design or likes a tail heavy sander. Does AA offer a no question money back guarantee like festool, bosch, dewalt ? What is AA's warranty? They can't even communicate something as simple as that with customers because their website is lacking. It might be a good option for some folks, just not the person who started this discussion.

And if you don't believe me - why don't you ask her ?
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 08-19-2020 at 12:16 PM. Reason: puncuation

My favorite sander does not meet the OP's spec, it is a Bosch DEVS1250 which is a handfull for even my extra large hands. It is best used two handed and with two hands, a smaller person could use it easily, I think. The reason I like it is it is fast. It has a "turbo" mode that removes material very quickly and even in the ROM it is fast due to a 5mm orbit (working from memory, might be 5/32 or something, point is it is bigger than most). While trying to check my memory on the stroke, I discovered there is now a 5 inch version of this sander : https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Power-T...829231656&th=1. I do not remember the type of 5 inch paper she has but it might be an option but I think it might exceed her cost target a little too, both Boschs are close to $300.

But my main reason to post is to suggest the OP consider what she needs to do and review the detailed specs for sanders to arrive at her choice. I also have a little DeWalt 5 inch that I sometimes use when I am not trying to remove material quickly, like to scuf poly before another coat. It has about half the orbit diameter of the Bosch and no turbo mode so it is a bit painful to use to sand a large project. But I wouldn't want to use the big Bosch to scuf poly. It is too aggressive. Orbit diameter is a big deal in determining the aggressiveness of the sander in removing material. Bit orbit means faster material removal.

My other tip is with respect to the Bosch I like which is somewhat similar to Festool's Rotex. I find it removes material MUCH quicker on the side with the motor (were the weight is). I took more than I wanted off a drawer side trying to make the sander remove material on the other side of the sander ignoring what it was doing on the motor side. In turbo mode, it removes material about as fast as a belt sander - so you need to respect that and be aware it isn't even across the pad.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I'm a hobbyist.

When someone asks about a tool, although some of the suggestions might not exactly meet the needs of the OP, I like to see diversity and options that are available for this type of tool, regardless of price.

Many times, I'm not even aware some of these tools or brands exist. This lets me do a bit of research and then make a decision if this meets my needs or budget.

So although many of the responses probably don't meet or target the OP, it does help broaden the knowledge of many of us on this forum.

Thank you all.
    These are my feelings, exactly. I'm glad Mark pointed out the AirVantage. I had never heard of it but I'll look into it now.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

And to add insult to snobbery, now we have a suggestion to visually segregate the unwashed from the washed...

I'm pretty good at reading subject or the first post or two to figure out if a thread is one I want to finish reading, or even respond to, without stars, crosses, crescents or other badges to guide me.

I believe we all have plenty we can learn from one another on this forum. We just need to recognize that some of the needs of the different "classes" of woodworkers are different.

Even though I am an amateur, and seldom make more than a couple of anything beyond a trivial stocking stuffer, the (retired) engineer in me still appreciates discussions about larger shops, better tools and more efficient techniques than I am likely to acquire or know.

But when the discussion includes budgetary constraints that rule out the best tool on earth, available only from the most blessed purveyors, somehow the wheels seem to come off.

-- Andy - Arlington TX
    Last edited by Andy D Jones; 08-19-2020 at 1:25 PM.

I give up.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut