Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me choose new ROS-please

Question Help me choose new ROS-please

Well, my Dewalt ROS (DWC6421) has died. I've been perfectly happy with it and it owes me nothing. That said, I'd like your thoughts before purchasing a new one. I'd like to stay under $200 and have some other wishes.

1) Uses 5" discs, hook & loop, as I have lots of stock.
    2) Reasonably ergonomic, as my adventure with the big C has left me with fatigue. The easier to operate, the longer I can spend in my shop.
    3) I have relatively small hands, so a smallish grip in more comfortable, though the Dewalt was fine in this regard.
    4) Decent dust collection.

Do you have a standout in your shop?

Thanks

Lisa, I've been satisfied with my Bosch ROS. It's about the same size as the Dewalt and is priced reasonable. They have several models in that size range that run from $60 and up.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I have three of the variable speed version of the Dewalt that you have, model 6423. I think they're supposed to be ergonomically the same as the 6421's, just a variable speed version. I think all three of mine together were right at the $200.00 mark.
    I like them.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

If you can't go to Festool or Mirka due to budget, then Bosch would be a good choice for quality, dust collection and reduced vibration. IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

5. I have 3 ROS sanders that always have 3 different grits installed. I work with small parts so I often sand for just a very short while with each grit before switching, so having three makes a lot of sense for me. Anyway I have Dewalt 26451s and can't imagine wanting them to do anything better than they do. Maybe I don't know what I am missing, but they seem to work well and have good ergonomics. There just isn't anything I'd complain about with them. At about $70 a piece you could almost get three for your $200 budget.

I have the DW6423, a PC 343VS, and I'm looking to get the Bosch ROS20VSC soon. The DFW & PC have worked very well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If you can't go to Festool or Mirka due to budget, then Bosch would be a good choice for quality, dust collection and reduced vibration. IMHO.
    I agree with this. I replaced my old PC with a Festool and the vibration reduction alone was worth it. If I actually used these things more often, it'd have been worth much more to me. Ergonomically it's much better than my PC ever was, the dust collection is far superior too.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I've been very happy with my Makita BO5041. Dust collection in its little bag works surprisingly well.

If you're a DeWalt fan, and if you have the 20V max tools already, give the cordless ROS a shot. I like it. NO, it's not as powerful as a corded, but it is nice to not have that cord that you have to deal with. Yes, the vac hose will still be in the way, but personally I don't use the vac.

This checks all your boxes. Sort of. The paper you have won't be as effective because the hole patters will be different. I'd suggest selling it on and use the correct paper or mesh abrasives.
    https://www.festoolusa.com/products/...5-req-plus-usa

This also checks a lot of boxes and might use the paper you have on hand. More $$$, and hard to find, but can use a 6" pad too !. Which you might find useful. It will also require you to re-learn -or- adjust how you hold a sander.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/bos...5vc-5-29852-p/

I still prefer that festool ,and would suggest going that route with some diablo mesh disks from the depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DIABLO-D...H50P/311196042

Dave - Thank you so much for the links. I had no idea there was a Festool in that price range. Pending further investigation, I imagine I'll be placing an order for the Festool.

What can you tell me about the mesh disks you linked? They aren't showing a hole pattern, which is odd unless the mesh allows dust extraction thru the entire disk.

Lisa - you're correct about the mesh. They work on everyone's hole pattern. They last longer (sorta) than reg. discs too. The exception is the edges are weak, so if you go up into a corner or catch it on a profile they tend to scrunch up and you have to swap. Old ones can be used for hand work though.

You'll NEED a backer interface or you'll tear up your sander's pad. Diablo includes one, but it doesn't work with festool.

Buy these:
    https://www.festoolproducts.com/fest...rs-2-pack.html

A nice thing about festool is you can try it for 30 days no obligation. You'll need to buy it locally for it to be practical because you pay return shipping if you avail yourself of the service. Maybe amazon would allow a way around this. Should be plenty of dealers in Cleveland and Pittsburgh to be practical. A bit farther near Akron is Hartville Tool . They're a huge Festool dealer, as well as lots o other goodies.

If you have a big compressor take a look at Dynabrade.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

You yourself a favor and just go with an Airvantage 5" DC brushless. You will wonder why you ever bothered with any of the 120v corded sanders. Smooth, fast, vibration free, super compact footprint, variable speed, paddle, it will likely be the best sander youve ever owned. Just pick your orbit.

These sander roast any AC corded sander out there hands down.

https://smile.amazon.com/AirVANTAGE-...7262850&sr=8-7

I'm beginning to think I collect ROS's...... I have the DWE6423K, a Rigid, a couple PC's, two Bosch's. I just bought the second Bosch (ROS65VC), after reading some comments on this site about how it doesn't vibrate, and has great dust collection. It does have terrific dust collection, but "no vibration"? Neh - it's about the same as my Dewalt. It's also bigger, clunkier to use. I hardly ever reach for it unless I know I'm about to make a lot of dust, so I then take the time to set up a vacuum. But - for all around ease of use, the Dewalt is the one I reach for.